Oppo BDP-105 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray Player

Snydley

Snydley

Audiophyte
This looks like a great unit, but for that price I would expect a penile enhancement vacuum system :)

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm very interested in the 105 for my first nice hifi stereo system. I'm looking at the Parasound Halo integrated amp and probably some Monitor Audio Silver 8s. Because I'm new to a setup such as this I've got a few questions about how the Oppo will function and actually play my music. Currently, most all of my music is stored in iTunes in Apple Lossless format. I have an iMac and my music library is stored on a Western Digital 3TB external. So, will the Oppo play my Apple Lossless files? Can I get another external drive and simply plug it into the back of the Oppo and have all my music right there? I think not because I need some sort of organization software, correct? How will I best get my music from iTunes into the Oppo for playback with the best fidelity? This gets a bit confusing for me. I'd love some advice and explanation of how i would best migrate my current iTunes setup over to the new Oppo/Parasound setup. Thanks in advance for your time and help!
I'm now thinking about the OPPO as you are. I think you can make a usb connection from iMac to the OPPO, which will accommodate any music file that is stored on computer, NAS, or hard drive, AIFF, ALAC, ACC, WAV, and AAC. Although iTunes does not process/play DSD, you could use another player for that file type, as well as FLAC, to enjoy from the OPPO.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm now thinking about the OPPO as you are. I think you can make a usb connection from iMac to the OPPO, which will accommodate any music file that is stored on computer, NAS, or hard drive, AIFF, ALAC, ACC, WAV, and AAC. Although iTunes does not process/play DSD, you could use another player for that file type, as well as FLAC, to enjoy from the OPPO.
If you already have a decent BDP, consider the HA-1 as well. I have both and infinitely prefer the HA-1.

S

sterling shoote

If you already have a decent BDP, consider the HA-1 as well. I have both and infinitely prefer the HA-1.
The primary reason for the 105 is enjoyment of multi-channel SACDs. I've looked at the HA-1 but don't recall it doing multi-channel with RCA analog output. I'll look into it again, per your advice.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The primary reason for the 105 is enjoyment of multi-channel SACDs. I've looked at the HA-1 but don't recall it doing multi-channel with RCA analog output. I'll look into it again, per your advice.
If you need multi channel SACDs then you need the 105. I don't have a decent collection of SACDs but I 99% of the time I just play the two channel tracks on them and if I don't have the 105 (have a Denon too), I would be just fine listening to them using my Sony BDP. Of course YMMV. I am biased, I think the HA-1 sounds the best in a sighted test.

A

anish alex

Audiophyte
Hi,
I am using oppo105d as a player with my yamaha a3050 for movies.

As a stereo setup parasound p5 pre and halo a21 power (xlr cables)with klipsch rf7ii speakers with jl e112 subwoofer.
I am not getting any deep bass while playing in my stereo setup, found 40hz is the lower limit.
Means oppo will work as a pre amp and unable to do any tone control.
I like manual controls. forcefully want to buy hdmi preamplifier.
Then what is the difference between 103d and 105d.

Does 103d USB support all the formats like 105d (dsd,flac,mkv...)

Expecting a valued feedback or mail so i can sale my 105d and go for 103d.

Thanks,
Alex.

S

sterling shoote

OPPO says no difference for HDMI output. You can read about it on their web site. There's a whole section devoted to it.

A

anish alex

Audiophyte
OPPO says no difference for HDMI output. You can read about it on their web site. There's a whole section devoted to it.
If there is a minimum crossover of 40 hz,then where will go the remaining low frequencies,or else we need to connect subwoofer to oppo's subwoofer output. As per my experience this crossover setting will not affect in bit-steam setting via hdmi output.

S

sterling shoote

Well, when you output HDMI, your pre/pro or receiver's DSP will manage bass, with output to main speakers, or to mains and sub. You will have options whether or not to deliver full range frequency to mains alone or to send high and mid frequency to mains and low frequency to sub.

A

anish alex

Audiophyte
This means in analog connection like xlr or rca will not get full band.Any integrated amp or pre power via analog connection is not get below 40hz. We need to connect subwoofer connection to oppo output and volume settings to be variable or else subwoofer also unable to drive below 40hz.

This the problem i am facing with parasound p5 with halo a21.

S

sterling shoote

To understand the possibilities and limitations for low frequency reproduction, you're going to need to read the operator's manual for your pre/pro or AVR, as well as the manual for the OPPO. I have a BD player which outputs IEC 958, HDMI and 5.1 RCA. Since I have a pre/pro produced before HDMI , I use the IEC 958 connection from BD player to pre/pro, and manage bass from the preamps DSP to get low frequency to my sub. You too can use the digital output from OPPO to your amp to get low frequency to your sub just by setting the amps DSP to output low frequency to sub. On my unit I set to "stereo + subwoofer.

Now, if you are listening to stereo from your OPPO's balanced or RCA output, the full frequency spectrum, including low frequency will all be sent to your pre/pro or receiver's left and right inputs; and, your full range speakers will reproduce the the whole frequency spectrum including low frequencies. In this arrangement there is nothing going the subwoofer, unless you get an analog crossover that routes to sub and to left/right mains.

Last edited:
A

anish alex

Audiophyte
You are perfectly correct with the receiver connection via HDMI.

But XLR or rca is not giving any full band output in oppo 105d. (there is no setting in oppo)
The crossover is set to be 40hz to 250hz. (it is the fact)
Means if you set the crossover in to 40hz and the below 40hz will go to oppo's subwoofer out.

S

sterling shoote

Just use your coaxial or optical output from OPPO to receiver, then you will indeed have low frequency to sub when you set your receiver's DSP ( digital signal processing) to stereo + subwoofer. Without + sub setting full frequency will go to mains.

Last edited:
A

anish alex

Audiophyte
You are correct,

But i bought this product for

1, Great DAC (ess9018)with xlr output for my parasound p5 stereo pre amplifier with halo a21 amplifier.
Optical and coaxial are not giving that much detail clarity like xlr.

For hdmi,coaxial or optical why need to spend more money.
Better think oppo 103d.

S

sterling shoote

Using your balanced or unbalanced output from OPPO you are outputting full frequency, including low frequency. This, it appears, is not how you understand it. You believe with balanced or unbalanced stereo output you are not getting output of low frequency. Is that what you think? I believe you may be misinterpreting the manual. Read page 71 to 73. Now, you may have set your OPPO to small speakers, which would direct low frequency to sub output, at what ever crossover point you selected, down to 40Hz. Setting OPPO to large speakers will get all frequency to mains. You could also use L and R stereo balanced or unbalanced and then connect analog surround, center, and sub to get low frequency to sub if you wish.

Last edited:
G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
Correct, the balanced outputs are pure direct, no bass management.
... and from page 4 of the review:
Note: The BDP-105 bass management only affects the analog multi-channel outputs. Balanced outputs and HDMI outputs bypass this feature.
That's the default setting for the balanced outputs. You can in fact configure the unit to use the balanced stereo outputs and implement bass management.

This article steps through how to do it: Oppo | Using the Dedicated Stereo Outputs in a 2.1 Configuration.

You may wish to edit the article accordingly.

(Apologies if this has been covered previously; I only scanned the thread quickly.)

F

frans callebaut

Audioholic Intern
hello,
i want to buy a used oppo bdp-105 or 105D, but i see that the 105 has 8 picture noise reduction functions and the 105 D only three. what's the difference between 3 and 8 options to eliminate picture noise reduction ?
best regards,
frans callebaut

M

Mahoney

Audiophyte
Hi

recently tried using the multichannel analog outs for Blu rays and the sound is far superior than using HDMI to a marantz processor

I connect the Oppo direct to the denon POA-a1hd 10 channel amp

but the subwoofer performance seems anemic

does the Oppo 105 still clip the subwoofer analog outs if you set your 5.1 speakers to Small?

here’s the Oscilloscope readings of the Oppo 105 subwoofer analog out channel

I even set my left , right centre and other speakers to large but the the subwoofer analog outs sound tame

one of the beta testers for the oppo 105 at avs seems to think the issue was solved by Oppo but I’m not convinced

its post 3491 by Bob https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-oppo-udp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-owners-thread.2821841/page-175#post-55668716

justvcant see myself moving to a home theatre processor again now cause they don’t sound that good unless you spend crazy money

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis