Oppo to wind down and cease manufacturing

K

Kenco278

Enthusiast
I thought this was someone's idea of an April fool's joke. Not happy at all.

Does anyone have experience with Arcam audio in Britain, and especially with the Arcam UDP-411 blu-ray player, which is a lot more expensive but appears at first glance to have a similar feature list?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
But, no Sony universal players out there today output multi-channel SACD via analog. This means OPPOs are the last chance for someone who does not have an amp with HDMI input to enjoy multi-channel SACD. In other words, at this point, to enjoy multi-channel SACD will require an amp with HDMI input. I'm glad I bought my OPPO UDP-205 back in February. BTW all, it's not for sale, don't ask.
This is true but Emotiva (hopefully) soon to be release XMC follow-on and RMC are have USB DAC inputs that are said to support multi-channel DSD and PCM. That's not a bad place for it. Emotiva is putting together a feature set in processors that is very impressive. Of course, they have to deliver.

For many years, I advocated enhancing the basice feature set to include a volume knob, more hdmi inputs, and better bass control. I have used and friend use the Oppo's without a processor and with a dedicated amp the performance is fantastic.

- Rich

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Didnt see this one coming.. Almost makes me want to buy Oppo 4k player now even though I have no plans to move on 4k anytime soon.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Didnt see this one coming.. Almost makes me want to buy Oppo 4k player now even though I have no plans to move on 4k anytime soon.
I thought the same thing, my only concern would be updates, they have commented that they will continue to support it, but I have little faith in that. I still have my 103 Blu-Ray Player for a little less than 1 year.

What concerns me most is you have a company who has a fantastic reputation, makes a great product in the audio business, yet can't seem to be profitable. We are going to be left with consumer based mediocre equipment or have to spend a hefty premium to buy an overpriced 4k Player.

RichB

RichB

It is a LOT faster than the BDP-10X series. That is another reason I am replacing my 105D now, even though that system is current 2K.

- Rich

S

sterling shoote

This is true but Emotiva (hopefully) soon to be release XMC follow-on and RMC are have USB DAC inputs that are said to support multi-channel DSD and PCM. That's not a bad place for it. Emotiva is putting together a feature set in processors that is very impressive. Of course, they have to deliver.

For many years, I advocated enhancing the basice feature set to include a volume knob, more hdmi inputs, and better bass control. I have used and friend use the Oppo's without a processor and with a dedicated amp the performance is fantastic.

- Rich
If you want to play multi-channel SACDs a usb DAC which supports DSD and/or PCM is still not going to work, since SACD is only output digitally through HDMI, meaning again, if you want to play multi-channel SACDs, you will need HDMI input on AVR, or pre/pro. Of course, you and I have no problem but this could be a big deal for multi-channel SACD folks who have older multi-channel analog output SACD Players which are at the end of their life. They will need to buy a new amp as well as a new universal player with HDMI.

RichB

RichB

If you want to play multi-channel SACDs a usb DAC which supports DSD and/or PCM is still not going to work, since SACD is only output digitally through HDMI, meaning again, if you want to play multi-channel SACDs, you will need HDMI input on AVR, or pre/pro. Of course, you and I have no problem but this could be a big deal for multi-channel SACD folks who have older multi-channel analog output SACD Players which are at the end of their life. They will need to buy a new amp as well as a new universal player with HDMI.
You can stream DSD to a USB DAC that supports it using DOP over PCM (DoP).

- Rich

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Shocking to say the least. I bought my BDP-105 in 2013 based on the reviews here at AH. The cost I thought was astronomical at the time but I took the plunge and have never once regretted it for so many reasons. From the fantastic support, the durability of the product ... I could go on all day. Hopefully whoever buys the company will keep the same high engineering/material standards, though I doubt it.

It's a sad day in Mudville folks when a company like this calls it quits.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a good friend who works there too. I am sure they probably won't disclose publicly what the real issue is. I'll need to pick up a 205 too...

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
This is a huge blow to physical disc media, no matter how you look at it. Those of us who play SACD and DVD Audio in particular. Enthusiasts are the ones who are largely buying disc media at this point in time. The only good part of this for me personally is that none of the Oppo players ive owned have ever given me an issue of any kind.

RichB

RichB

I still have an Oppo 970HD and it works perfectly :p

- Rich
Oppo970HD.jpg

RichB

RichB

I guess I'll still be in the beta group until the firmware stops flowing.

I think I got the invite to join the beta team when folks were posting that SACD did work when the player was set to 970 was set to 480p. I suggested that since Oppo knew it was an SACD why not up the resultion automatically ;).

It was a lot of fun.

- Rich

S

sterling shoote

You can stream DSD to a USB DAC that supports it using DOP over PCM (DoP).

- Rich
Does not solve the problem. I do not want to stream, I do not want downloads; and, multi-channel DSD streamed over DLNA is not gapless. The point is I enjoy the physical multi-channel SACD medium. It's mine, I own it. No crashes. No backups. No ripping. Nothing but easy to enjoy pleasure. And, when these players are gone it means multi-channel SACD enjoyment will require HDMI pre/pro, period.

RichB

RichB

Does not solve the problem. I do not want to stream, I do not want downloads; and, multi-channel DSD streamed over DLNA is not gapless. The point is I enjoy the physical multi-channel SACD medium. It's mine, I own it. No crashes. No backups. No ripping. Nothing but easy to enjoy pleasure. And, when these players are gone it means multi-channel SACD enjoyment will require HDMI pre/pro, period.
There is still time to order a spare 205.

- Rich

B

bogrod

Junior Audioholic
I still have an Oppo 970HD and it works perfectly :p

- RichView attachment 23870
Excellent. :) I still have my 93 and 103D, and I gave my 80 to my pops. All three still working fine.

One of the things I was considering following my first post is wondering if Oppo simply saturated its own market (meaning an enthusiast-based disc media player) from the sheer number of players that it had sold and were still working, coupled with those who weren't eager to run out to upgrade to 4K. I remember the reception to the 203 and 205 was...kind of cool.

I also think that no other Oppo product had anywhere near the same impact on the audio-video market than the 83. It loaded discs faster than other BD players of its time, it had that wonderful Anchor Bay chip for upscaling dvd's, and it of course played a lot of formats. By the time the 203 and 5 came out, I think even a good chunk of enthusiasts weren't doing backflips over it, particularly with the loss of the streaming apps. Plus, the other electronic companies had caught up with disc and player performance by that point.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I have an 83 a 93 and I just ordered a 203. I guess I'll be set for a while, although I am debating over buying an extra 203 just in case.

The reason I love to sell Oppo for dedicated theaters is because it's the only player I know of that can shift subtitles into the picture frame. This is a huge deal when you are using an anamorphic lens.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I just pulled the trigger on a 203. I had the 980, the BDP-80, and currently the 103. They were all bullet-proof and also sold well on eBay. I'll be selling the 103 too. I don't have a 4K display so I've been holding off on this purchase, but I do want to get it before it's gone. An easy decision.

I suspect UHD Blu-ray will turn out to be the pinnacle of physical media, so this may be the last disc player I'll ever own. Someday, you won't be able to acquire new content on physical media at all, and the player will only be useful for legacy playback, like VCRs are now. At some point this player will die, and it may not even be worth replacing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis