Oppo to wind down and cease manufacturing

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
major bummer IMO, as an owner of their '205' player I know first hand how good a player it is, perhaps I'll buy another.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well after a short consideration I finally ordered a 203 just now...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't appear to be, maybe that's why they made the announcement today....

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Wow. Kind of a surprise. What with 8K around the corner and all.:confused:

Bought my 203 6 or so months ago and it has been great. They've always been what I considered a no-brainer buy. Not sure what other products have held that kind of standing.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is there just no room for quality in the market place anymore?

Even in this age of streaming, there is still a need for a gold standard disc players.

May be with the giganet spreading we will be able to have high quality loss less downloads to put on our HTPCs.

This is very bad news.

It will encourage me to be harder on these what piece of junk can I buy for $X00.

Even in the post war years when times were hard, quality was highly valued.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well, that explains the sudden cancellation of various products. I'm guessing a fire sale (of sorts) is coming next.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Well, that explains the sudden cancellation of various products. I'm guessing a fire sale (of sorts) is coming next.

Yeah... I'm not gonna wait around to miss out on a 205, there is nothing else like it!

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I doubt that, the last shipment will come soon and they will sell them out.
Then, there will be ongoing support and firmware updates.

I have many friends there. A shame, they are a class act and remain so even when ending.

- Rich

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Wow. Kind of a surprise. What with 8K around the corner and all.:confused:

Bought my 203 6 or so months ago and it has been great. They've always been what I considered a no-brainer buy. Not sure what other products have held that kind of standing.
I believe OPPO had been manufacturing 8K players as their products are used in most if not all Cineplex theaters across all North America. I am sure they are 8K devices for the sharpness of the big screens, but I may mistaken.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@RichB on the group where I found this (Audiophiles on a Budget on FB), one guy posited that it was due some sort of Chinese tax....any chance of getting a scoop on the core reasons from your friends?

C

Carlos rodriguez

Junior Audioholic
With Oppo's announcement, taking future support into consideration, would you be motivated or turned off to buying one?? Are there any alternatives???

RichB

RichB

@RichB on the group where I found this (Audiophiles on a Budget on FB), one guy posited that it was due some sort of Chinese tax....any chance of getting a scoop on the core reasons from your friends?
UHD disk and format is selling well but and the players do as well but the costs of maintaining the staff required could not be maintained. Oppo tried other businesses but never acheived the sales required to sustain them.

They will be releasing the DV Lite (Sony version) update in a month or so as promised.

Last night, I bought a UDP-205 for my game room and a UDP-203 for a vacation home since we will be going 4K in both locations. MakeMKV supports UHD so I can attach a hard drive and take them with me on vacation.

I'll be selling off some gear soon. The HA-1 that I have not used in a while and BDP-105D since I want 4K. I am keeping the Sonica DAC.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

With Oppo's announcement, taking future support into consideration, would you be motivated or turned off to buying one?? Are there any alternatives???
I just bough a UPD-203 and UPD-205. Oppo has stated that it will keep providing firmware fixes as needed and will maintain hardware support for a couple of years to cover the warranties.

Even when exiting, they are a class outfit.

In terms or replacement, there is a new Panasonic UHD player the flag-ship (I can't recall the name) has high-quality analog outs and DV (Dolby Vision) support. However, they do not supper SACD and DVD-Audio (If that matters to you). Sony uses a similar SOC to Oppo and supports SACD.

IMO, DV is worth it today.

- Rich

S

sterling shoote

I just bough a UPD-203 and UPD-205. Oppo has stated that it will keep providing firmware fixes as needed and will maintain hardware support for a couple of years to cover the warranties.

Even when exiting, they are a class outfit.

In terms or replacement, there is a new Panasonic UHD player the flag-ship (I can't recall the name) has high-quality analog outs and DV (Dolby Vision) support. However, they do not supper SACD and DVD-Audio (If that matters to you). Sony uses a similar SOC to Oppo and supports SACD.

IMO, DV is worth it today.

- Rich
But, no Sony universal players out there today output multi-channel SACD via analog. This means OPPOs are the last chance for someone who does not have an amp with HDMI input to enjoy multi-channel SACD. In other words, at this point, to enjoy multi-channel SACD will require an amp with HDMI input. I'm glad I bought my OPPO UDP-205 back in February. BTW all, it's not for sale, don't ask.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis