Ordered an Onkyo 886 Pre Pro today!

radridd

radridd

Audioholic
Woke up this morning, cruised through the forums, checked all outlets for prepros and accessories4less had a 886 refurb "Last One" listed for $1199. What can I say, I am a sucker for marketing. Been holding for the Emotiva umc-1 to work out. The second firmware is near to being released and will probably wish I had waited for the results.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Congrats.:D

You will be very happy with the 886. My 885 has been great.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats. Most people who buy these pre's are very happy. I can think of only two things off the top of my head that show a lack of good implementation.

1. If you bitstream TrueHD, the unit will always allow the autoflagging of DRC. You have to hit "late night" to defeat it, if so desired, unless you leave the unit on 24/7. Now, some people prefer the autoflagged DRC, and I think of one guy I respect quite a bit that does so with TDK. I've tried, and I hate it, always. If pre-decoded and sent as mch PCM, this obviously does not matter.

2. If you intend on using the Audyssey MultEQ XT, I'm pretty sure that you cannot apply the "flat" curve to stereo. Only the Audyssey house curve with rolled off HF. If you're not going to use XT, then don't worry about it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
It's a decent pre-pro though the 900 receiver is almost the same thing. Still it does have XLR outs. :D

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I've always wanted to look into an Onkyo pre pro (or one of their AVRs with pre outs) to connect to a multichannel amp; I never had the resources nor the wherewithal to implement such a system. I wish, additionally, that Onkyo broke out of the two-channel power amp category and started releasing multichannel beasts, but that's a discussion for another day...

I wanted to chime in regarding this comment by Josten:

1. If you bitstream TrueHD, the unit will always allow the autoflagging of DRC. You have to hit "late night" to defeat it, if so desired, unless you leave the unit on 24/7. Now, some people prefer the autoflagged DRC, and I think of one guy I respect quite a bit that does so with TDK. I've tried, and I hate it, always. If pre-decoded and sent as mch PCM, this obviously does not matter.
This is very interesting and something I have a good deal of experience with regarding my TX-SR605 AVR; I currently bitstream TrueHD from an Oppo BDP-83 to this unit, and EVERY single Blu-ray title with TrueHD audio causes my 605 to engage the "AUTO" Late Night compression feature. From what I understand this is totally normal, but there are some titles, like the first run of Iron Man, which actually caused receivers to engage Late Night to ON, completely, which strips dynamics from a soundtrack (unless you need it to, for late night viewing).

Otherwise, my 605 trips the AUTO Late Night on every TrueHD encoded disc I play; from what I have learned, the AUTO simply makes the receiver decide if the dynamic range compression actually needs to be applied based on the software, or some such reasoning, and this normally means NO compression is being used...however, just to be sure, I ALWAYS switch Late Night to OFF when a TrueHD track begins, from the AUTO position, incase compression is being used. It's a total pain in the ***, and I'm uncertain if this is just an "Onkyo thing."

But I'd love to hear more input about this pre pro, as if I end up going with separates down the road, I'd probably save up for one of these.

How come Onkyo doesn't offer pre pros from their consumer line, only the pro line?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Very close to my current 876 receiver. Which by the way, will be for sale shortly.
I really like the XLR out thing because it makes hooking up your receiver to pro devices so much easier. Next up a Behringer DCX2496 and a pair of Yamaha P2500S pro-amps. :D

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I wish, additionally, that Onkyo broke out of the two-channel power amp category and started releasing multichannel beasts, but that's a discussion for another day...
PSSST....look at the PA-MC5500.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I'm looking at the website daily. I'm getting ready to call them to see when its going to be released. Just that I live in South Korea and it cost me an arm and a leg to call back to the states.

I have checked locally here and I can get. I just want in 110V so that when I go back to the states I don't need a transformer to use it.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
I'm looking at the website daily. I'm getting ready to call them to see when its going to be released. Just that I live in South Korea and it cost me an arm and a leg to call back to the states.

I have checked locally here and I can get. I just want in 110V so that when I go back to the states I don't need a transformer to use it.
Thanks for your military service. I was in the USAF (1982-86). I was scheduled to go to Osan, AB - but, my orders were cancelled at the last minute due to the A.F. not wanting to send me to another school prior to the PCS. I was all prepared to rebuild my audio system with new gear purchased from Korea ... but, that never happened.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Thank you.

What gear would you buy from South Korea? I would buy a Panny TV over here in a second if I could find them.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Thank you.

What gear would you buy from South Korea? I would buy a Panny TV over here in a second if I could find them.
At the time, it was basically CRT-type televisions. However, I did hear from others who served over there that the BX would carry much better audio gear than we could get stateside.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
The BX does have some interesting stuff, just with the interent today its just way over priced.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis