Oppo or PS3 For DVD Playback

K

kage

Enthusiast
I have a 37 inch 768p lcd tv and I have a 2 week old PS3 which I use it for blu-ray movies and playing PS3 games. I really can't stand the fan noise when I watch dvds with it. There is no fan noise when watching blu-ray movies. I would like you to recommend if I should go with the Oppo DV-983h or Oppo DV-980h. Right now, I'm leaning towards the DV-983H due to the better video processor.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
oppo 983, get rid of PS3 and get a real blu-ray player like the Pioneer 51 or Sony 350/550.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
oppo 983, get rid of PS3 and get a real blu-ray player like the Pioneer 51 or Sony 350/550.
Lol one can't help but laugh at comments like these. What makes the Pioneer or Sony a real BD player unlike the PS3?

K

kage

Enthusiast
I decided that I will get the DV-983H, so I ordered it today from amazon.com. In the next two months, I will be getting a bigger screen tv at least a 46 inches. As I am happy with the bluray performance with my PS3, but not impressed with its dvd performance, I'll be happy with the 983H dvd performance. I also read that the 983H has now the ABT2010 instead of the ABT102-ABT1018 combo. The ABT2010 is the core of the DVDO Edge video processor.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I can't really imagine the oppo being that much better than the PS3 for upscaling standard def dvds. I use mine to watch dvds on my 73" and another PS3 for my 46" tv, and regular dvd's look amazing on it. But it's your money, spend it as you see fit.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My 980 and my PS3 look pretty much the same. The PS3 is a little more crisp with color, but that's about it. I agree with supervij, you aren't going to see enough of a difference on that display to warrant the 983. I asked Oppo myself and that was their answer.

J

jamie2112

Banned
You have got to be kidding, the PS3 is a great Blueray player. Have you looked at comparisons with other BD units. The specs are great for the PS3...I don't get answers like this from the uninformed ........

K

kage

Enthusiast
I received the Oppo DV-983H yesterday afternoon and its better than my PS3's dvd performance. When I compared the dvd playback on the PS3 with the DV-983H, the DV-983H excels the PS3 in dvd performance. The DV-983H has better scaling, better deinterlacing, better color, sharper image, and better image detail presentation. Yes, I can notice a difference in picture quality on my 37 inch 768p LCD tv.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Fan noise with SD but not with BD doesnt make sense. Something smells fishy....

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
. Yes, I can notice a difference in picture quality on my 37 inch 768p LCD tv.
Did you try doing that without knowing which one was playing the disc? (a Blind, or better yet, double-blind test). You might find some interesting results...:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Did you try doing that without knowing which one was playing the disc? (a Blind, or better yet, double-blind test). You might find some interesting results...:D
Especially when Oppo themselves acknowledge the fact that the difference is minimal even between their own players on smaller sets. Your TV converts EVERYTHING to 768, so I don't see how a different player would even make that much of a difference.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Quiet You!
That sorry little 350 can't even convert multichannel PCM to DTS for legacy receivers. It also has less than stellar upconversion based on all the reports I've read.

I'm not a PS3 fan, but I can understand the wisdom in purchasing one.

On a 46" display, even the Panasonic Blu-ray players probably have acceptable upconversion. I'm not being a size snob. I just know smaller displays don't benefit as much from the differences in upconversion between players.

To the OP, if you're not going to use Blu-Ray, SACD or DVD-Audio playback, consider one of the Toshiba Anchor Bay units--the A20, A30, A35 for killer 1080i (1080p60 is broken on those units) scaling. As long as your display can de-interlace worth anything, you can probably save a grip with one of those.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm....PS3 cant send out bitstream of high resolution audioformats for decoding by external processors/receivers.. forget about te dam fan noise and the amount of power it requires and george forman grill looks it has :p

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My A2 is louder than my PS3 in terms of fan noise, only the PS3 is faster on pretty much every count and has better PQ. Your S500 likely uses much of the same internals as the PS3 except without the cell processor which is what ultimately makes it run circles around any other player in the price range. I personally like the rounded look of the unit.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm....PS3 cant send out bitstream of high resolution audioformats for decoding by external processors/receivers..
Who cares? It can decode everything itself and will be upgradeable until the end of it's lifetime.

Are we going to start one of those receivers are better at decoding than players discussions now?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Who cares? It can decode everything itself and will be upgradeable until the end of it's lifetime.

Are we going to start one of those receivers are better at decoding than players discussions now?
No, he would argue that the Denon AVP-"whatever number processor" can process the HD audio tracks better than the PS3 (bullsnookey). I have a fluke PS3 that wonked twice, and I still stand behind it for the price. My PS3 doesn't represent the general populace of PS3s.

tn001d knows how to push a button

K

kage

Enthusiast
I returned the Oppo DV-983H this morning and I got the Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray player at Best Buy with my 10% off coupon. So far its a decent blu-ray player with excellent HD pq and excellent dvd upconversion with its HQV processor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis