Oppo 981HD vs Denon 2910

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Sorry for this as I know there has been lots of talk about the Oppo DVD players lately and if there is a thread on this I would really appreciate a link..

I have searched this site today for about an hour looking for anybody who has done a side by side of these two players. I currently own the Denon 2910 and have noticed disc compatibility issues. Some burned DVDs don't work, it won't play AVI's or DivX and I have lost a bit of faith in it quite frankly as I want everything I play to work in it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the player when it does play. The audio is fantastic. I like listening to CDs in analog and the DAC's are great. I have tried all the Yamaha players, Pioneer and I used to own a Panasonic.

From what I have read, the Oppo player is awesome for the money. If I was buying a player today if I didn't have one, it would be a no brainer. I would buy the Oppo 981.

I read the Oppo has comparable video to the Denon. I read the Denon has better audio and better build quality. I know from my own comparisons there is a difference between digital audio from one DVD player to the next even though some here say there isn't. The Denon was warmer sounding than the Yamaha, using optical connections as well as analog connections. Nobody can tell me otherwise. The mods here agree too.

I guess I am contemplating over the disc compatibility issue. Does it make sense to go for the Oppo. Would anybody get an Oppo if they already owned the Denon 2910? What player is better, not going on cost, but comparing one on one?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis