Optimizing with REW

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hi all,

Please bear with me... This is my very first attempt at measuring with REW so I don't really know what I'm doing. Based on some feedback in another thread I wanted to know more about what is going on with sound in my room and especially bass performance. So I've done a few measurements with the UMIK-1 microphone in my listening position. I tried from 0 to 80 Hz with phase set to 0 and 90 to begin with. Looks to me like 90 is a little better. I don't seem to get much bass below 25 Hz which is a little disappointing.

The other graph shows response from 10 to 20 KHz. I don't know if the big drop after 80 Hz is because I increased bass level because it wasn't quite punchy enough... It certainly looks a little unbalanced.

Would love some advice for sure!

/M

Attachments

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Btw: This must be with Audyssey and Dynamic EQ turned on. Not sure if that is the correct way to measure?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Measuring with Audyssey is okay, but a separate measurement without it would give you a “before and after” comparison to show what exactly it did. Don’t think I’d use dynamic EQ for measurements.

A subwoofer graph would be more useful if you run it up to about 200 Hz instead of stopping at 80 Hz.

How low a sub plays is dependent on the sub’s capabilities and placement in the room. I’ve seen 18” subs that should have been putting out well below 20 Hz that were “done” at 40 Hz, simply because of poor placement in the room.

It’s actually not a bad looking full-range graph. A bit more in the 100-250 Hz range would probably sound better.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

D

depechefan

Audioholic
I'm glad that you think the full-range graph looks good :) I've spent a good amount of time and money on the system. The sub supposedly is capable of 20 Hz: https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/silver/silver-w-12/

I'll try some measurements up to 200 Hz with Dynamic EQ off plus with/without Audyssey. I chose 80 Hz because I assumed that would give me the sub graph in isolation. If I go higher then the front speakers will be activated, right? Or should I choose a higher crossover frequency?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Turn off the main speakers for the sub measurement.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Would that be a setting in REW or should I unplug them?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Try turning them off in the AVR... if not, yes, unplug.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How many mic positions are you using? If just one that may not give you much of a picture....

D

depechefan

Audioholic
So I've been doing a ton of measurements - with REW so far only at my main listening position. I realize that I should do more but would like to make sure that I'm on the right track...

In my room I realistically have 5 places to put the sub. I have measured all of them and one of the corner positions looks to me to be the best option. I've attached measurements with phase at 0 and 180 so you can see them (REW format). So I've decided to stick with what I call corner position 2, phase 0 for now. I think it looks relatively good except that I don't get much output under 25 Hz and I have a dip at around 50 Hz. Can't see that I can do much to improve that unless I get a better sub or get additional subs (or both).

I have made a couple of full range measurements with and without Audyssey. I think the Audyssey graph looks OK but I also think I need more output from around 50 to around 150 Hz. Would you agree with that? And is there anything I can do to get that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

/M

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis