Opinions on 2 channel

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
I have been through a few sets of speakers now.
I really like the EMP EF30T that I bought here.

Problems:

1. The cabinets are garbage, been through two sets and they all have rattles after about 5 hours in certain mid range frequencies.

2. Their bass extension is pretty weak at higher volumes.

When they are not rattling, I love the sound.

But I want a more full range speaker with more bass extension for two channel music. Considering amping them with an Emotiva if needed.

What are my options for under $2000 a pair. $2500 absolute max.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Try these;
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Synchrony/Synchrony-One

They've gotten rave reviews in the audio industry.

or these;

http://www.totemacoustic.com/products/columns/forest/specifications/

Problems:

1. The cabinets are garbage, been through two sets and they all have rattles after about 5 hours in certain mid range frequencies.

But I want a more full range speaker with more bass extension for two channel music. Considering amping them with an Emotiva if needed.

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

Problems:

If your not opposed to some do-it-yourself mods you can probably get rid of the rattling yourself with some peel-in-seal or dynomat in the cabinets and removing the sheilding around the baskets.

For speaker recommendations I would have to go with the Salk Songtowers for a two-channel setup in that price range. From everything I've read they are one of the best in that price bracket.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
The only opinion that matters is yours...

So, with all of this information securely stowed in your cranium, it’s finally time to head out to ______? Where do you go to listen to speakers? A “big-box” store? Radio Shack? An audio salon? Just where is the best place to audition speakers? The answer is - in your room. Sure, peruse the internet, jump into forums, read reviews, ask questions…but only as a starting point. As you seek enlightenment, remember you’re inquiring about a very subjective matter. Jot down some brand names and models, see what’s in your area, and plan on spending the better part of several days driving around and listening. Take along a note pad, and write down your impressions of each speaker you listen to. Afterwards, take some time to digest what you’ve heard, what you liked and what you didn’t like. Then, repeat as much as possible until you’ve listened to a lot of choices, and then start to narrow down your list. Go back several times until you have only a few choices left.

Now here’s where it can get tricky. As I said before, the best place to audition is in your room. Ideally, the store you’ve been visiting will allow you to take home a floor sample (with a security deposit) and listen to the speakers with your equipment in the space you have. This is the only way to know just how the speaker is going to sound for you in your domicile. In lieu of such an audition, you may want to consider the return policy of the store where you’re purchasing. Chances are, if you’ve been able to listen in a dedicated listening room (rather than a noisy sales floor) you should have a good impression of the qualities of the speaker, but it’s always good to have a means to return, or trade in the speakers.

Of course another issue is the cost. Sure, you could by a $15 pair of computer speakers, plug them in and they’ll make sound, but if you’ve read this article in its entirety so far, you know you want something more. Some people only want a pair of speakers to start with, while others jump right in and go for the full 7.1 setup right off the bat. Either way is fine after proper auditioning, but a budget is of concern. You may think you only want two speakers for music listening at first, but since home theater has really taken off, it would be wise to see if the line of speakers you’re considering have matching center channel and surround speakers for possible future expansion. This will help to insure a cohesive sound all through out in a surround sound system. You don’t need a “matching” subwoofer as bass is handled a bit differently, and a quality sub can be added at any time. Also, never feel like you need to buy a certain brand nor spend your life savings to get good sounding speakers.

Another consideration is buying from the internet. Some better deals can be found, and some companies sell direct from their web site, eliminating the “middle man” while passing the savings on to you. Some even allow an in home audition (crucial since there’s no other way of auditioning) and a liberal return policy. There’s also the used market to consider, especially if the speaker you want is out of reach financially, or just isn’t made anymore, but keep in mind “caveat emptor” - let the buyer beware. Know who you’re getting the speakers from, and ask if they’ll accept a return/refund as part of the deal. Not as likely as retail, but it never hurts to ask.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
The only opinion that matters is yours...

So, with all of this information securely stowed in your cranium, it’s finally time to head out to ______? Where do you go to listen to speakers? A “big-box” store? Radio Shack? An audio salon? Just where is the best place to audition speakers? The answer is - in your room. Sure, peruse the internet, jump into forums, read reviews, ask questions…but only as a starting point. As you seek enlightenment, remember you’re inquiring about a very subjective matter. Jot down some brand names and models, see what’s in your area, and plan on spending the better part of several days driving around and listening. Take along a note pad, and write down your impressions of each speaker you listen to. Afterwards, take some time to digest what you’ve heard, what you liked and what you didn’t like. Then, repeat as much as possible until you’ve listened to a lot of choices, and then start to narrow down your list. Go back several times until you have only a few choices left.

Now here’s where it can get tricky. As I said before, the best place to audition is in your room. Ideally, the store you’ve been visiting will allow you to take home a floor sample (with a security deposit) and listen to the speakers with your equipment in the space you have. This is the only way to know just how the speaker is going to sound for you in your domicile. In lieu of such an audition, you may want to consider the return policy of the store where you’re purchasing. Chances are, if you’ve been able to listen in a dedicated listening room (rather than a noisy sales floor) you should have a good impression of the qualities of the speaker, but it’s always good to have a means to return, or trade in the speakers.

Of course another issue is the cost. Sure, you could by a $15 pair of computer speakers, plug them in and they’ll make sound, but if you’ve read this article in its entirety so far, you know you want something more. Some people only want a pair of speakers to start with, while others jump right in and go for the full 7.1 setup right off the bat. Either way is fine after proper auditioning, but a budget is of concern. You may think you only want two speakers for music listening at first, but since home theater has really taken off, it would be wise to see if the line of speakers you’re considering have matching center channel and surround speakers for possible future expansion. This will help to insure a cohesive sound all through out in a surround sound system. You don’t need a “matching” subwoofer as bass is handled a bit differently, and a quality sub can be added at any time. Also, never feel like you need to buy a certain brand nor spend your life savings to get good sounding speakers.

Another consideration is buying from the internet. Some better deals can be found, and some companies sell direct from their web site, eliminating the “middle man” while passing the savings on to you. Some even allow an in home audition (crucial since there’s no other way of auditioning) and a liberal return policy. There’s also the used market to consider, especially if the speaker you want is out of reach financially, or just isn’t made anymore, but keep in mind “caveat emptor” - let the buyer beware. Know who you’re getting the speakers from, and ask if they’ll accept a return/refund as part of the deal. Not as likely as retail, but it never hurts to ask.
No matching needed, I have a home theater which I am not happy with right now for music, so I am moving onto a dedicated room for two channel music.

Unfortunately, I don't really believe in auditioning speakers in the store too much because it's never the same when you bring it home.
It helps but not the same, secondly some of these speakers everyone mentions it is really hard to find them to listen in the store.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
If your not opposed to some do-it-yourself mods you can probably get rid of the rattling yourself with some peel-in-seal or dynomat in the cabinets and removing the sheilding around the baskets.

For speaker recommendations I would have to go with the Salk Songtowers for a two-channel setup in that price range. From everything I've read they are one of the best in that price bracket.
I will check out those.

DIY, is fine for me and I guess I have to expect it for $700 speakers.
Just annoying.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I will check out those.

DIY, is fine for me and I guess I have to expect it for $700 speakers.
Just annoying.
You should not have to expect this kind of thing from $700 speakers. My PSB ImageT45 msrp are $750.00 and there is no rattle in them whatsoever and I'm on 5 year of owning them. There are alot of speakers in that price ranage that do not rattle either. Maybe you just purchased from a bad lot. I really don't know.

J

just listening

Audioholic
Some good choices. I would add the AV123 Rocket RS 850's since they are currently in stock and at a killer price of $1199 + shipping
http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=27&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37
Then add in $450 for the Skiing Ninja x-over upgrade
http://www.skiingninja.com/RS850-Upgrades-p/rs850.htm

That combination is unbelievable for the price.

Another wise choice that also gives you 30 days in home is the Aperion 6T Towers at $1390pr and free shipping both ways.
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-6T-Tower-Speaker,110,28,255.aspx

F

fredk

Audioholic General
You should not expect rattling crap at any price IMO.

Add Axiom M80s to your list. Pretty much any of the speakers listed will give you good sound and will not rattle. The M80s will play cleanly to stoopid loud if you have the power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis