Oppo BDP-105 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray Player

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dude, you need to get a life, or, for now, perhaps a less aggressive perspective. Your intensity on this entertainment forum is misplaced. It's funny, but still it's misplaced.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't know what the OPPO sounds like. I've been thinking about one nevertheless since it will play multi channel SACD's through analog output. I'm not aware of any other SACD player out there in the price vicinity of the OPPO that will play multi channel from analog outs. Sony's highly reviewed 5400ES only has an HDMI output for multi channel audio and this will not work for me since I do not have any HDMI inputs on my pre/pro. If I bought the Sony 5400 it appears I would need to buy a new pre/pro. At any rate, just for it's SACD feature the OPPO is compelling. I do not believe overall that audio equipment today can be distinguished by what they sound like, unless the equipment is broken.

D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with a place called upgrade company
they charge a lot to modify Oppo and like all places, they say they are the greatest

does anyone have experience with them?

https://www.upgradecompany.com/

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to post Modwright too, but not sure everyone is interested in tube mods :)

D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
has anyone connected a 3TB or 4TB external drive to the Oppo 103 ?

D

dpattillo

Junior Audioholic
If I connect the BP-105's balanced stereo outputs directly to a stereo amp that powers my floorstanders, could I then connect the subwoofer RCA output on the BP-105 to my powered subwoofer then use the subwoofer crossover to manage the bass frequencies the floorstanders are not capable of producing?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If I connect the BP-105's balanced stereo outputs directly to a stereo amp that powers my floorstanders, could I then connect the subwoofer RCA output on the BP-105 to my powered subwoofer then use the subwoofer crossover to manage the bass frequencies the floorstanders are not capable of producing?
Not sure if they improved the bass management on the 105, but on my 83SE, there was only one x-over frequency fixed at 80Hz. Otherwise you just run it full range and adjust the sub manually. So theoretically, I'd say you should be able to do this.

D

dpattillo

Junior Audioholic
Oppo BDP-105 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray Player

I'd think the output level would affect the quality if the outputs are line level instead of preamp level.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I personally would not do it, but supposedly the 105 is able to be used this way according to the review and discussions in this thread. That's something I'd probably ask Oppo directly.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
I have a goofy question.. I'm currently using the Oppo 83 player hooked up to my Yamaha integrated amp through the multi channel analog connections for bluray and also the analog connections for stereo.. So could I hook up the 83 to the 105 in order to take advantage of the DAC?.. This way I could continue to use the 83 for background music and only use the 105 for my serious, sitting down listening sessions.. Of course the 105 will be used for movies as well..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a goofy question.. I'm currently using the Oppo 83 player hooked up to my Yamaha integrated amp through the multi channel analog connections for bluray and also the analog connections for stereo.. So could I hook up the 83 to the 105 in order to take advantage of the DAC?.. This way I could continue to use the 83 for background music and only use the 105 for my serious, sitting down listening sessions.. Of course the 105 will be used for movies as well..
Technically, yes.

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
It almost sounded like you had a "but" coming after your answer because you have more on your mind.. Ha!.. I'm considering an upgrade and was thinking about getting a Parasound Halo A23 amp for possibly better stereo sound.. Only using the amps in the Yamaha DSP-A1 for power.. I've never tried an external amp so I'm curious.. Then I thought about upgrading my Oppo as another option.. Could be more bang for my buck going that way.. Any thoughts Mr. Garcia?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you have a base 83, then yes, the 105 will definitely be a step up. In terms of amps, sound isn't really going to change much unless your A1 is having problems delivering the levels you are after. I presume you mean hook up the 83 via HDMI to the 105 right?

C

cvcgolf

Audioholic
I plan on using the 83 for music only and figured the optical or toslink connection could be used to the 105.. But if HDMI is the better way to go for audio in order to use the DAC in the 105 then I'll do it..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It has an HDMI input for this and I would presume that would be the best way to hook these two together, but for audio only coaxial/optical might be fine.

S

Slowburner

Audiophyte
Purely from an audiophile/music perspective, and knowing almost nothing about video equipment, it was unclear to me if I can get all the same audio performance as the BDP-105 in the cheaper BDP-103. Please help? And, yes, very nice review, quite thorough. Noob here.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Purely from an audiophile/music perspective, and knowing almost nothing about video equipment, it was unclear to me if I can get all the same audio performance as the BDP-105 in the cheaper BDP-103. Please help? And, yes, very nice review, quite thorough. Noob here.
No, that would be the primary difference between them: improved audio on the 105. Though I would then ask what it is you intend to do with the player. For mostly movies, the 103 is likely fine. For mostly music including SACD/DVD-A, etc..., I'd opt for the 105.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis