Oppo DV-980H Questions

K

kage

Enthusiast
This morning I returned the Sony DVP-NS77H dvd player back to Best Buy and yesterday, I ordered the Oppo DV-980H from amazon.com and I am planning to use it as a dvd player and audio player. I currently have the Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player, and a Sharp Aquos 37" 768p LCD TV (I will be buying a 1080P LCD in a few months). I have some questions on the Oppo DV-980H.
1. I am not sure how good the 980H's audio dacs are compared to my RX-V1800 audio dacs. Is it better to use the analog output (2 channel or 7.1 channel) for cd playback, or use HDMI? I am planning to use HDMI for SACD and DVD-A playback.
2. How fast is the layer change?
3. Are the any known problems on the 980h?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
1. The DAC should be comparable. If it isn't then you can use the DAC in the receiver, if you prefer.

2. I don't know what a layer change is.

3. None that I know of.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
1) The DACs are surprisingly good, but not exactly comparable to a high end player. SACD and DVD-A playback are close but not quite as good as my 2900. They are at least comparable to the Yamaha if not better - which has better bass management may be a factor in how you connect it.

2) What layer change? :)

3) None here either; I have not had any issues with it, though it is currently back in it's box.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis