Oppo's up-converting DVD player

A

alikat

Audiophyte
So I was a little bummed when my DVD player died last week (only slightly bummed because I payed almost nothing for it), until I replaced it with the new love of my life: Oppo's OPDV971H 720p/1080i up-converting, HDTV-ready DVD player!! Try saying that 3 times fast :D

Anyway, it's one of the best things I've ever bought for myself, aside from my hair straightener, which was also life changing. The picture is so clear and pretty, it's unbelievable! It was well worth every penny and I watched movies on it all weekend. I just had to tell someone about it- has anyone else had the pleasure of using this DVD player??

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Ahhh

you can say that again!! The oppos are both considered great buys and the oppo dv971 P/Q via digital connection is as good as it gets!!:D

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
I want one!! :D Just need to get an HDTV and speakers first ;) But I will!

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I have the DV-970 hooked up to my 56" 5686w samsung, and it really does make normal dvd's look good. I would have to say a near-hd quality picture would be a fair assessment. It isn't as clear as my hd-channels, but it is better than the progressive scan panasonic I had them hooked up to prior to buying the Oppo for a measly $150 + delivery. Great deal. And a pleasure to order through. Totally painless and fast.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I was going to spring for the Tosh HD DVD player, but they were out of stock. I was on the fence regarding the format wars so I went with the 971H when I purchased a new Mits 57" 1080P DLP. I'd heard there were macro blocking issues, but what the heck, upscaler with DVD A, Faroudja...bought it the next day from their Mountain View office. On my set, it's pretty damn close to HD quality, no macroblocking once I got it setup right. DVD A, once I got the bass calibrated correctly was a huge improvement (BM is a bit lean). For $200, this is a great buy.

I'm still going to upgrade to HD DVD or Blu-Ray when the dust settles, but I'm in no hurry.

A

alikat

Audiophyte
Oppo LCD TV/DVD Player Combo

Has anyone seen oppo's LCD TV with the built-in DVD Player? I love my Oppo DVD player, but i kind of want to get the combo for my bedroom. It looks awesome. Let me know if you've tried it and loved it...please!

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
I have been reading about the 971H lately, Secrets article and forum threads, and considering it as a replacement for my 6 year old Pioneer 341.

I am concerned with some of the macroblocking concerns I have read about and certainly do not want to spend money on a player that may not play all my dvd's. A second concern is pq on my tv, using dvi to dvi.

My tv is a 3 year old Mits that displays 480i,480p and 1080i only.

I spoke to a Oppo customer service person yesterday and he told me that if I set the 971 to display at 720 I would have no problems at all. I will be calling Mits today to see if they can give me any advice.

Is anyone using the 971, or have knowledge of pq, with dvi to dvi on an older model tv? And if so how satisfied are you?
Also those that are using it what adjustments did you make for the macroblocking issue.

Thanks,
Kai

fatroz

fatroz

Audioholic Intern
Clint DeBoer said:
I asked to review it but haven't heard anything...
I am I the only one here who hates Clint:D . Just kidding of course. I wish I could just call up companies and ask to demo their stuff. I wish I had your job, as do many others here I'm sure. Keep up the great work guys. Oh yeah, and thanks for the Impact Acoustics cables:D . I am one of Septembers winners.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
It should be mentioned that the Oppo OPDV971H is the older model OPPO. The new unit is DV-970HD and sells for $150.00 plus a few bucks shipping. This is probably the biggest bang for your buck that you are ever going to see in DVD players. Simply go to their website a check it out. No, I am not a shill for OPPO. I bought one of their machines recently and can't tell you enough of how pleased I am with it.

P

Pianoman84d

Audioholic
In all fairness, the older model oppo uses different video processing than the new one. So, it may be a better buy for some people. they are both different:)

htjunky

htjunky

Enthusiast
The new Oppo DV-981HD looks to be a very promising looking dvd player. it's like the OPDV971H except that it has an HDMI out, 1080p processing and SACD playback. Just something to consider if anyone is looking into buying an Oppo player anytime soon.:)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
htjunky said:
The new Oppo DV-981HD looks to be a very promising looking dvd player. it's like the OPDV971H except that it has an HDMI out, 1080p processing and SACD playback. Just something to consider if anyone is looking into buying an Oppo player anytime soon.:)
and I think it may be available in black.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis