oppo UDP205 Last Firmware

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have not seen any for sale or hype in the media about them unlike when Oppo released a new model, as I recall for a while there was competition between Oppo and Cambridge Audio players and what was the better make, as I recall the main difference was the DAC and one having a warmer sound, am fairly certain they were made in the same factory in China.

So far I have seen nothing to even consider replacing my Oppo.
A faint memory says one model of Cambridge disc players did use an Oppo base....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have not seen any for sale or hype in the media about them unlike when Oppo released a new model, as I recall for a while there was competition between Oppo and Cambridge Audio players and what was the better make, as I recall the main difference was the DAC and one having a warmer sound, am fairly certain they were made in the same factory in China.

One player cannot have a warmer sound than another unless its frequency response is not linear over the audible frequency range. That is almost impossible with today's technology. That assumption of warmer sound with a DAC was mostly advanced by some false marketing or web info.

By the way, the Oppo players are true universal players while the Cambridge is not as it won't play SACDs nor DVD Audio discs.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
A faint memory says one model of Cambridge disc players did use an Oppo base....
Yes it was at the time that Oppo were making the BDP-103/105 series of players, a workmate auditioned both and purchased the Cambridge Audio Azur 752bd unit, they used the same Video Processing.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
One player cannot have a warmer sound than another unless its frequency response is not linear over the audible frequency range. That is almost impossible with today's technology. That assumption of warmer sound with a DAC was mostly advanced by some false marketing or web info.

By the way, the Oppo players are true universal players while the Cambridge is not as it won't play SACDs nor DVD Audio discs.
I disagree as I have listened to both my Oppo BDP95 and the Cambridge unit on my setup the sound different full stop in Stereo Audio,the Cambridge used the Wofsen DAC and the Oppo the ESS brand.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Magnetar seems to be an option for those wanting a "higher end" universal player yet:

My Oppo 203 doesn't get used a lot any more but was still going strong the last time I used it.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
Magnetar seems to be an option for those wanting a "higher end" universal player yet:

My Oppo 203 doesn't get used a lot any more but was still going strong the last time I used it.
Wow that looks nice but the price is sky high, converted to local currency that would double what I paid for my Oppo.

Wonder what the GUI looks looks as aside from the case it could be an Oppo.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Wonder what the GUI looks looks as aside from the case it could be an Oppo.
Digital Trends did two videos on the higher end model.

The first was an unboxing/reveal.

The second was a proper review:

The base GUI does look fairly similar to the one on my Oppo 203.

Definitely pricey, but certainly not intended for the mainstream or budget-oriented market.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Cambridge used the Oppo internals for certain models, so while the units themselves were not built in the same factory, the key mechanisms were.

I still own a 105 and 205. I stopped even looking at other players after picking up the 205.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cambridge used the Oppo internals for certain models, so while the units themselves were not built in the same factory, the key mechanisms were.

I still own a 105 and 205. I stopped even looking at other players after picking up the 205.
Curious, did you think about Reavon much? While I picked up the 203 at the time they cut off sales, do kinda wish I'd grabbed a 205 as well to fund it and more :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No real interest in the Reavon unless the 205 goes belly up. There was an earlier discussion about it, but I didn't get the impression it was better, or even equivalent to the 205.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No real interest in the Reavon unless the 205 goes belly up. There was an earlier discussion about it, but I didn't get the impression it was better, or even equivalent to the 205.
I haven't paid attention for a while but does seem they could be an option. I hope Oppo Digital keeps their support going. I've had no issues with my 203.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis