Hi,

Specifically there are a few around my price point:-

SVS PB 1000
REL STORM III
REL Quake
B&W ASW608
Velodyne CT SERIES
B&W ASW 500

I would really appreciate any guidance available!

I've been watching subs for a few years on ebay and seen a plethora of different options come and go whilst not being seriously intent on actually buying.

I'm now stuck home as I'm disabled and have decided to take the plunge. I'm looking to spend around £250 to upgrade my M&K VX100 that I picked up many years back for under £100.

I've got a 7.1 Atmos setup with A Denon AVRX2400h, M&K THX centre, 4x B&W VM1 +2 M1 speakers which I use for 50:50 music /movies.

I love my dad's REL but he has a huge lounge whereas mine is tiny.. around 3mx3m.

I've seen all the above within my price range and would like to get one of them. I love the sound of my current sub and bought that "blind" not even having heard of M&K previously.

I realise this is not the best way to proceed - without auditioning - and is a gamble but I quite like the mystery element to shopping this way and I'm not overly fussy.

Clearly is difficult to say which might be better in my room /with my setup, but I wanted to gauge any experiences of these subs and also get your thoughts on whether any of these are "steals" for the price.

"As far as I am see, the SVS is still selling new for around £500 so at £250 on eBay is a good shout.

Also not being overly familiar with the physics of subwoofers, but having a background in science, I'm curious to understand whether a 10" can really

reach the low frequencies that a 12" can, and more generally what the benefits might be from going for a larger unit.

Anyone with experience of the above or opinions on which to go for would be well received!

Thanks in anticipation.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

Specifically there are a few around my price point:-

SVS PB 1000
REL STORM III
REL Quake
B&W ASW608
Velodyne CT SERIES
B&W ASW 500

I would really appreciate any guidance available!

I've been watching subs for a few years on ebay and seen a plethora of different options come and go whilst not being seriously intent on actually buying.

I'm now stuck home as I'm disabled and have decided to take the plunge. I'm looking to spend around £250 to upgrade my M&K VX100 that I picked up many years back for under £100.

I've got a 7.1 Atmos setup with A Denon AVRX2400h, M&K THX centre, 4x B&W VM1 +2 M1 speakers which I use for 50:50 music /movies.

I love my dad's REL but he has a huge lounge whereas mine is tiny.. around 3mx3m.

I've seen all the above within my price range and would like to get one of them. I love the sound of my current sub and bought that "blind" not even having heard of M&K previously.

I realise this is not the best way to proceed - without auditioning - and is a gamble but I quite like the mystery element to shopping this way and I'm not overly fussy.

Clearly is difficult to say which might be better in my room /with my setup, but I wanted to gauge any experiences of these subs and also get your thoughts on whether any of these are "steals" for the price.

"As far as I am see, the SVS is still selling new for around £500 so at £250 on eBay is a good shout.

Also not being overly familiar with the physics of subwoofers, but having a background in science, I'm curious to understand whether a 10" can really

reach the low frequencies that a 12" can, and more generally what the benefits might be from going for a larger unit.

Anyone with experience of the above or opinions on which to go for would be well received!

Thanks in anticipation.
Since you are in the UK, the REL will be the best value for money. They are the only decent sub manufacturer in the UK. A 10" sub commercial will not really perform lie a 12" will. To really make a 10" sub work you need different loading other then sealed or standard porting. So for a good 10' sub you need good DIY design skills. The cabinet will not be small though because of Hoffman's Iron Law.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some would say Rel is a relic and perhaps BK Elec in the UK is a much better value in any case....personally Rel would never make my maybe list here in the US, just poor value for the performance.

Driver diameter tells part of the story, the motor on the driver another part, the box design another part.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis