Optical from TV help needed

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I have a older Vizio 1080 and in the audio setting I set it to Dolby Digital on the tv and no issues. My AVR is set to Optical on HDMI which Is TV/CD on my Integra AVR. Remember this only for over the air TV audio only. You getting any audio from the tv tuner?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know, for some reason I am really struggling with this. Last question, I hope - on my receiver when I want to play TV what function or setting should it be on?
Your Directv box you can use any hdmi input on the avr, usually one there's one designated for cable/sat but any hdmi input would work. If you want to use an app on the tv usually that's a tv specific input on the avr to use, whether the audio is via ARC or optical.

Are you phoning Vizio for advice when you say "Vizio says"? Have you used the Yamaha setup app described in the manual to help setup all the connections/speakers?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If your in the Florida fort Laud area I’d be happy to stop by and help.

P

Paulauryn

Enthusiast
Many thanks to all who responded. Problem solved using HDMI settings in receiver.

P

Paulauryn

Enthusiast
O@, I’m back with a new issue. As I said it is now working but the sound cuts out intermittently when playing TV audio. On the receiver screen it shows the speaker symbols then they disappear with the sound for a few seconds and then it all comes back. I am stumped once again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
O@, I’m back with a new issue. As I said it is now working but the sound cuts out intermittently when playing TV audio. On the receiver screen it shows the speaker symbols then they disappear with the sound for a few seconds and then it all comes back. I am stumped once again.
That should not be happening. I fear it may be because your TV and receiver have different versions of HDMI. I was worried about that. I have also run into an incompatibility issue once connecting different versions of HDMI. You with solve it with a higher speed HDMI cable. What version is HDMI is your cable rated for? You need to make sure your cable is at least version 2.0. Hopefully that will solve it for you.

P

Paulauryn

Enthusiast
Thanks. At about 12:30 AM last night I think I resolved it. I reset the receiver to factory settings and reconnected the ARC setup. Before the reset I noticed “enhancer” on the display. After reset that was gone and seemingly so was the audio cut outs. I will monitor today to see if that was indeed the fix and will provide an update.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You may experience problems with ARC from time to time. With no real standard for a feature set and even a name across different manufacturers for HDMI-CEC, problems with ARC are common. Unplugging devices or performing a reset is common practice to get it to work again. Make sure to use an HDMI 2.0 certified cable rated for 18gbps. Non certified cables and those with say 10gbps ratings may work intermittently.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That should not be happening. I fear it may be because your TV and receiver have different versions of HDMI. I was worried about that. I have also run into an incompatibility issue once connecting different versions of HDMI. You with solve it with a higher speed HDMI cable. What version is HDMI is your cable rated for? You need to make sure your cable is at least version 2.0. Hopefully that will solve it for you.
HDMI cables do not come with hardware designations like "2.0". They are rated by capacity.

P

Paulauryn

Enthusiast
Problem resolved. After all the time and effort it all turned out to be bad cables, both optical and HDMI. I never thought about the cables being at least 8-10 years old. I purchased new cables to run outside the wall as a test and voila no issues. Now I need to find a good in wall HDMI cable for a 50 foot run. I wish it were less but I can’t change my room lol.
Any suggestions for a good 50’ in wall HDMI that won’t break the bank?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I bought this in feb. fairly thin in person. I got a short run, so I don’t need 50 ft. Buy and see if it works if not return to amazon.
4K HDMI Cable - Rommisie 50 FT(HDMI 2.0,18Gbps) Ultra High Speed Gold Plated Connectors,Ethernet Audio Return,Video 4K,HD 1080p FullHD UHD 3D Compatible with Xbox Playstation Arc PS3 PS4 PS9 PC HDTV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQRQ1YP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Z771Eb0FRNGHZ

P

Paulauryn

Enthusiast
Thanks. I remeasured and can get away with 40’. I will check this out.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That fits the bill. Thanks!
Like I said try it before install to make sure it works to your liking good luck glad you got it figured out. Also be nice to see the full setup. I like pics.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis