killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Would you consider magnetic tapes to be analogue in a strict sense of the word?

If yes, why?

Shouldn't we be talking about MAC - magnet to analogue converter?

Also, does anyone here know if + correlates to 1 and - to 0?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

If yes, why?

Not necessarily just analog- analog being a continuous waveform with frequency & amplitude changes over time, digital being discrete samples that are encoded & decoded with no amplitude variation other than going from 0 to the top of the square wave. Digital data can be, and has been, stored on and read from magnetic tape.

yes- 1 is on, 0 is off. There's no dropping below zero in digital.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

If yes, why?

Tape is a medium..nothing more nothing less. It can contain either analog data or digital data.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There were digital audio tapes made (aka DAT).
The reason digital was adopted was because it is much less sensitive to noise.
I am making up numbers to demonstrate the point. My specific number are wrong, but the concept is sound:)!
For a tape, you might consider the dynamic range in audio to be from 0% to 100% (at the point where the magnetic particles are saturated). Let's say you have a drum solo and at a certain point all you have is the cymbal ringing from an earlier hit followed by a hard rim shot. On an audio tape, this means you have 30% followed by 90% at the instance of the drum strike. On the tape you have a strong charge immediately adjacent (how immediately depends on the tape speed) to a low charge and the natural result is the higher charge area will bleed over to the lower charged areas making the attack less dynamic/sudden. Then there is also the potential for bleed through from the layer of tape above or below since magnetic charges produce fields that extend beyond the particle. Then there is the resolution capability of the head (which is also influenced by wear and or contamination). All of these play to reduce the quality of playback and they are generally additive over time.
For Digital, instead of needing to differentiate between 40% and 55% the signal is encoded such that particles are either charged or not - lets say 10% vs 90% and the head only needs to distinguish between <40% and >60% to correctly identify which is which. The potential for an area with 90% to bleed down to <40% or 10% to bleed above 60% makes for a much more rigorous storage of data.
The concept of breaking down sound into digital code intuitively can seem a bit offensive and over the years there has been no shortage of nay-sayers who believe digitizing "steals the soul out of the music", but I tend to look to video as proof that digitization is fully capable of containing all of the data required to present a finished presentation which is better than out ability to perceive flaws.
That and the fact that critical military and medical systems have chosen to rely on digitized content for their needs!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Once you convert to electricity, is anything truly analog? Maybe the wax cylinders cut with just focused soundwaves is really analog.... :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Once you convert to electricity, is anything truly analog? Maybe the wax cylinders cut with just focused soundwaves is really analog.... :)
From the perspective of this question, I think you could say that any information which is transmitted via a waveform is analog and information transmitted via discrete signals is digital.
So yes many electric signals are analog. Any electronics before the 50's was analog and it wasn't until the '70s that digital started becoming available in a prolific fashion.

Wikipedia:
A digital signal is a signal that is being used to represent data as a sequence of discrete values; at any given time it can only take on one of a finite number of values.[1][2][3] This contrasts with an analog signal, which represents continuous values; at any given time it represents a real number within a continuous range of values.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From the perspective of this question, I think you could say that any information which is transmitted via a waveform is analog and information transmitted via discrete signals is digital.
So yes many electric signals are analog. Any electronics before the 50's was analog and it wasn't until the '70s that digital started becoming available in a prolific fashion.

Wikipedia:

LOL not quite what I meant but thanks. My point is that the very term analog isn't what many imagine in terms of "purity".

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you all.

Since there's amplitude variation, as highfigh said or magnetic particles saturation, as KEW said, I get it.

I was reading an article on how a magnetic tape works and it was explaining it with magnetic polarity, so I though; polarity is N/S so it seemed binary... But yes, the intensity changes the story all together.

Analogy being trying to detect whether you can spot a correaltion between two observed phenomena - ie a rise on one side to correlate with a rise on the other - this would indeed be analogue technology.

In that case DAT would be a medium where 1 is written down as a magnetic + and 0 is written as magnetic -

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
NOw it got me interested in DAC in DATs...

Damn this hobby!!!!

highfigh

highfigh

The fact that it can be converted to electricity has nothing to do with whether it's analog or digital, the difference is in whether the signal is continuous or just groups and series of On/Off pulses that are encoded for later decoding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The fact that it can be converted to electricity has nothing to do with whether it's analog or digital, the difference is in whether the signal is continuous or just groups and series of On/Off pulses that are encoded for later decoding.
What is electricity doing? Could be that it isn't as continuous as you describe?

highfigh

highfigh

What is electricity doing? Could be that it isn't as continuous as you describe?
Dirty AC waveform doesn't make it 'digital'- the noise means nothing, unless there's a possibility that it's put there by, you know, aliens. Or the CIA. :)

Again, digital is an encoded signal, not just random pulses.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dirty AC waveform doesn't make it 'digital'- the noise means nothing, unless there's a possibility that it's put there by, you know, aliens. Or the CIA. :)

Again, digital is an encoded signal, not just random pulses.
Aliens or CIA is pretty much where I ended up alright.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis