Opinions? Looking for suggestions for final decision

• Thread starter loganschleich17
  • Start date
L

loganschleich17

Audioholic Intern
Hey, so I have been researching and talking to several people looking for suggestions. My goal in the beginning was a 5.2 system but currently I’m strongly considering this setup:
Denon x3400h ( i already own)
Svs prime pinnacles( with my small room they seem like a good choice because they have less strict placement options)
Svs ultra center
Svs prime satellites
1 pb 2000 ,But am split between the 2000 and a hsu sub. I could go dual as well but only if necessary.
The svs set up will cost 3350

This will be in my living room in a town home and svs thinks 1 pb 2000 in a 11x 16 room should be plenty considering space and I’m almost exclusively movies, tv, and watching sports.
So I’m reaching out for questions and suggestions. If there are better choices for my space and the use being mostly Home theater. I have 2-3k extra to spend and was thinking about using it on a lg oled tv. Right now I have a Vizio m65-c1 and it’s decent but nothing special. So idk whether to step up and use that extra $ on speakers or upgrade the tv . If I spend more on speakers idk what would be the better options based on my preferences. So I need help with that.
But if I go with the svs set up would it be necesssary to get a power amp for them? If so what are good options out there?
And finally should I get a 80$ surge protector / power conditioner or would I benefit from a Panamax 4300/5100?
I know it’s a load of questions but I’d appreciate any help. Thank you
Logan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think you need a power amp for the SVS speakers since you aren't likely to be listening to them at a very loud volume. The Prime Pinnacles are great speakers but I think they are overkill for your situation. I would be looking at bookshelf speakers. You won't be taking advantage of the bass extension of the Prime Pinnacles if you pair them up with a subwoofer, and you won't be taking advantage of their extra dynamic range capability either. Decent bookshelf speakers will get plenty loud for your situation I think. Hsu is another great manufacturer, and you can't go wrong with either them or SVS. I think that a PB-2000 or PC-2000 would be sufficient for you, or also a VTF-2 mk5 from Hsu.

I wouldn't bother with a power conditioner unless the electricity in your area is known to be unreliable.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with shady. If you're a fan of SVS (I am), it's hard to beat the Ultra bookshelf speaker for $399 apiece from their outlet. They're outstanding bookshelf speakers for that price and with a sub you won't miss the lower extension you get with the Pinnacle towers.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Shady and Pogre's posts, with the one exception that I would discourage you from the SVS subwoofer!
I am not a fan of subwoofers that do not have good tuning flexibility!
The SVS PB-2000 has no tuning options! You are in a town home and I will assume there are only so many locations for a sub in your room that would be feasible (and/or have acceptable WAF). You were not specific about which Hsu model you are considering, but they almost always offer tuning in the form of:
1) Plugging one or two ports
2) Switch between two EQ profiles
3) Variable Q knob

For setup, I would
1) determine where in your room you are willing to place your sub (I assume, like most people, you are not willing to put you sub in the middle of where a person would walk through the room)
2) Perform a sub crawl of those locations to determine which works best
3) Locate the sub there, then use the three variables above (along with advice from Hsu) to get the best sound at you listening position.
4) Let Audyssey make adjustments as the final step! Several accounts have shown that the best results are obtained when everything else is optimized before you run Audyssey.
Not part of the sub setup, but I also would recommend you get the D&M Audyssey app and compare the results for "full range Audyssey" vs "Audyssey limited to below 300Hz"

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The HSU subs are very nice. I really like the strong mid bass of my dual HSU VTF2 mk5.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis