Order of turning on/off equipment

J

Joseman37

Audioholic Intern
Hi there guys.
I was wondering whether the order of turning on/off equipment matters or not. Like, for example:

Turning on a subwoofer before or after I turn on my AV receiver.

What would be the appropriate order?

Thank you and stay healthy

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Sub and other external amplifiers turn off before AVR/pre and on after AVR/pre. That is the safest way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi there guys.
I was wondering whether the order of turning on/off equipment matters or not. Like, for example:

Turning on a subwoofer before or after I turn on my AV receiver.

What would be the appropriate order?

Thank you and stay healthy
Depends on the equipment- if the controller shuts off all signal as it turns off, it doesn't really matter as long as you don't hear a thump. If you do, use any 12V triggers that are available- this will make sure the power amp shuts off immediately but most subwoofers will stay on until the auto-sense has decided it's not needed. If this is used, the sub will naturally turn on after the AVR.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Everything EXCEPT my turntable, subwoofers, turntable pre-amp, speakers, are controlled by a 'universal' remote control device so when I press the OFF button on the remote it all powers off within milliseconds of each other.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
In pro audio the procedures are:

Turn-on sequence:
sources
control units & processors
power amplifiers

Turn-off sequence:
power amplifiers
control units & processors
sources

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With hdmi generally suggested to have the display to turn on first, then go backwards in the chain from there for turn-on sequence.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis