Oppo BDP-83 What price do you want to pay?

J

JLMEMT

Junior Audioholic
It would have to be $400 for me to be seriously interested. SACD would be something I would try if I had it, but not something I am looking for.

I want Netflix streaming, so I wouldn't pay $500 and give up that.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
It seems as if so far the majority want to pay $399 or less.
Majority of some 14 posters? :rolleyes:

If you seriously wanted less side discussion and more objectivity, along with more participants which would add more significance this would be a real poll. This will go nowhere in establishing the actual price it will sell for..but has been amusing, I admit! :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I'll be happy to sell you one for One Million Dollars! I accept cash, check, or PayPal. :D
But you don't have one to sell ... do you :p

Due to the overwhelming response here, I think OPPO has no choice but to lower the price. My guess is that OPPO will announce the new reduced MSLP on April 1st;):p.

Good work OP and if you guys aren't too busy, maybe you can get my ex-wife to take less alimony.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I'd pay 400 for it..

The trouble with the off brand stuff is it can be a hassle getting remote codes for it and rack companies don't have the faceplate dimensions (not a big deal, but, still a deal... and this doesn't look like it has ear-mounts). But I paid a grand for a Denon and it loads so slow I use the Playstation.

M

mnnc

Full Audioholic
I believe in quantity vs price. Sell them at $399 like hotcakes. The EAP price is tops for me and should include shpng.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I believe in quantity vs price. Sell them at $399 like hotcakes. The EAP price is tops for me and should include shpng.
Amusing thread.

You get a great reputation. Good looks. Excellent VP chipset in the Anchor Bay. SACD. DVDA. All in one chassis.

Ya know, you can get two players instead, and save. Brand new BDP is what, $240, and a brand new Oppo 980 is what, $170, for the grand total of $410? Now you have double the drives to wear out. Oh wait! You can't handle the huge size of the 980 with its 2" height??

The bdp83 will be a very desirable player, and will sell plenty at $500. If you can't swallow that price tag, just look elsewhere. But, good luck, because there won't be anything else quite like it, at least for a long time, at anywhere close to that price point.

C'mon, sheesh. :rolleyes:

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Amusing thread.

You get a great reputation. Good looks. Excellent VP chipset in the Anchor Bay. SACD. DVDA. All in one chassis.

The bdp83 will be a very desirable player, and will sell plenty at $500. If you can't swallow that price tag, just look elsewhere. But, good luck, because there won't be anything else quite like it, at least for a long time, at anywhere close to that price point.

C'mon, sheesh. :rolleyes:
I could not have said it better. If you can not see the advantages over more "popular brands", then fine, save your money.

Remote codes??? Logitech already has codes for the 083 and the player is not even released yet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, when they get DVD-A on board, I'd say $599 is a fair price.

Name me one other true universal player that can play blu-ray, DVD-Video, DVD-A, CD, and DSD SACD for under $3,800?:D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Well, when they get DVD-A on board, I'd say $599 is a fair price.

Name me one other true universal player that can play blu-ray, DVD-Video, DVD-A, CD, and DSD SACD for under $3,800?:D
Then you'll be happy to hear that DVD-A is working as of the most recent firmware upgrade.:cool:

This player has performed flawlessly for me and at $499 (EAP and I believe MSLP) is very well priced.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Then you'll be happy to hear that DVD-A is working as of the most recent firmware upgrade.:cool:

This player has performed flawlessly for me and at $499 (EAP and I believe MSLP) is very well priced.
If I had not bought the Denon DVD-3800BDCI, I would be buying this Oppo player without question in a heart beat.

Oppo has my respect big time.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
There's a difference between what people want to pay and what something will actually cost though.

Again, if the Oppo attributes are not enough to tweak anyone, they could certainly save by buying Sony, Panasonic, etc. and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
There's a difference between what people want to pay and what something will actually cost though.
Yes, supply and demand dictates pricing. Just as it did a couple of months ago when I bought my TV for half of MSRP. I believe that with a faultering economy, demand can also faulter thus creating a discount of $399 similar to the TV's and my receiver that I bought for half of MSRP as well.

People here love audio/visual but we are in the minority who are willing to pay for it. OPPO can not afford to manufacture just for us and need more exposure, they need to sell alot more!

How many friends do you have that are willing to drop $499 on a Blu Ray in the next six months? This is how they work through word of moth advertising.:)

L

lexvid

Enthusiast
How many friends do you have that are willing to drop $499 on a Blu Ray in the next six months? This is how they work through word of moth advertising.:)
If the OPPO is more than $499, I may have to pass and pick up the Pio 51FD since I have seen it on sale for $399. $100 may not seem like alot but, like most, I have limited resources. The question is - is the Pio equivalent to the new Oppo at that price or is it wishful thinking just to save a few bucks?

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
People here love audio/visual but we are in the minority who are willing to pay for it. OPPO can not afford to manufacture just for us and need more exposure, they need to sell alot more!
When it costs $3million to retool a line for bluray they need to sell more than just a few thousand units. So OPPO if you are listening if you drop the price to $399 you have my cash and probably 50% more sales!

"CBHD discs and players are cheap to make according to OMNERIC, which claims that retooling a DVD production line to CBHD only costs $800,000 compared to the approximately $3 million that it costs to retool to Blu-ray production, and licensing fees to CHDA are lower, further reducing costs." http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/warner-hd-format-war-china

P

Padge1

Enthusiast
$399 - No Brainer
$499 - Still a great value, but may wait a few months to purchase.
$599 - Will probably stick to having two separate pieces

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
When it costs $3million to retool a line for bluray they need to sell more than just a few thousand units. So OPPO if you are listening if you drop the price to $399 you have my cash and probably 50% more sales!

"CBHD discs and players are cheap to make according to OMNERIC, which claims that retooling a DVD production line to CBHD only costs $800,000 compared to the approximately $3 million that it costs to retool to Blu-ray production, and licensing fees to CHDA are lower, further reducing costs." http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/warner-hd-format-war-china
Why don't you campaign against Sony, Panasonic, etc too? After all, they are pushing $399 players that are not as capable as the Oppo (which you believe should also be $399)? :confused:

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Why don't you campaign against Sony, Panasonic, etc too? After all, they are pushing $399 players that are not as capable as the Oppo (which you believe should also be $399)? :confused:
The reason those manufactures are $399 is because the demand for them is stronger than their competitors because they are better quality than their competitors. I do not set the price the consumer does. I am not "campaining" against OPPO, BTW do you work for them?;) I firmly believe that the price should be $399 and this post is proving that that is correct by the people's answers not just mine:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis