Original Punch45!!!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello people. Hope all is well. At my shop last week, I came across this original Rockford Fosgate Punch45! The customer bought a new amp as this Punch45 has a burnout channel. I asked him if he still wanted it, and he said no. So, I brought it home.

This amp really brings back some car audio memories per se as I used to own (2) of them. That is, I had one bridged to a set of 12" original Punch subs, and the other powering my front and rears via 2 ohm stereo. All I gave up was front to rear fading. Anyways, just curious as to whether or not other members here owned one or two. If so, why not take a few moments and share with us about your awesome set-up in your car. Have a good day everyone.

Cheers,

Phil

PS: I will post some pics here shortly. ;);)

Last edited:
unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
Hello people. Hope all is well. At my shop last week, I came across this original Rockford Fosgate Punch45! The customer bought a new amp as this Punch45 has a burnout channel. I asked him if he still wanted it, and he said no. So, I brought it home.

This amp really brings back some car audio memories per se as I used to own (2) of them. That is, I had one bridged to a set of 12" original Punch subs, and the other powering my front and rears via 2 ohm stereo. All I gave up was front to rear fading. Anyways, just curious as to whether or not other members here owned one or two. If so, why not take a few moments and share with us about your awesome set-up in your car. Have a good day everyone.

Cheers,

Phil

That was one awesome amp back in the day. I never owned one but several of my buddies owned the 45 and the 75. I seen four 10" punch speakers on the punch 75.....wow it would thump. Nice find Phil. Ill bet you could get it repaired somewhere locally.

Peace,
Tommy

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That was one awesome amp back in the day. I never owned one but several of my buddies owned the 45 and the 75. I seen four 10" punch speakers on the punch 75.....wow it would thump. Nice find Phil. Ill bet you could get it repaired somewhere locally.

Peace,
Tommy
Yes, the original Punch45's were just awesome to say the least. The original Punch 12" subs had a 96db sensitivity rating and good Lord they were so loud! :eek::eek: I plan to see if I can get it repaired. Rockford told me they no longer have any parts, and etc. to service the original Punch amps. These were built by hand from what I understand. In fact, the rep told me one time that it took almost (3) weeks to make a Punch45. ;);) Too bad they are not made like that anymore.

Cheers,

Phil

itschris

itschris

Holy crap! That was my first Amp back in 1985/86 when car stereo hadn't even come to fruition to the mainstream. My first system... in a 1984 Chevette... was a Hi-Comp head unit and they mounted the Punch underneath it so I could use the tone controls! I had a box in the back with Alpine 6x9's and I believe Blau's 6' 2-ways. They had just opened their shop and they used me to get my friends to make the drive.

I had gone there for 10 years. they eventually got into home theater which is when I got my first real system... my Onkyo receiver, BIC speakers and Adcom amps.

WOW! I posted about this awhile back or maybe answered someone or got talking about it somehow, but seeing those pics really takes me back!!!!

I remember when I got my Daytona Turbo Z, I had 4 punch 150's mono'd into 4 Alpine 10's. That thing rocked. I eventually got their 1500 watt multichannel deal then swapped that out for all Alpine power when I got my Mustang SVO.

Awsome post. I coulld tallk about this crap all day long!!!!!!!!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Holy crap! That was my first Amp back in 1985/86 when car stereo hadn't even come to fruition to the mainstream. My first system... in a 1984 Chevette... was a Hi-Comp head unit and they mounted the Punch underneath it so I could use the tone controls! I had a box in the back with Alpine 6x9's and I believe Blau's 6' 2-ways. They had just opened their shop and they used me to get my friends to make the drive.

I had gone there for 10 years. they eventually got into home theater which is when I got my first real system... my Onkyo receiver, BIC speakers and Adcom amps.

WOW! I posted about this awhile back or maybe answered someone or got talking about it somehow, but seeing those pics really takes me back!!!!

I remember when I got my Daytona Turbo Z, I had 4 punch 150's mono'd into 4 Alpine 10's. That thing rocked. I eventually got their 1500 watt multichannel deal then swapped that out for all Alpine power when I got my Mustang SVO.

Awsome post. I coulld tallk about this crap all day long!!!!!!!!!
Wow Chris, very interesting reading about your progression. Yeah, when I seen it like you it brought back a whole lot of memories. It just amazes me how fast time goes by. Anyways, thanks for sharing my friend. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

itschris

itschris

My last real car system was in that Mustang. I eventually ended up with 2 Alpine Pro 15's and 2 Alpine 7" subs in a 7th order box powered by 3 Alpine 3545's. I had those 4" Alpine 6040's ( they were nicknamed screamers) in the back and in the doors. I also had their two way system with the crossovers which wasa 6 and half in the front door with the tweet in the dash corners and it had it's own active crossver box.... and I had a center channel!!!! We perfed my dash and put two more 6040's in there. I don't remember what other amps I had to power that though... I think they were 3525's. It's so bizare that after all these years I still remember model numbers and what not. I had 4 guage power cable and an alternator from a Ford ambulance.

CD players weren't common at that time so I still had my cassette head unit. They used to mount the Alpine eq above the deck which I thought looked pretty cool. They then came out with the standalone cd player which I got installed underneath all that.

The old Alpine was so damn cool with those beautiful glowing green lights. Nothing even approaches the looks of that equipment today. God that was a great time in my life!!!!!

J

jamie2112

Banned
Nice Phil ,are you going to fix it and use it? I never had a really good car system as I am on the road most of the time so I am not in the car a whole lot anyway. One day though I want to put my B&Ws in the car with a Krell amp.:eek:

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nice Phil ,are you going to fix it and use it? I never had a really good car system as I am on the road most of the time so I am not in the car a whole lot anyway. One day though I want to put my B&Ws in the car with a Krell amp.:eek:
LOL......not sure yet Jamie what I plan to do. I am really not into car audio anymore. I can sell it, but really could car-less about it. :eek::eek: I may see what it would cost if it can be fixed. Then, go from there. It just brings back a lot of good memories of the fun times I had when it was all about car audio for me. :cool::cool: But, that would be interesting to see some B&W's w.a Krell amp in your car...................LOL!!!! :p:p

Cheers,

Phil

J

jamie2112

Banned
I know , right? It would be a hoot to see that in a car Phil.....:eek:

itschris

itschris

Wow Chris, very interesting reading about your progression. Yeah, when I seen it like you it brought back a whole lot of memories. It just amazes me how fast time goes by. Anyways, thanks for sharing my friend. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil
Let me tell you... it became a total obsession. The next month I was up there and got rid of the the Blau's and got 2 7" Alpine subs in that box along with the 6x9's. I had no front speakers but I never heard anything sound so damn good. The first song I played leaving the shop was Bon Jovi Livin' On a Prayer!

Until then, I had never heard anything like that sound... BASS!

I remember within the next few months, I got my Daytona and I got a new box for it. I had moved up to 2 10's and we had the box carpeted to match my interior and I had 1 punch 150 mounted in between 2 punch 45's. It looked so damn cool. I still had the Hi-Comp and it used to have this really weird reverb kinda effect button which was kinda neat. But anyway, I remember sitting in the parking lot before school and everyone thought it was the baddest thing around. It was so cool!

The trend quickly caught on after that. I brought so many people to that shop that I basically never even paid for stuff. They'd get new stuff and would just install it in my car... sometimes without even telling me... just so I could go show off. I had a really nice car for back then. It was a 1984 garnete and silver Daytona Turbo Z and I had gold Enkei 92's on it. It was sharp. We'd head out every Friday and Saturday night to Clearwater beacha nd just cruise up and down the strip. Good times. Just damn good times.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I know , right? It would be a hoot to see that in a car Phil.....:eek:
Hoot-more like amazing. It would be fun if you ever decide to do it. Heck, I would just love to use a Krell amp at home........LOL!!!!! ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Let me tell you... it became a total obsession. The next month I was up there and got rid of the the Blau's and got 2 7" Alpine subs in that box along with the 6x9's. I had no front speakers but I never heard anything sound so damn good. The first song I played leaving the shop was Bon Jovi Livin' On a Prayer!

Until then, I had never heard anything like that sound... BASS!

I remember within the next few months, I got my Daytona and I got a new box for it. I had moved up to 2 10's and we had the box carpeted to match my interior and I had 1 punch 150 mounted in between 2 punch 45's. It looked so damn cool. I still had the Hi-Comp and it used to have this really weird reverb kinda effect button which was kinda neat. But anyway, I remember sitting in the parking lot before school and everyone thought it was the baddest thing around. It was so cool!

The trend quickly caught on after that. I brought so many people to that shop that I basically never even paid for stuff. They'd get new stuff and would just install it in my car... sometimes without even telling me... just so I could go show off. I had a really nice car for back then. It was a 1984 garnete and silver Daytona Turbo Z and I had gold Enkei 92's on it. It was sharp. We'd head out every Friday and Saturday night to Clearwater beacha nd just cruise up and down the strip. Good times. Just damn good times.
You know Chris, it can be really addictive just like home audio. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess the best sounding subs I ever owned were made by Soundstream. I had the Rubicon 12" powered by a Directed 250d amp. The bass was amazing-very loud, detailed, and articulate. My mids and highs were powered by a PPI 50 X 4 amp that was just as impressive. All of this was in a Honda CRX. I was hitting in the low 40's from what I remember. Not bad for a 250 watt amp on a pair of 12" subs in a sealed box. Eventually, I put a cap in to help my charging system. Man, those were the days. Seems like only yesterday. Thanks once again for sharing Chris.

Cheers,

Phil

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

Cheers,

Phil

Oh.. man do they bring back some memories! I just bought a new 85 Mustang GT and used 2 punch 45's to drive my rears. The original Rockford Fosgates were AMAZING amps and in my case I had them bridged driving a set of JBL 6"x9" (coaxial)speakers and because my Stang was a hatch back I had to build a custom box for my speakers:D. Needless to say they cost a pretty penny but heh...back in those days 40 something was light years away and all my hard earned money was spent on me or my car(damn kids):D

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh.. man do they bring back some memories! I just bought a new 85 Mustang GT and used 2 punch 45's to drive my rears. The original Rockford Fosgates were AMAZING amps and in my case I had them bridged driving a set of JBL 6"x9" (coaxial)speakers and because my Stang was a hatch back I had to build a custom box for my speakers:D. Needless to say they cost a pretty penny but heh...back in those days 40 something was light years away and all my hard earned money was spent on me or my car(damn kids):D
Hi billy and thanks for sharing. Sounds like we shared some of the same experiences. Most of my buddies always wondered what I did with all of my money. Truth be told, there really wasn't that much to begin with. ;);) However, of the money I did have it went into my car audio set-up. Now at 40-something, it continues, but with my home gear. Basically, I stay broke. :eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hi billy and thanks for sharing. Sounds like we shared some of the same experiences. Most of my buddies always wondered what I did with all of my money. Truth be told, there really wasn't that much to begin with. ;);) However, of the money I did have it went into my car audio set-up. Now at 40-something, it continues, but with my home gear. Basically, I stay broke. :eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil
Holy cow Phil Soundstream subs, if I had known:eek:. I did buy a Soundstream tunner for $1400.00 and of coarse the sales person told me they were the best tunners on the market or on par with the Nakamichi machines which sold for more:eek:. Needless to say I was a fish and it must of been tattooed on my forehead. Although I eventually had to give it all up after my car was broken into a second time mainly though because baby #1 was on the way.:)

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Holy cow Phil Soundstream subs, if I had known:eek:. I did buy a Soundstream tunner for $1400.00 and of coarse the sales person told me they were the best tunners on the market or on par with the Nakamichi machines which sold for more:eek:. Needless to say I was a fish and it must of been tattooed on my forehead. Although I eventually had to give it all up after my car was broken into a second time mainly though because baby #1 was on the way.:)
Wow billy $1400? Holy crap man. How long ago was that? I do know since Power Acoustik bought them they had a tuner out. Of course, since then they like many have not been the same. Electronics today are not made to last like they used to be.

Cheers,

Phil

itschris

itschris

You know Chris, it can be really addictive just like home audio. :rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess the best sounding subs I ever owned were made by Soundstream. I had the Rubicon 12" powered by a Directed 250d amp. The bass was amazing-very loud, detailed, and articulate. My mids and highs were powered by a PPI 50 X 4 amp that was just as impressive. All of this was in a Honda CRX. I was hitting in the low 40's from what I remember. Not bad for a 250 watt amp on a pair of 12" subs in a sealed box. Eventually, I put a cap in to help my charging system. Man, those were the days. Seems like only yesterday. Thanks once again for sharing Chris.

Cheers,

Phil
OOOOOOH Soundstream! That was high end stuff. I remember I tried out Canton's. They sounded so sweet, but I'd blew 2 sets and went back to the Alpines. I wish I had pictures. Earlier before I left the office I scoured Google trying to find old pics of Alpine equipment. I can't tell you how nights my friends and I sat in my garage building boxes. When I went up to 4 tens in my Daytona, the shop had made me a custom box that totally filled the rear hatch area and was form fit to all the curves and angles. That was nice. Even when I had the 15's, I still think the four tens sounded much better.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
OOOOOOH Soundstream! That was high end stuff. I remember I tried out Canton's. They sounded so sweet, but I'd blew 2 sets and went back to the Alpines. I wish I had pictures. Earlier before I left the office I scoured Google trying to find old pics of Alpine equipment. I can't tell you how nights my friends and I sat in my garage building boxes. When I went up to 4 tens in my Daytona, the shop had made me a custom box that totally filled the rear hatch area and was form fit to all the curves and angles. That was nice. Even when I had the 15's, I still think the four tens sounded much better.
Yeah Chris, the original Soundstream gear was nothing short of amazing. The Rubicons were really not that high up in the chain, but man did they ever kick some serious a$$!!!!! We really don't build boxes at my location anymore, but another location does. They have a full wood shop in the back whereas I don't. We do have a few guys that can really build some serious boxes when they want to. Notice the operative words "when they want to". :rolleyes::rolleyes: Most of us are really burned out, but we keep on trucking somehow. Anyways, thanks for sharing my friend.

Cheers,

Phil

itschris

itschris

Yeah Chris, the original Soundstream gear was nothing short of amazing. The Rubicons were really not that high up in the chain, but man did they ever kick some serious a$$!!!!! We really don't build boxes at my location anymore, but another location does. They have a full wood shop in the back whereas I don't. We do have a few guys that can really build some serious boxes when they want to. Notice the operative words "when they want to". :rolleyes::rolleyes: Most of us are really burned out, but we keep on trucking somehow. Anyways, thanks for sharing my friend.

Cheers,

Phil
I was going through a bunch of boxes last night trying to find an old Alpine amp I think I still have. I don't thinks it's from back in the day, but probably about 10 years old.

I had this really crazy idea about trying to find a 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z like I had and fixing it up into the way I used to have it. I think that'd be cool and probably not cost a whole lot.

I think the Alpine head unit I had was in my old Explorer, it just came out, it had the pop off face for security. I always thought that was pretty cool.... plus.. it still had the big green buttons. I wish they still had that look. I'd go buy a new stereo today.

You were talking about it being as addictive as home stereo. I think even more so because remember back then, Phil? What else did we have to think or worry about? It was cars and chicks... little else.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was going through a bunch of boxes last night trying to find an old Alpine amp I think I still have. I don't thinks it's from back in the day, but probably about 10 years old.

I had this really crazy idea about trying to find a 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z like I had and fixing it up into the way I used to have it. I think that'd be cool and probably not cost a whole lot.

I think the Alpine head unit I had was in my old Explorer, it just came out, it had the pop off face for security. I always thought that was pretty cool.... plus.. it still had the big green buttons. I wish they still had that look. I'd go buy a new stereo today.

You were talking about it being as addictive as home stereo. I think even more so because remember back then, Phil? What else did we have to think or worry about? It was cars and chicks... little else.
Hey Chris, you are exactly right. Except that I would say chicks and cars.......LOL!!!! ;);) It would be cool, however, if you did find an 84 Daytona and put a system together. Heck, if you do might as well go to a sound-off competition........right? If you do, please snap some pics. Oh, don't forget the hot chicks too! :D:D

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis