Oppo BDP105 audio question

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Is the only difference between the Oppo BDP105 and 105D video? I was reading somewhere that the D version does something different with DSD audio etc... Thanks.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Is the only difference between the Oppo BDP105 and 105D video? I was reading somewhere that the D version does something different with DSD audio etc... Thanks.
If you look under the "features/specs" section, you'll note this addition:
USB Asynchronous DAC – By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the BDP-105D turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by converting digital audio to analog through the ESS Sabre[SUP]32[/SUP] Reference DAC. The BDP-105D supports DSD audio in standard rate (DSD64) or double rate (DSD128 or DSD 2x) via its new USB DAC input.
The bolded section at the end is new/different for the D version of the BDP-105. It also shows up under the specs:
Input: USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM, 2ch DSD 2.8224MHz/5.6448MHz
vs
Input: USB Audio: up to 2ch/192kHz PCM.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. So I would presume that it's a feature worth having for audio.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Thanks. So I would presume that it's a feature worth having for audio.
If you've got a collection of DSD files to play, or plan to accumulate such a collection, then it's definitely a worthwhile feature.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you've got a collection of DSD files to play, or plan to accumulate such a collection, then it's definitely a worthwhile feature.
The 105 already outputs DSD when playing SACD so I am quite sure it is a matter of time before they add this feature to the Asyn USB via a future firmware update. They charge more money for the D so naturally they gave it higher priority.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Let me ask this.. If I am just going to play back SACD and CD would the 105 be any better than the 103.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me ask this.. If I am just going to play back SACD and CD would the 105 be any better than the 103.
If you bitstream, probably not. If you use the analog outs then yes based on specs but I guess you know that already.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I'm talking about just standard CD/SACD playback from disc right now. I really thought about what I do and features I may really never use and it makes since for me to get a 103... Now I know the 105 is future proof if I ever did decide to start using my Mac for playback and use for downloaded music. Here is the thing. The music that I listen to is no where to be found on Hi resolution/DSD downloads. I listen to progressive rock and I have to order CD's.

My one must is having the best playback quality I can afford.

W

whirlaway

Audiophyte
I've owned both and decided to keep the 103. You can always add an outboard DAC if and when you decide to play your downloaded music or desire something extra out of your system. While the analog section of the 103 is not at the same level as the 105, it may surprise you. Oppo has an in-home trial period. Purchase both, try them in your system, and keep the winner.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm talking about just standard CD/SACD playback from disc right now. I really thought about what I do and features I may really never use and it makes since for me to get a 103... Now I know the 105 is future proof if I ever did decide to start using my Mac for playback and use for downloaded music. Here is the thing. The music that I listen to is no where to be found on Hi resolution/DSD downloads. I listen to progressive rock and I have to order CD's.

My one must is having the best playback quality I can afford.
I thought you were interested in asyn USB DSD. For CDs the 103 should be just as good. For SACD the 105 will be still superior in theory base on specs but in practice you will have to find out for yourself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought you already have a Marantz, Cambridge Audio and now thinking about Oppo. To me, once you get to the kind of players you have already owned or tried, they all sound great and any difference will disappear when your don't rely on your sight. However, since you can hear those theoretical differences and found one sounded better than the other, then why not go and listen to one of these:

AUDIO PLAYERS | Esoteric

I have, and the system sounded great to the point it may be the reason why I bought the speakers on the spot. On the other hand, it really sounded just as good as players I already owned at the time. For me, if I needed just a CD player I would just grab an ES (Sony) such as the XA5400. They surely know how to make SACD sounds good, theoretically..

E

egreen1976

Junior Audioholic
I've owned the 103, 105 and 105D. The 105 and 105D are significantly better 2 channel audio playback devices using the analog outputs. Call Oppo and purchase a refurbished 105 for the ultimate bang for your buck, I believe they come with a full warranty,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis