Oppo UDP-203 & UDP-205 Ultra HD Blu-ray Players Review

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wonder about the claim that Oppo warranty is unaffected...Oppo agrees it either does no harm or do they agree that there is any (measurable) improvement?
I doubt the improvement, value, and expect that it does create hardware support issues.

- Rich

Last edited:

2channel lover

I wonder about the claim that Oppo warranty is unaffected...Oppo agrees it either does no harm or do they agree that there is any (measurable) improvement?
I'm not sure on either count, falls into that buyer beware area.

S

sterling shoote

Would a modified UDP-205 produce better than this? Show me some measurements.

SPECIFICATIONS
(Stereo Audio Output)Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 120dBr
THD+N: < 0.00018%
Output Level: (RCA) 2.1±0.2Vrms. (XLR) 4.2±0.4Vrms
Dynamic Range: > 120dB
Crosstalk: > 118dBAnalogue Audio Characteristics**
(Multi-channel Audio Output)Frequency Response: 20Hz – 160kHz (-3dB ˜ +0.05dB)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 120dBr
THD+N: < 0.00031%
Output Level: 2.1±0.2Vrms
Dynamic Range: > 120dB
Crosstalk: > 118dBHeadphone Audio Characteristics**Frequency Response: 20Hz – 80kHz (-2dB ˜ +0.05dB) into 32ohm
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 105dBr into 32ohm
THD+N: < 0.01% into 32ohm and 50mW
Maximum Output Power: 590mW into 32ohm
Dynamic Range: > 115dB into 32ohm

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
Yep.

As it stands, there are plenty of differences between the 203 and 205, but in terms of SQ improvements, they're relatively minor...I wouldn't expect the SQ improvements of the "signature" to be much better than the 205.

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
hello 2channel lover,
what exactly do you mean by SQ improvements ?
best regards,
frans callebaut

S

sterling shoote

hello 2channel lover,
best regards,
frans callebaut
Sound quality improvements are measurable; yet, the folks which are marketing an improved 205 do not state specifications. Interestingly enough, their advertising contradicts OPPO's advertising, whereby OPPO alludes to making the 205 as great as possible, materials, design, and construction. This means either OPPO was lying, or the marketer of the so called improved product is lying. BTW, I just left eBay where new OPPO 205s are being offered at about $3000.00. I'm wondering if the market will bare that cost?

2channel lover

hello 2channel lover,
best regards,
frans callebaut
Exactly?...the online brochures of both units spell that out in detail from the manufacturers perspective, but one notable one is the DAC in the 205.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I had a 103 for years and LOVED it. Then my TV died, so I got a 4K UHD TV. That meant a new receiver and a new BDP. For the BDP, I got an Oppo 203. Now I love 4K UHD movies... but there's a problem.

I use HDMI for main surround audio. I also use wireless headphones in addition to the main system surround, so I can walk out on the porch and still hear the show while my wife's listening in surround is uninterrupted. The Oppo 103 had RCA Stereo Audio Out connections, (in addition to HDMI). It let me connect an Oppo stereo pre-amp signal to Zone-2 of my receiver, then the headphones to the Zone-2 output.

But the Oppo 203 has no such output. It does have the 7.1 analog outputs. So here's my question. Is there a way to set the HDMI output to retain the native format of a BD for my surround system AND set the analog outputs to Stereo so the analog signal is completely contained in the FL & FR analog outputs?

I can currently connect 2 RCA cables from Oppo FL & FR to my receiver Zone-2 and it works fine, but I only get the FL & FR signal, (no or very little dialog since I'm missing the Center speaker output). Or I can connect the cables to Center and FL or FR, or any other combination, but I can't figure out how to get the entire signal in stereo format. I've played with the settings a bunch, but there are too many acronyms I don't understand to really know what I'm doing.

Ideas? Thanks.

RichB

RichB

I had a 103 for years and LOVED it. Then my TV died, so I got a 4K UHD TV. That meant a new receiver and a new BDP. For the BDP, I got an Oppo 203. Now I love 4K UHD movies... but there's a problem.

I use HDMI for main surround audio. I also use wireless headphones in addition to the main system surround, so I can walk out on the porch and still hear the show while my wife's listening in surround is uninterrupted. The Oppo 103 had RCA Stereo Audio Out connections, (in addition to HDMI). It let me connect an Oppo stereo pre-amp signal to Zone-2 of my receiver, then the headphones to the Zone-2 output.

But the Oppo 203 has no such output. It does have the 7.1 analog outputs. So here's my question. Is there a way to set the HDMI output to retain the native format of a BD for my surround system AND set the analog outputs to Stereo so the analog signal is completely contained in the FL & FR analog outputs?

I can currently connect 2 RCA cables from Oppo FL & FR to my receiver Zone-2 and it works fine, but I only get the FL & FR signal, (no or very little dialog since I'm missing the Center speaker output). Or I can connect the cables to Center and FL or FR, or any other combination, but I can't figure out how to get the entire signal in stereo format. I've played with the settings a bunch, but there are too many acronyms I don't understand to really know what I'm doing.

Ideas? Thanks.
Use Down Mix mode Stereo.
From the 203 user manual:

If your audio system offers only stereo audio inputs, or if you would like to connect a dedicated stereo audio system in addition to the surround audio system which is already connected to the HDMI or S/PDIF outputs, you can connect the dedicated stereo audio system to the FL (Front Left) and FR (Front Right) outputs of the player. In the Setup Menu, set the Down Mix Mode to Stereo in the Speaker Configuration section (refer to Down Mix Mode on page 64).

- Rich

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Use Down Mix mode Stereo.
From the 203 user manual:

If your audio system offers only stereo audio inputs, or if you would like to connect a dedicated stereo audio system in addition to the surround audio system which is already connected to the HDMI or S/PDIF outputs, you can connect the dedicated stereo audio system to the FL (Front Left) and FR (Front Right) outputs of the player. In the Setup Menu, set the Down Mix Mode to Stereo in the Speaker Configuration section (refer to Down Mix Mode on page 64).

- Rich
Thanks, Rich! Must have read thru that a dozen times. Don't know how I missed it. You ARE the Oppo Man! Thank You!

RichB

RichB

Thanks, Rich! Must have read thru that a dozen times. Don't know how I missed it. You ARE the Oppo Man! Thank You!
Actually, Bob Pariseau is THE man. I am an understudy. :)
Oppo, heavy sigh.

- Rich

S

sterling shoote

Actually, Bob Pariseau is THE man. I am an understudy. :)
Oppo, heavy sigh.

- Rich
I went to Bob on several ocassions after misreading the OPPO manual or simply not understanding it. For the most part, I do not understand anything about wireless operation, DLNA, server recognition ,and other functions not associated with SACD disc playback. Thing is, I still do not understand for sure if I have applied all settings for the greatest pleasure. In fact, I can't even remember what I set, or how I set some of the unit's parameters. The other day, I decided I wanted to hear some hi-res ALAC files in iTunes via the OPPO's usb DAC. It took me about 15 minutes just to figure out the sequence of operations just to get the ball rolling. From that experience I decided to just write the sequence down:
1. turn on iTunes/set prepro to CD
2. check speaker output from computer is set to OPPO
3. turn on TV
4. press Home on TV remote control
5. press Input on OPPO remote control
6. scroll to usb DAC on TV from OPPO remote control
7 .press Enter on OPPO remote control
8. turn off TV
At any rate, easiest thing is playing BDs and SACDs just insert disc and power up pre amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis