Options with my ongoing screen upgrade conundrum

E

Erod

Audioholic
Hey, guys….

Here’s my screen conundrum, which has been dragging on for quite a while. Simply can’t make up my mind. The new G4 Stewart material has my juices flowing again.

JVC RS620 projector/Stewart 110-inch ST130 G3 screen at 16:9 ratio

60% sports/Netflix/Amazon/Youtube/videogames that are 16:9 content

40% scope movies

I absolutely do not want to sacrifice any of my current 16:9 image size regardless of screen type.

Option 1: Replace my ST130 G3 material with new Stewart G4 material
  • PROS
  • Improved image brightness and uniformity of new 1.3 gain material
  • Less expensive by keeping well-built Stewart Wallscreen Deluxe screen
  • No modifications needed to hang the screen in 5-inch deep pocket
  • Maintain current 16:9 image size, which is perfect for my seating distance
  • Sharper image at this size
  • CONS
  • Same size image on 2.35:1 material
  • Wasted $1,500 if I change my mind later
Option 2: Replace screen and material with Balon frame and G4 material
  • PROS
  • Increase screen size to 116 inches (11% increase)
  • Improved image brightness and uniformity of new 1.3 gain material
  • Can still use same same 5-inch deep pocket in wall for screen for clean look
  • CONS
  • Velux frame is only ½ inch, which might be difficult to overscan perfectly
  • Twice as expensive as just replacing material on 110” frame
  • Slight size difference on scope movie may not justify cost
Option 3: Replace screen with massive CIH option by pushing it out further to overlap wood trimming and maintain current image height of 16:9 screen
  • PROS
  • Keeps current 16:9 image size intact
  • Much wider and larger picture on 2.35:1 material
  • Could pay off when I buy a native 4K/8K projector and/or anamorphic lens down the road
  • No more letterbox bars
  • CONS
  • Image size potentially too overwhelming from 11.5 feet viewing distance
  • Image resolution and brightness suffers
  • Expensive, and may regret going this large
Option 4: Get a four-way masking system that can do a smaller 2.35: 1 image than Option 3 without sacrificing current 16:9 screen size
  • PROS
  • Full masking of any image ratio
  • Ability to choose preferred 2.35:1 image size for my MLP seating distance
  • Capability to put center channel behind screen (because I’d have to use Seymour because of cost)
  • Masking systems are cool and improve edge contrast dramatically
  • CONS
  • Far too expensive to do this with Stewart, so I’d need to use Seymour, which doesn’t have anything like the Stewart’s ST130 G4 material
  • Less image brightness by likely a significant margin
  • Far more complicated installation
  • Very expensive
Option 5: Do nothing, and just enjoy my already great image on my Stewart ST130 G3 screen
  • PROS
  • Free
  • I’ve enjoyed it for 13 years, and it’s in perfect condition
  • Avoid the regret of possibly making an unnecessary change
  • CONS
  • This keeps nagging at me as it has for some time
Of course, I realize I could add to these options, but I welcome anyone’s thoughts or experiences with this.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would get some cheap white fabric and try things out. Just a flat bedsheet from Walmart will do fine. It's not going to be great image quality, but that's not the goal here. The goal is to try the larger sizes and see if you actually do hate them.

I use a X590 (RS440) on a 161" screen and I sit about 15' eyes to screen. It's fun. But, with about 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance, you really aren't doing much different than what I am. I can definitely say that the added screen size is something I enjoy. But, with 2.35 content, it's the same issue you are dealing with.

Be aware, there are other options for masking other than purchasing a motorized solution. There are magnetic maskings options for screens which just snap into place and cover your current screen white areas with 2.35 material. You can also make masking systems yourself. Interesting project if you are a DiY type of person who can handle a screwdriver and do some sawing and similar type of work.

I personally have a real issue with 2.35 and the zoom method. I mean, if you are happy with a 130" 2.35 image that is zoomed in, why not just go ahead and get a 145" 16:9 screen and call it done? If you hate the white leftover screen with 2.35 content, then figure out a masking system that works for you. Lots and lots of fun ways to do things, but I think I would start by trying a different screen size. Go bigger and see how you like the 2.35 content at maximum width. If you hate it and decide you like what you have, then call it a day. I know that at 161" I don't crave more brightness really, so I'm not sure how much you are looking for other than with HDR content which is never really going to be bright enough with front projection I believe.

Go big, give it a try, then it will help direct the rest of your pathway.

Not sure new material will be a tremendous difference, I would have a really hard time suggesting that as a good idea.

E

Erod

Audioholic
I would get some cheap white fabric and try things out. Just a flat bedsheet from Walmart will do fine. It's not going to be great image quality, but that's not the goal here. The goal is to try the larger sizes and see if you actually do hate them.

I use a X590 (RS440) on a 161" screen and I sit about 15' eyes to screen. It's fun. But, with about 10" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance, you really aren't doing much different than what I am. I can definitely say that the added screen size is something I enjoy. But, with 2.35 content, it's the same issue you are dealing with.

Be aware, there are other options for masking other than purchasing a motorized solution. There are magnetic maskings options for screens which just snap into place and cover your current screen white areas with 2.35 material. You can also make masking systems yourself. Interesting project if you are a DiY type of person who can handle a screwdriver and do some sawing and similar type of work.

I personally have a real issue with 2.35 and the zoom method. I mean, if you are happy with a 130" 2.35 image that is zoomed in, why not just go ahead and get a 145" 16:9 screen and call it done? If you hate the white leftover screen with 2.35 content, then figure out a masking system that works for you. Lots and lots of fun ways to do things, but I think I would start by trying a different screen size. Go bigger and see how you like the 2.35 content at maximum width. If you hate it and decide you like what you have, then call it a day. I know that at 161" I don't crave more brightness really, so I'm not sure how much you are looking for other than with HDR content which is never really going to be bright enough with front projection I believe.

Go big, give it a try, then it will help direct the rest of your pathway.

Not sure new material will be a tremendous difference, I would have a really hard time suggesting that as a good idea.
Thanks for the reply.

The reports on the new ST130 G4 material are very encouraging. Including Kris Deering, who is a long respected reviewer at Sound & Vision, who suggested that the G4 material is about 10% brighter than the G3 I have with almost no sparkle and uniformity much like the ST100 material. He also claimed that HDR (tone-mapped SDR2020) looks better on it.

I've decided that, at the very least, I'm going to buy the new material. Now I need to decide if it's worth the additional $1200 to get a new frame to add more surface.

I don't like to go too big because of the loss in color saturation and "tightness" of the image. However, I know my RS620 can handle a larger image before that degradation begins. And eventually, I'm going to get a newer JVC once the HDMI 2.1 and laser is worked out in the NX models.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis