Oppo UDP-203 & UDP-205 Ultra HD Blu-ray Players Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi Gene, love the review. Can you elaborate on the headphone output? Is it up to the quality of the rest of the player? I have Sennheiser HD600 cans.(300 ohm) Old but I enjoy them. Would there be a marked improvement using a quality headphone amp over the UDP-205.
I used to have the HD600s as well and I really miss them now. The UDP-205 headphone amp is really good. The only reason I'd use a separate amp would be for convenience and/or the ability to apply EQ. I currently have the Oppo PM-1's which sadly need some EQing to sound their best which you can't do via the UDP-205.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
For UHD streaming, I use the Apple TV 4k and LG C7 Netflix and Amazon apps and the HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC)). The C7 and ATV4K are fast and work very well. Netflix supports UHD and Dolby Vision on both streamers. Amazon support HDR-10 on both.

For Audio, I cannot use the XMC-1 ARC working on my unit but Emotiva will fix it free of charge but I am waiting for their HDMI 2.0b V3 board before sending it in. While it is being upgraded, I will use the UDP-205 as a preamp. I have tested it directly to my amps and it sounds fantastic. The analog outs are a great option if you don't want or need PEQ and REQ.

Oppo bass management provides a single crossover for all speakers and the sub. I recommend using 80Hz because going lower also acts as a high-pass filter for the sub so the .1 channel bass above that crossover level limited/truncated.

- Rich

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
For UHD streaming, I use the Apple TV 4k and LG C7 Netflix and Amazon apps and the HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC)). The C7 and ATV4K are fast and work very well. Netflix supports UHD and Dolby Vision on both streamers. Amazon support HDR-10 on both.

For Audio, I cannot use the XMC-1 ARC working on my unit but Emotiva will fix it free of charge but I am waiting for their HDMI 2.0b V3 board before sending it in. While it is being upgraded, I will use the UDP-205 as a preamp. I have tested it directly to my amps and it sounds fantastic. The analog outs are a great option if you don't want or need PEQ and REQ.

Oppo bass management provides a single crossover for all speakers and the sub. I recommend using 80Hz because going lower also acts as a high-pass filter for the sub so the .1 channel bass above that crossover level limited/truncated.

- Rich
All good points Rich. Also the UDP LPF is only 12 dB/Oct so you don't really want to go much higher than 80Hz otherwise the bass will be more easily localized. You can bypass the bass management all together and just use the LPF of your subwoofer, assuming it has one, and your other speakers can handle a fullrange signal.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Wait a minute, you have pair of $50k speakers and you have to negotiate the purchase of an OLED TV. What happened since the purchase of those speakers?

I just purchased this player to replace the BDP93 and can't wait to get an OLED TV to get the full pleasures from it.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
...You can bypass the bass management all together and just use the LPF of your subwoofer, assuming it has one, and your other speakers can handle a fullrange signal.
This is what I do.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wait a minute, you have pair of $50k speakers and you have to negotiate the purchase of an OLED TV. What happened since the purchase of those speakers?

I just purchased this player to replace the BDP93 and can't wait to get an OLED TV to get the full pleasures from it.
Priorities. I just bought a BMW M240i ;)

S

sterling shoote

If I have the usb output from my laptop connected to the usb input on the 205 will this permit me to enjoy multi-channel audio files stored in my computer through the 205s multi channel analog output to my Sony TA-P9000es multi-channel pre amp? Also, since it seems to me the most compelling reason for the 205 is its ability to play multi-channel SACDs, what was your impression of Some Kind of Blue in multi-channel, assuming your version of that disc is a hybrid as many are.

Last edited:
J

Jsandman

Enthusiast
Gene, if you (or others reading this) are looking to save some money but upgrade to a 4k display that is compatible with any current HDR format, you could consider any of the 2016 LG OLEDs. In reference to a previous post, I'm not sure what upgrades that the 2018 OLEDs will offer, but the 2017 models were not significant upgrades over their immediate predecessors. In addition to all of the other advantages of a 4k OLED display, the LG 2016 models offer the option of 3D. Yes, I acknowledge that I am a hold-out for this unpopular format, so please refrain from any obligatory negative comments to this post in that regard. I own an LG OLED65C6P. Because of this TV, I discovered a renewed joy in viewing 3D movies because of the upgraded image quality (including color, brightness, resolution, and flicker-free motion,) while viewing 3D with cheap, light-weight passive glasses. (For reference, I previously owned two plasmas: a Panasonic VT20-series and a Samsung 7000-series. On plasmas, the 3D images were not as vibrant, and active glasses are heavy, require maintenance with batteries, and became exhausting after more than an hour of viewing because of the flickering between the lenses.) I encourage anyone to try 3D on a 4k OLED if you get the chance! My wife found it too cumbersome to watch 3D movies on the plasmas, but she now requests the 3D versions of applicable movies on the new OLED. And remember that while the Oppo Players can play 3D discs, if you still don't want to give 3D a shot, you still get a superior 4k+HDR display with a 2016 LG OLED at a lower price than the newer models. And yes, despite my advocating 3D, I happily admit that 4k with HDR is amazing and in most cases 4k provides more of a "wow-factor" than 3D.

B

BigScreen

Audiophyte
First, as a consumer, why would you bother to buy a UHD Blu-ray player if you only plan on using it on an SDR display?

One word: audio.

Many 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray releases come with Dolby Atmos or DTS:X that their SD Blu-ray counterparts lack. This has forced those that have taken the immersive audio plunge but not the 4K plunge to use 4K Ultra HD players and discs to get immersive audio.

You can see this in the following lists:

H

hkpictures

Audiophyte
Does anyone know if the HDMI Input on the back of the 203 is HDMI 2.0a?
Can it accept a 4K/HDR signal?
I got a PS4 PRO and Vizio M50, but the Vizio only has one input that does 4K & HDR; hoping the 203 can be used like a 4K/HDR switcher.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone know if the HDMI Input on the back of the 203 is HDMI 2.0a?
Can it accept a 4K/HDR signal?
I got a PS4 PRO and Vizio M50, but the Vizio only has one input that does 4K & HDR; hoping the 203 can be used like a 4K/HDR switcher.
Did you read the second paragraph of the review?

H

hkpictures

Audiophyte
Did you read the second paragraph of the review?
Yes, I did.
But, it just says HDMI 2.0.

It doesn't say whether it is HDMI 2.0a; or in other words, if it can handle an HDR signal.

RichB

RichB

Yes, I did.
But, it just says HDMI 2.0.

It doesn't say whether it is HDMI 2.0a; or in other words, if it can handle an HDR signal.
The HDMI Input supports HDR 10 but currently does not accept Dolby Vision. DV sources will be displayed in HDR 10. There is no statement from Oppo on future support for DV on the HDMI Input.

- Rich

H

hkpictures

Audiophyte
The HDMI Input supports HDR 10 but currently does not accept Dolby Vision. DV sources will be displayed in HDR 10. There is no statement from Oppo on future support for DV on the HDMI Input.

- Rich
Thanks, Rich.

Hopefully, Oppo update with DV; luckily, all I need is HDR10...for now.

J

Jsandman

Enthusiast
Thanks, Rich.

Hopefully, Oppo update with DV; luckily, all I need is HDR10...for now.
Hi everyone. I thought this would help. See the 6th paragraph in the FAQ:
http://support.oppodigital.com.au/support/solutions/articles/4000094153-udp-203-frequently-asked-questions

I have also personally observed proof that firmware can update/upgrade hardware compatibility:
I have a Marantz SR-7011, which Marantz clearly states has HDMI 2.0a inputs and outputs. Dolby Vision sources passed through the AVR would only display as HDR10 initially, but after Marantz released their latest firmware, DV sources passed through the AVR now display as DV on my TV. :D

Now I just need to save up for the Oppo to really maximize my system.

RichB

RichB

Hi everyone. I thought this would help. See the 6th paragraph in the FAQ:
http://support.oppodigital.com.au/support/solutions/articles/4000094153-udp-203-frequently-asked-questions

I have also personally observed proof that firmware can update/upgrade hardware compatibility:
I have a Marantz SR-7011, which Marantz clearly states has HDMI 2.0a inputs and outputs. Dolby Vision sources passed through the AVR would only display as HDR10 initially, but after Marantz released their latest firmware, DV sources passed through the AVR now display as DV on my TV. :D

Now I just need to save up for the Oppo to really maximize my system.
The FAQ is outdated. A firmware upgrade has been supplied that supports 4K on the HDMI input.

- Rich

J

Jsandman

Enthusiast
The FAQ is outdated. A firmware upgrade has been supplied that supports 4K on the HDMI input.

- Rich
Thanks Rich, but I think the HDMI input and (one) output always supported 4k, right? I was referring to their compatibility with different HDR formats, specifically Dolby Vision. I don't own either of the Oppo UDP Players, but between that Oppo FAQ and my experience with Marantz, I was just trying to show that the Oppo UDP Players' HDMI inputs and outputs should now be Dolby Vision / HDMI 2.0b compliant because the firmware has supposedly already been released by Oppo. If you or anyone else can absolutely confirm that that is the case, I and likely others would appreciate it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis