oppo UDP205 Last Firmware

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
I have a Oppo UDP-205 it works fine but from what I can tell there is a final firmware update but I cannot locate it, trying to update on line fails and i have found out I have to download it and use a USB stick to upgrade it, current firmware is 20XAU-60-0625, I live in New Zealand so its an Australian model.

On the web from Oppo Australia/NZ it tells ne the final version is UDP20X-65-0131 and the intermediate version is UDP20X-45-0605 and this must be installed if the current version is lower before installing the final version.

Anyone know where I can get the download as looking at it I don't think I need the intermediate version, and am interested in what this last update has.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
According to the US site the final version is from Feb 8 2019 (and ends 0131) and provides:
  1. Added the "HDMI IN BYPASS" mode for Dolby Vision passthrough via HDMI In.
  2. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.
The f/w ending 0625 was the previous version according to the US site and you can do the download of 0131 via the web. https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-65-0131.aspx

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
According to the US site the final version is from Feb 8 2019 (and ends 0131) and provides:
  1. Added the "HDMI IN BYPASS" mode for Dolby Vision passthrough via HDMI In.
  2. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples.
The f/w ending 0625 was the previous version according to the US site and you can do the download of 0131 via the web. https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-65-0131.aspx
Thanks but have found the version for the AU/NZ machines on this site.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wonder how different f/w needs to be for the different countries.....

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
i have found out I have to download it and use a USB stick to upgrade it,
Always download any upgrade to a USB stick.. Then transfer it to the Oppo, or what-ever. There's a very good reason for doing this, Should anything happen with the download, it will convert your player into a brick. I've seen it happen.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
Always download any upgrade to a USB stick.. Then transfer it to the Oppo, or what-ever. There's a very good reason for doing this, Should anything happen with the download, it will convert your player into a brick. I've seen it happen.
Yeah I am aware of that but up until this last update I always di it via online without issues, seems Oppo have closed that side of it down now.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
Wonder how different f/w needs to be for the different countries.....
I wondered about that myself so did a bit of digging and found nothing, however it seems that AU/NZ is not alone in this as I found there is a different file for players for the EU market, thinking about it it may be something to do with the Disk Software Zoning, other than that I have no idea.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Last of the best Blu-ray player ever. Still going strong huh. Wish I had jumped on one.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
Last of the best Blu-ray player ever. Still going strong huh. Wish I had jumped on one.
I can agree with you on that, I managed to get one of the last 50 imported in to NZ, I then gave my BDP95 to my son who has also become a HiFi nutcase.

I cannot believe the price used units are fetching these days either.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I can agree with you on that, I managed to get one of the last 50 imported in to NZ, I then gave my BDP95 to my son who has also become a HiFi nutcase.

I cannot believe the price used units are fetching these days either.
Yep they are still commanding a good price and worth the money. What's out now, nothing comes close to those. I think Panasonic has one similar but still can't hold a candle to what you have. That 205 and the 203 were beastly! Can't kill'um, they don't skip they don't freeze up. Awesome video/audio output.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not so sure about that. I have a UDP203. The much more affordable Sony UBP-X800 doesn't look as sturdy in built but I also own one and it performs just as well. IMO, it isn't worth spending more money to get a UDP205.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I'm not so sure about that. I have a UDP203. The much more affordable Sony UBP-X800 doesn't look as sturdy in built but I also own one and it performs just as well. IMO, it isn't worth spending more money to get a UDP205.
I've been through so many Blu-ray players since 2010, from Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic, Phillips none have held up pass 3 years. The X700m I have now is my 4th one now. But with that said the x700m I have now, lil over 3 years old so. But than again it isn't used as heavily as the others were. Most of the others were dual use, in a very heavy video/audio use. I'd leave a CD playing on very low volume all night. I used music CD 'Blow Up Hollywood" as sleep music. So there's that. But I'd Seriously doubt I'd get 5 years use or so out of any one of those brands.

Last edited:
P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
Yep they are still commanding a good price and worth the money. What's out now, nothing comes close to those. I think Panasonic has one similar but still can't hold a candle to what you have. That 205 and the 203 were beastly! Can't kill'um, they don't skip they don't freeze up. Awesome video/audio output.
I knew I had seen something about a manufacturer who has made a universal player since Opo pulled the pin, here is what I found this morning. How good it really is is anyone's guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I knew I had seen something about a manufacturer who has made a universal player since Opo pulled the pin, here is what I found this morning. How good it really is is anyone's guess.

These are touted as Oppo substitutes, but haven't seen a lot to back it up. For all I know same factory with borrowed tech, tho. Support/longevity will tell ?

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
These are touted as Oppo substitutes, but haven't seen a lot to back it up. For all I know same factory with borrowed tech, tho. Support/longevity will tell ?
Agreed and they are made in France I believe.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed and they are made in France I believe.
Yes, they are made in France. They are not a universal disc player though.

I have an older Oppo player, but it has serious compatibility issues, and does not conform to standards, so that is relegated to a secondary two Channel system. I have the top end Panasonic and Sony players. The Panasonic is not a universal player, but otherwise works fine. I think I like the Sony the best. It is a truly universal player. It got off to a rocky start with lockups. However after some Firmware updates, it has been fine and I really like it. I think I would recommend that as the one to have. It is very good value for money.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see Reavon is a french company but I keep seeing photos with no serial number or country of origin markings, likely courtesy of the marketing department. Fairly certain its made in China, maybe "designed in France" ? Seem to remember the original importer (sort of distributor) saying as much. Love to see some proof one way or the other.

P

Phil J N.Z.

Junior Audioholic
I have not seen any for sale or hype in the media about them unlike when Oppo released a new model, as I recall for a while there was competition between Oppo and Cambridge Audio players and what was the better make, as I recall the main difference was the DAC and one having a warmer sound, am fairly certain they were made in the same factory in China.

So far I have seen nothing to even consider replacing my Oppo.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The Sony UBP-X800 and X800M2 are very good players with a few differences between them. I just couldn’t justify the cost of the Oppo 205. The X800 diid have an issue with a DVD the other day. I decided to clean it. It is well built but not easily dismantled and care needs to be taken when doing so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis