Oppo BDP-105 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray Player

B

Birdboy

Audiophyte
DVD-A disc of the King Crimson Discipline

Gene

OT, (well , maybe not because I have the 105) but what a nice surprise to see the cover art on your display of this fantastically remastered DVD-A. I especially enjoyed remixes of "Thela Hun Ginjeet sans Adrian Belew. The Oppo perfectly captured Robert Fripp's frantic 7/8 frantic strumming within the 4/4 measure. Dedicating Bruford's tribal polyrhythmic syncopation's to a single channel was a real treat.

B

Birdboy

Audiophyte
DVD-A- King Crimson Discipline on BDP-105

Gene

What a nice surprise to see the cover art on your display of this fantastically remastered DVD-A. I especially enjoyed remixes of "Thela Hun Ginjeet sans Adrian Belew. The Oppo perfectly captured Robert Fripp's unusual 7/8 strumming within the 4/4 measure. Dedicating Bruford's tribal polyrhythmic syncopation's to a single channel was a real treat. I may have missed it in your review but sis you listen to this through analog?

M

MikePS

Audiophyte
It is a review not a shootout :rolleyes:

YES there are a LOT of people who still buy physical media still too. Last time I looked vinyl was still alive and well and if that is any indicator, the CD/DVD/BD (yes they are somewhat different crowds than vinyl) won't be going away anytime soon either. Yes, it will happen; eventually.
Sure, I agree (you're talking to a vinyl guy sporting a ClearAudio deck), but computer audio has reached critical mass (aka the tipping point), hence a major reason Oppo added the USB DAC. Other than a few upgrades and bells and whistles (better power supply, no fan, Netflix, Vudu, Rhapsody, etc.), one can remain perfectly happy not upgrading from their 95 (unless $$ isn't an issue to you). And if you're new to the game, no doubt the 105 suits the masses wanting really good quality audio and the versatility of a good quality DAC.

The big question that I and many others have is whether we should get the 103 (or keep our current transports) and add (upgrade) an outboard DAC in order to obtain our own personal audio nirvana, or can we get that by spending the extra $700 for the 105 to have an all-in-one unit? There's a great case for the convenience of the latter, especially if the 105's DAC rivaled others similar in price ($700) and it's pretty much a slam dunk if its DAC rivaled others double that additional cost (doesn't have to be better, just on par or maybe even "close enough"). What if it doesn't quite measure up? Hmmm, then maybe some of us will choose the 103+DAC route :rolleyes:

I much prefer sitting down, turning on my rig, scrolling/searching through my 1400 discs via a beautiful and easy interface on my iPad, and pressing Play. So much easier than digging through my books of CD's, especially when I suddenly realize "naw, I guess I'm not in a jazz mood, I think Green Day will do the trick".

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, I agree (you're talking to a vinyl guy sporting a ClearAudio deck), but computer audio has reached critical mass (aka the tipping point), hence a major reason Oppo added the USB DAC. Other than a few upgrades and bells and whistles (better power supply, no fan, Netflix, Vudu, Rhapsody, etc.), one can remain perfectly happy not upgrading from their 95 (unless $$ isn't an issue to you). And if you're new to the game, no doubt the 105 suits the masses wanting really good quality audio and the versatility of a good quality DAC.

The big question that I and many others have is whether we should get the 103 (or keep our current transports) and add (upgrade) an outboard DAC in order to obtain our own personal audio nirvana, or can we get that by spending the extra $700 for the 105 to have an all-in-one unit? There's a great case for the convenience of the latter, especially if the 105's DAC rivaled others similar in price ($700) and it's pretty much a slam dunk if its DAC rivaled others double that additional cost (doesn't have to be better, just on par or maybe even "close enough").

I much prefer sitting down, turning on my rig, scrolling/searching through my 1400 discs via a beautiful and easy interface on my iPad, and pressing Play. So much easier than digging through my books of CD's, especially when I suddenly realize "naw, I guess I'm not in a jazz mood, I think Green Day will do the trick".
I completely agree that we are at that tipping point, however I'd say you are not the norm yet AND people who are doing high quality digital via a good DAC are still more like another SACD/DVD-A/Vinyl "niche". While the masses have seen the capability and benefits of having the ease of access, many of them are still stuck at average quality MP3 and ear buds or just a portable directly connected to their system via headphone jack to RCA adapter. I am going to say the greater majority of those who are fully or even partly digital are NOT audiophiles nor are they the people who are going to be interested in a player at this level.

I get what you are asking and why though, but I think we will still be waiting for someone else to be putting this thing up against quality DACs. Based on Gene's review however, I'd expect it will more than hold its own.

M

MikePS

Audiophyte
I'm fascinated with computer audio but with a recent computer crash and trying to learn to navigate Windows 8 on my replacement computer, not to mention the frustration of getting my back up files on to the new computer, I am taking a new look at physical media. I think concepts like the OPPO make a lot of sense. The bottom line there's just too much need for pointing and clicking for me to be comfortable with computer audio/video
There are simple and easy solutions to computer audio that don't involve the ever-crashing Windows, but it really is best if you use a dedicated machine (which costs a little bit of $$). First, a Sonos Connect connected to a NAS containing all of your digital music sure makes it easy and provides an amazing interface for your iPhone, iPad, Droid or it's own controller. For better sound quality, you can look at the numerous digital players that have popped up over the last few years or get a Mac Mini to use exclusively as a computer audio player (strip down the OS, maybe replace the HDD with an SSD) and connect it to your NAS (via your router) or to an outboard HDD. Add Audirvana, Pure Music or Amarra player software to ensure the highest sound quality and you're essentially done. No crashing and no moving files around (after your initial installation) other than for backup. It's well worth your initial effort.

And the more I think about it, Sonos with a NAS attached to your network really is super easy and super convenient with a super interface.

Last edited:
M

MikePS

Audiophyte
I completely agree that we are at that tipping point, however I'd say you are not the norm yet AND people who are doing high quality digital via a good DAC are still more like another SACD/DVD-A/Vinyl "niche". While the masses have seen the capability and benefits of having the ease of access, many of them are still stuck at average quality MP3 and ear buds or just a portable directly connected to their system via headphone jack to RCA adapter. I am going to say the greater majority of those who are fully or even partly digital are NOT audiophiles nor are they the people who are going to be interested in a player at this level.

I get what you are asking and why though, but I think we will still be waiting for someone else to be putting this thing up against quality DACs. Based on Gene's review however, I'd expect it will more than hold its own.
Yes, I'm certainly not the norm (as my friends will attest ;-)) and you're right about the masses, but Oppo isn't targeting the masses with the 105 (stating the obvious). Anyone willing to spend $1200 for a player, or willing to fork out $700 more than the very capable 103, is instantly elevated to some kind of audiophile to a certain degree (compared to the masses). And anyone with any interest in the 105's USB DAC is so, by definition, for the sole purpose of implementing computer/file-based audio.

Thus, I think it's a very reasonable request to ask a reviewer to provide even his general thoughts, based on his knowledge and experience alone, on the sound quality of the USB DAC and how it might fair against other DAC's. Sure, a shootout would be fantastic, but I think a simple statement or two is warranted. Is it on par with other sub-$1000 USB DAC's (you pick the brand), as I'm sure it is? What about the plethora of $1000 to $2000 DAC's out there? Is it sub-par, on par, close enough? Even a simple statement that those with lofty goals should start looking to pair a 103 with their flavor of DAC at/above the $xx range. That's all I'm asking.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I appreciate your advise. The big reason I'm interested in the OPPO is it's ability to decode multi channel SACD and send it out via analog. I have a Panasonic BD-80 but it will not play multi channel or even stereo SACD's, just BluRay's. The OPPO plays it all and I can hook it up to my multi channel analog Sony preamp. I've considered the Sony 5400ES multi channel SACD player but with only hdmi outputs for multi channel and me having no hdmi inputs on my preamp I'd only be able to enjoy the stereo layer of my SACD's which I can do now with my Sony VDP S9000ES SACD player. Of course, there's no SACD available from the computer that I know of, the only thing close is HDtracks hi-rez downloads-the kind I am not trying to load onto my new computer from back up files. This is something I don't worry about with physical media. Plus, with a CD layer built into the current hybred SACD's I can download to computer for casual background listening.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Gene, thank you for the review of the 105. It is in part why I have just upgraded my entire HT (except speakers).
I have just ordered the BDP105 online and I take delivery of a Panasonic VT Plasma (65") on Friday.
A couple questions as I have been out of the HT/audiophile game for awhile.
I plan on using the 105 as a 'nerve center': BD and DVD movie playback in 7.2 and CD playback for listening to music, Xbox360 via HDMI
I currently have a Denon 3808CI as a pre/pro feeding an Emotiva MPS1 via analog RCA.
After reading your review it appears I can eliminate the Denon altogether and use the analog outputs on the 105.
For movies can I use the balanced XLR outputs for my fronts in addition to using the analog RCA pre-outs for the surrounds and sub?
Or is it only one or the other?
Also, I enjoy Pure Direct mode on the Denon with just the mains and SW for 2ch music playback. Is there a similar mode for 2ch music playback with the 105? I primarily listen to music via cd in lossless 2ch
Some of this is academic as I plan on upgrading the meat and potatoes of my system very soon with a XMC processor when it becomes available, a XPR2 for my mains, and a XPR5 for my surrounds; I will then use the XLR connections exclusively.
Until then one thing at a time I guess :)
Thanks for any and all insight,
--chaz

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My OPPO-105 hould arrive this week and then I'm going to compare it to my external DACS, just to see as my OPPO 95 & Sony 5400es sound pretty good already.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My OPPO-105 hould arrive this week and then I'm going to compare it to my external DACS, just to see as my OPPO 95 & Sony 5400es sound pretty good already.
I can't wait to hear back from you on this as I can't do a side by side comparison. Now I regret trading my 95 in, should have kept both, at least for a while. On thing I found strange though, I just watched X-men DVD last night, thought the picture was good but not exceptionally good so I am watching it again now on my very old BDP-2550 and to my surprise I really think the 2550 is doing a better job. I didn't get that feeling previously, comparing the 2550 with the 95. I guess I should double check all video settings on the 105, though I can't think of anything that could account for the seemingly poorer upscaling quality.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hang in there, still waiting

PS: I find that when I using my older OPPO 93 that DVD/BR look better than my 95, go figure.

mdanderson

mdanderson

Audioholic Intern
I have had the Oppo 105 since Thursday so I have only had a few days to try it out. In a word, I have been amazed so far with the quality of the sound from the 105. I was a bit nervous about spending that much on a bluray player and unsure of how it would sound compared to my Oppo 93 given my modest ht system, but I am certainly glad I made the move because the sound is certainly a step up for me.

My 7.1 system consists of Paradigm Ref. Studio 20’s(v2) for front and surrounds, Paradigm Studio CC and MiniMonitors for back surrounds. My prepro is the new Emotiva UMC-200 paired with the Emotiva XPA-5 and ATI 1502 amps. My sub is the SVS PB12-plus.

My favorite music format is SACD and DVD Audio. I am using the MC analog outs along with the dedicated 2channel outs hooked up in place of the FL/FR on the MC outs. I like the suggestion to hook it up like this in order to make use of MC and dedicated 2channel outs. With the UMC-200 in direct mode, it is working very well as a preamp.

I can definitely tell a difference in the sound compared to the Oppo 93 and the Sabre dacs of the 105 are impressive to me. The soundstage, detail, and control of everything is excellent and I know things will only get better. All I know is that everything sounds so good to my ears. James Taylor’s Hourglass on SACD has been a favorite so far.

Blurays look great of course and I have tried out the network for listening to sound files from my desktop computer. I am using Jriver Media and it is my favorite media center that I have used. The network feature has been a little buggy at times for me even though I have it wired directly using an ethernet cable. I will be trying out the other features like the USB async dac once I get a laptop. I know I will have more questions later as I get used to everything on the 105. Thanks again for everyone’s input. I am impressed to say the least with the sound of the Oppo 105.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
I just talked to a Sales Moron in Florida who told me the Cambridge and Marantz were better than the Oppo
He sounded like a used car salesman. He says customers have brought in the Oppo to compare the Cambridge that they have on the floor. Then he was telling me the Ayre player at 10K is much better
these Sales Clowns are a total joke. The guy was lecturing about parts in these units and trying to imply that the parts in the Oppo may not be that good but yet the parts in the ones he carries are great

its great to point out these crook sales guys

now we know who NOT to buy from

More of these Idiots need to be put out of business

It is unacceptable for these sales idiots to be that ignorant on products
here is that place

Audio Center

120 N. Federal Highway
Deerfield Beach
Florida
FL33441
Tel: (954) 574-9200
Email: audiocenter@earthlink.net
Web: audiocenter@earthlink.net

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. I would have stopped him and asked him for a different salesperson. If I am not mistaken, Cambridge uses Oppo internals (as do other companies too).

D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
The Same idiot also told me the Cambridge looked better, which seems impossible since they both use the Marvell Chip for Video Processing

it's laughable how little these Sales Idiots who have "been doing this for 25 years" know about these products

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The Same idiot also told me the Cambridge looked better, which seems impossible since they both use the Marvell Chip for Video Processing

it's laughable how little these Sales Idiots who have "been doing this for 25 years" know about these products
Wow, it looks better now that's a sigh that saleman was a 'car salesmen. Maybe the Cambridge " also had that NEW PLAYER SMELL.

D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
These Sales Idiots can NEVER be trusted. How laughable is it that he says the Cambridge looked better? It has the same video processing as the Oppo. It will look the Same
of course if I asked that Idiot if he would be willing to Bet $100 per clip in a blind test and see if he can pick out the "better" Cambridge he would have sissied his way out of accepting

It's Mindboggling how retarded and dishonest these sales guys are

He gave me a lecture on the use of parts; implying that Oppo doesn't use the best parts but of course all his brands like Marantz and Cambridge use the best parts and of course all his brands in general use great parts and all brands he doesn't carry use crappy parts

Audio Advisor carries all 3 players, Oppo, Cambridge and Marants as does Crutchfield and all of them say the Oppo is better sounding

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
It sounds like the salesman beat you up, is that right? Maybe you had it coming, sometimes, punks with attitudes piss salesmen off. If I were the salesman, I'd just say," get the f...k out of here, and don't let your *** hit the swinging door on the way out". Or, maybe, I'd say, " I've got customers who actually want to buy something today and you're keeping me from helping them". Who knows what I'd say, maybe, I'd just say, "thanks for coming in, have a nice day". Of course, under my breath, I'd be saying, " what rock did that douche bag just crawl out from. That's the last time I'll wait on him. Comes in the store just to pick a fight and debate nonsense like this place was a barber shop or something." But, really why bring your dirty laundry here? If you had a beef with the salesman why not just move on and let someone more agreeable assist you. Personally, I'd like to hear the salesman's side. Perhaps, he realized you were a little anal and had no intent of buying anything. I'll call em up and see if anyone there remembers you. It would be good to get their side. You know, to be fair and all.

Last edited:
D

detroit1

Audioholic Intern
Are you also a Salesman? Are you Joking with that comment? No, the Sales Idiot DID NOT beat me up. If fact, he wont' get a penny of my money and I am very very familiar with what is going on in this Industry
Shops are closing all over the place and they need customers 10 times more than customers need them !! make no mistake about that. I don't need him, he needs more people like me who have money to spend !

but since he was a Jackass, he won't get any of my money and he was full of **** about the Marantz and Cambridge; both good players but NOT better than the Oppo

I also wrote I would be bet $100 per clip blind test between the Cambridge and the Oppo and the Sales Moron will NEVER see any difference as they are the same Video player when comes to picture quality

He told me the Cambridge looked better; this is Impossible

find me a sales idiot that wants to take that bet, I will come in with 50 different HD clips and shut his *** up and take his cash; if he even has that much cash; most of these idiots are so desperate for sales they don't have even a couple hundred to spend on putting equipment on the floor because they are so poor.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis