Optical Media Wrapping

Jaycan

Jaycan

Audioholic
I've had it already with the ridiculous packaging of DVDs and CDs. Seriously, is shoplifting so rampant that we all have to be treated like criminals. I can't count the about of jewel cases and DVD packaging that I've damaged just trying trying to open them in my car before getting home to my garage or kitchen. Has anyone ever opened one of these beasts in less than 5 minutes? Are customers in other countries also subjected to this "you're all criminals" packaging, or only us privileged US residents?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I agree 100% that we have to exert entirely too much effort when opening a DVD or CD. However I do think some of it has to do with keeping the disc in place for shipping purposes. (at least for DVDs)

I feel the same way about some surge protectors or cables. Especially the ones that come in the air tight plastic case that requires the use of some heavy duty scissors or an exacto knife (or a chainsaw) to get open. They treat it like it is food and seal it tight so it won't get contaminated. Give me a break!!

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I especially loath those little sticky security tags- it's bad enough when they put em in a regular DVD box, but with DVD-As they're typically stuck between layers of the clear case! :mad: To remove them you must take the case apart, which is very likely to break them as fragile as they are (much worse than a jewel case). And new ones are expensive & hard to find.

DVDs are just maddenly difficult to get at. Especially given the modern trend to stick tape on all the sides. Even given patience & time to open them it's still very easy to damage the case removing the tape.

One last thing I'm really starting to hate is those now boxes with two little latches on them. These used to be rare, but I'm seeing more and more of them. The latch is almost unnoticeable until you're tried to pry the case open for awhile. I've nearly broken several of these cases before I saw they had catches holding 'em shut.

Hollyweird is run by morons.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
CD jewel cases are easy to open. First, remove the plastic wrapper (Remember when CD's had a red tear-line like cigarettes?). Then unhinge the case with your thumbnails. Flip the front of the case over the back and slowly drag the two apart. The security sticker will come all the way off on end and mostly of the other, just pull it the rest of the way and and no need for razor blades (handy when you need to listen to a new CD in the car w/ no knife).

W

Westrock2000

Junior Audioholic
Whats interesting is that when I buy CD/DVD's here (USA) they usually have one of those security stickers on everyside :mad: , but then when I buy import albums, they usually just have a shrink wrap and thats it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis