A

akicelander

Audiophyte
Was listening to your reviews on the 203 and 205; but I was hoping for mentioning the differences between the 105 and 205, not just between the 203 and 205. My 105 is probably less than 2 years old and was just curious of the significant changes between the 100 series and 200. I am still going through videos and watching, so I may find my answer...thanks!

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
From the 105 to the 205, the main difference is 4K. Newer machine gets newer chips/DAC but that's pretty much it!

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Fyi oppo is going out of business.
Yes & No. They are getting out of the home theater electronics business. They still have a phone business that is doing well in China. But for the purposes of this website & forum, they are getting out of what we want to buy. Sadly.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
OPPO are getting out of the home theater electronics business, but they're maybe still supplying the professional cinema business with 4K and 8K players.

I know that they were supplying blu-ray players for Cineplex theaters and that was a good source of revenue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fyi oppo is going out of business.
Oppo Digital here in the US (Menlo Park CA) ceased production of home audio gear (bought my 203 on the day they announced that, 4/2/18) but supposedly will remain open for support for firmware/repair (we'll see :) ). Oppo Electronics in China is not likely going anywhere, they're the third largest phone company manufacturer in the world.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OPPO are getting out of the home theater electronics business, but they're maybe still supplying the professional cinema business with 4K and 8K players.

I know that they were supplying blu-ray players for Cineplex theaters and that was a good source of revenue.
I see a two year old article about the BDT-101CI for the custom installer/theater market. Wonder if this continued. Maybe @RichB can help out, believe he had some direct contacts at Oppo....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I own both the 105 and 205. They sound more similar than not via analog. DAC and noise, etc... specs may have improved, but it is not so easy to hear the difference because the 105 was already excellent. Very happy with both.

Was just in India for a few weeks and Oppo's phone presence is HUGE there.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They did drop the streaming apps from the 205, tho, right?
Yes, no streaming on 205. Physically, they also went from nearly all touch screen back to some physical buttons on the front panel, which I like.

if someone was looking used and didn't need 4K and interested mainly in the audio aspect, the 105 is a solid player.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
The streaming apps on my 103d are terrible. Netflix is slow as hell to navigate. I used a firetv instead.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The streaming apps on my 105d are terrible. Netflix is slow as hell to navigate. I used a firetv instead.
Streaming apps on most non-dedicated streaming devices (players and TVs) don't seem to be that great (at least, all of the ones I've tried were not good), with the exception of the PS3/PS4.

A

akicelander

Audiophyte
Yes, no streaming on 205. Physically, they also went from nearly all touch screen back to some physical buttons on the front panel, which I like.

if someone was looking used and didn't need 4K and interested mainly in the audio aspect, the 105 is a solid player.
Thanks for this, my system is primarily 2 channel audio. I'll wait to see what Gene and crew say is the next best thing for 4K video...I am not in a hurry on that piece yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for this, my system is primarily 2 channel audio. I'll wait to see what Gene and crew say is the next best thing for 4K video...I am not in a hurry on that piece yet.
What's the rest of your setup for audio & video?

A

akicelander

Audiophyte
Well it's been a long time building. It's centered around my Martin Logan Theos ESL speakers. Driving them with an ATI (AT3000) amp. For controls I went with Anthem MRX 720...and I know I am not using it to its capabilities, but got it on ebay for a steal and with the output on the channels at 140W (?), it should do a great job for surrond sound when I get into the home with an entertainment room. Then of course I've got the Oppo105. I know the amp has the power to drive the Theos speakers, just didn't know much about ATI (or if it was a generic brand with someone's else's parts). I just didn't want to starve the speakers. So that was the logic behind my system...right, wrong or indifferent. I love the Martin Logans and because I am in Alaska, my selection is very limited and these were shipped up from Seattle. The TV is a Samsung (curved) and I do not even try to stay up on TV's...they frick'n change ever 6 months. And none of them display like the demo clips in Costco, (I know you guys/gals know what I'm talking about) :)

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I see a two year old article about the BDT-101CI for the custom installer/theater market. Wonder if this continued. Maybe @RichB can help out, believe he had some direct contacts at Oppo....
Oppo Digital is only maintaining the current players through the 2-year warranty period. To the best of my knowledge, there will be no new products. There may be some firmware improvements but that is speculation. For example, The Cambridge Audio player built on the Oppo 20x platform may be getting HDR10+ support. If that happens, it may also be pushed out to the 20x players.

When the announcement was made, I ordered another 205 and a 203 because they stream MKV and backups from HDR disks and are much faster than the 10x players.

- Rich

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oppo Digital is only maintaining the current players through the 2-year warranty period. To the best of my knowledge, there will be no new products. There may be some firmware improvements but that is speculation. For example, The Cambridge Audio player built on the Oppo 20x platform may be getting HDR10+ support. If that happens, it may also be pushed out to the 20x players.

When the announcement was made, I ordered another 205 and a 203 because they stream MKV and backups from HDR disks and are much faster than the 10x players.

- Rich
Thanks. Was the BDT-101CI run thru Oppo Digital US, tho? Was never on their website the times I checked? Or marketed in another way, maybe?

D

Dellrhigley13

Audiophyte

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis