R

Ras777

Audioholic
Had some friends over the other night to watch a couple of Blue-ray movies that I rented and to my dismay, my player after 4 years of flawless performance decided not to work. Every time I put a Blue-ray disc or audio CD in I get no disc or unknown disc message. I read thru the manual and other then condensation on laser pick up head it has not been very helpful. Any thoughts?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I think the menu has a reset to factory defaults option also.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Did you turn it off (completely) and turn it on again. I know it sounds like an IT joke, but my '103 did the same thing. I turned it off, unplugged it, plugged it back in, turned it back on and all was well with the world. Hopefully yours can be cured by something so simple. Since it is a few years old, cleaning the lens may help as well. Good luck and let us know if the problem persists - perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Humidity is a Enemy of Blu-ray players and CD players. I had that happen to me on CD player. I would start up and a No Disk or all 0 like no disk was in the unit. Also was about send it in for repair, come to find out Humidity got into the unit. I discover that by accident I decided to let the unit sit in a dry place for a few days plugged it back into my setup and has been performing flawless since and it’s been over year. I had a window open for fresh air a few days not realizing those few days the Humidity was high.

Mike

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Thanks for the tips. I unplugged the player for 10 min. that night but it did not fix the issue. In regards to firmware, it is always connected to the internet via ethernet cable and does the updates automatically. I will see if I can force it to update since its been several months since its last one. Is it relatively easy to clean or at least inspect laser head?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Sorry to hear that. I had the same issue with my 105. I had to send it in to Oppo for repair. The laser apparently went bad. Hopefully Oppo is still doing repairs. This was when I first bought the unit so they sent me another right away.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
They didn't charge me anything. If I remember correctly, it was within the first 60 days of buying it from Crutchfield.
That’s the one thing about buy from Crutchfield they offer a 60 day return no matter what. Most others, 30 days or 14 days. If by chance you buy directly from the manufacture, say like Yamaha, Denon or others, there isn’t any return thing because you don’t like it or whatever. You just have to send it in for repair under the warranty or if you just don’t like it for what ever reason you sell it off or live with buyers remorse.

Mike

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
That’s the one thing about buy from Crutchfield they offer a 60 day return no matter what. Most others, 30 days or 14 days. If by chance you buy directly from the manufacture, say like Yamaha, Denon or others, there isn’t any return thing because you don’t like it or whatever. You just have to send it in for repair under the warranty or if you just don’t like it for what ever reason you sell it off or live with buyers remorse.

Mike
True indeed. I like dealing with cruchfield, they are first rate. I don't get everything from them, but when I do they are knowledgeable and friendly.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I had something similar happen to my BDP-103D which I was sure was an issue with the laser pickup. Here is my message to Oppo and what they sent back:

Category: Technical Support
Order Number:
Note: We've had high humidity the last 2 days in CT. My Oppo 103D is unable to read DVD's (no disc error). I have been able to load CD's and Blu-rays. After about an hour the player is able to read a DVD. Is this condensation on the laser lens? Do you guys recommend a particular lens cleaner to use? Or canned air? I don't want to mess up this great player.
Thanks,
Joe B

Joe,

Your laser head could just be dirty or otherwise obstructed.

You will remove the screws on the side (two on each side) and back of the player (5 screws). Remove the top cover of the player by lifting up and pulling the cover away from the player.

When you remove the top cover you will see the loader. The loader has four to six small screws (2 or 3 on each side) which need to be removed. Once removed you can now safely remove the top of the loader and gain access to the servo.

Now clean the laser head surface with a cotton swab and alcohol. Also clean the rubber spindle on the servo to make sure there is no hair or lint which can make the discs load off center.

Reverse the steps to put the player back together.

Now play a disc and see if the same errors persist.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Hope this might help.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
I did some troubleshooting and found that the disc is not spinning up to read the disc, this is why I get no disc message. Oppo says I need to send it in for repair. It's $99 plus shipping not sure it's worth it since most players are UHD now. Planning on a new TV in the next 18 months so I would need a UHD player by then anyway, thoughts?

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I did some troubleshooting and found that the disc is not spinning up to read the disc, this is why I get no disc message. Oppo says I need to send it in for repair. It's $99 plus shipping not sure it's worth it since most players are UHD now. Planning on a new TV in the next 18 months so I would need a UHD player by then anyway, thoughts?
I am biased to the Oppo players, so I would pay as they are an endangered species. It does 4K upsampling of blu ray and on my 4K TV looks better than any streaming services. How much better would a native 4K player look? I can't tell you, but I am happy not finding out for the moment. :D

R

Ras777

Audioholic
True, but new players have Dolby Vision and HDR10+ which make a significant difference. When I upgrade my TV in about 18 months I will want those features. Part of me wants to send it in to have it fixed but in reality, it really is obsolete at this point.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True, but new players have Dolby Vision and HDR10+ which make a significant difference. When I upgrade my TV in about 18 months I will want those features. Part of me wants to send it in to have it fixed but in reality, it really is obsolete at this point.
It'll work as well as any other $100 player for the next 18 months and still be able to sell it for significant bucks afterwards....I'm in the other position, got a 203 but no 4k tv....yet.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I did a quick check on Craigslist. I checked two locations.
In the Atlanta Area, they had a BDP-93 for $325 and a BDP-95 for $700.
In the Trenton NJ Area, there were two BDP-205's for sale. One at $3200 and the other at $4000.
All of those prices seem insane to me, but those guys in NJ smoke too much crack!
Are there really Oppo fan boys willing to pay over $3000 for the 205?

Regardless, you would come out ahead to spend the $100 and flip the unit when you got it back. The Craigslist prices are probably overly optimistic, but I think your 103 after service would go quickly and easy for $300 and $500 is probably reasonable. You can check ebay to see what they go for there!
Additionally, it would be a true shame to see it go to the dump when it is only $100 to get it playing again!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I did a quick check on Craigslist. I checked two locations.
In the Atlanta Area, they had a BDP-93 for $325 and a BDP-95 for $700.
In the Trenton NJ Area, there were two BDP-205's for sale. One at $3200 and the other at $4000.
All of those prices seem insane to me, but those guys in NJ smoke too much crack!
Are there really Oppo fan boys willing to pay over $3000 for the 205?

Regardless, you would come out ahead to spend the $100 and flip the unit when you got it back. The Craigslist prices are probably overly optimistic, but I think your 103 after service would go quickly and easy for $300 and $500 is probably reasonable. You can check ebay to see what they go for there!
Additionally, it would be a true shame to see it go to the dump when it is only $100 to get it playing again!
Agreed!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis