Oppo - UHD-203 modification

C

chip1

Audiophyte
hello to all you audiophiles out there,
I would like to know if anyone out there has done a oppo-203 mod with the oppo-mod from china using the linear power supply-SE VERSION and if so was there a difference in audio & video quality? is the purchase price of the upgrade worth it? as i'm considering doing the upgrade but don't want to shell out $360.00 dollars if the upgrade is not worth it. As you can see on the selling websites like audiogon, audiocircle and e-bay the discountiuned oppo player's like the udp-203 & 205 are selling at extremely outrageous over the top prices. i'm not one to pay triple or quadruple the price of a unit that was going for $1,299.00. I own four oppo player's the 105d,103d,103 and the 203. can anyone answer this question for me? it will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
hello to all you audiophiles out there,
I would like to know if anyone out there has done a oppo-203 mod with the oppo-mod from china using the linear power supply-SE VERSION and if so was there a difference in audio & video quality? is the purchase price of the upgrade worth it? as i'm considering doing the upgrade but don't want to shell out $360.00 dollars if the upgrade is not worth it. As you can see on the selling websites like audiogon, audiocircle and e-bay the discountiuned oppo player's like the udp-203 & 205 are selling at extremely outrageous over the top prices. i'm not one to pay triple or quadruple the price of a unit that was going for $1,299.00. I own four oppo player's the 105d,103d,103 and the 203. can anyone answer this question for me? it will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
What is it about the 203 that you think is lacking and that may be improved by a linear P/S?

C

chip1

Audiophyte
What is it about the 203 that you think is lacking and that may be improved by a linear P/S?
hello slipperybidness, thanks for the reply.
I have been reading a lot on the forums about these upgrades. I enjoy trying different things out for my system from time to time, especially now that everyone is swearing about the greatness of the oppo-UHD 205 which I missed out on getting my hands on one. I got lucky by getting the 203 as a floor model from best buy at the end of last year august. I also did a comparison of audio sound from my 105d to the 203 and the 105d won it has much punch in action scenes, explosions and gun fire. I was just wondering if this particular upgrade would be beneficial to my system and ears. will I hear and see the difference?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your call but I have no inclination to even consider a mod of my 203, can't imagine what could be improved by some tweak/mod from some dude on the internet....and prefer to keep my warranty. Did you run mods/tweaks on all your other Oppos? Why so many?

C

chip1

Audiophyte
Your call but I have no inclination to even consider a mod of my 203, can't imagine what could be improved by some tweak/mod from some dude on the internet....and prefer to keep my warranty. Did you run mods/tweaks on all your other Oppos? Why so many?
hey lovinthehd, thanks for your reply.
the answer to your question is no have not tweaked any of my other players. the reason i have four of them is because i'm using the 103d processor with my cable box with hdmi in and out in my master bedroom, the 103 in my daughter's room and the 105d in my home theater system for bluray's and i'm using the pandora app in the unit since oppo decided to remove all the apps from thier new 203 & 205 units. i'm using the 203 for 4k UHD only.

when i compared the the two units the 105d and the 203 the 105d won hands down the sound on the 105d is awesome. the 203 is lacking a little punch. i was wondering if the upgrade to a linear power module would take the audio up a notch or two.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
hey lovinthehd, thanks for your reply.
the answer to your question is no have not tweaked any of my other players. the reason i have four of them is because i'm using the 103d processor with my cable box with hdmi in and out in my master bedroom, the 103 in my daughter's room and the 105d in my home theater system for bluray's and i'm using the pandora app in the unit since oppo decided to remove all the apps from thier new 203 & 205 units. i'm using the 203 for 4k UHD only.

when i compared the the two units the 105d and the 203 the 105d won hands down the sound on the 105d is awesome. the 203 is lacking a little punch. i was wondering if the upgrade to a linear power module would take the audio up a notch or two.
Can you expand on what connections for the two were used for the audio comparison and how you did it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis