Opinion on sound quality....7.1 analog or HDMI

G

Golfnut_42

Audiophyte
I was curious as to what you guys think about the sound quality between 7.1 analog W/ high end cables vs. HDMI using high end cables, which is better?

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
They should both sound the same if they are hooked up correctly. Don't mistake "high-end" cables for well made cables. If you're going to buy expensive cables, buy them because they look pretty, not to get better sound... or don't buy "high-end" cables at all :p

Second thought, I guess it could matter based on which has a better decoding system, the br player or your receiver. Maybe someone else can chime in if you give your equipment list.

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
It depends. Ultimately, the signal will need to be analog so it can reach your ears. If your processor has better DACs than your sound source, then it is better to feed the processor a digital signal, and allow it to convert the signal to analog. If your sound source has better DACs than your processor, it is better to allow the sound source to convert the signal to analog. You should listen to your system both ways and then decide. High end cables are probably irrelevant to the issue.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think every case is a little different.

At one point I was a hardcore ANALOG guy and believed that ANALOG PURE DIRECT was better than bitstream.

I've compared the two numerous times.

I have concluded that for ME, bitstream via HDMI is the best.

But you will have to try both and see.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I was curious as to what you guys think about the sound quality between 7.1 analog W/ [strike]high end[/strike] Monoprice/BJC cables vs. HDMI using [strike]high end[/strike] Monoprice/BJC cables, which is better?
If the analog stuff in either player or receiver are comparable, then HDMI wins IMO for some other related/unrelated reasons.

There does not exist a player, at least that I know of, that can matrix or apply any kind of post processing to the analog outputs.

This means that to benefit from the rears in a 7.1 configuration, the disc itself must be natively in 7.1.

A receiver cannot apply matrixing or post processing to the mch analog inputs, AFAIK, but maybe there's an exception out there. However, if there does indeed exist exceptions, they would probably have to turn it into digital, add processing, turn it back to analog.

Lastly, you are reliant on the bass mgmt on the player itself, which for most is pretty rudimentary and/or inflexible.

Nutshell: HDMI wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
If the analog stuff in either player or receiver are comparable, then HDMI wins IMO for some other related/unrelated reasons.

There does not exist a player, at least that I know of, that can matrix or apply any kind of post processing to the analog outputs.

This means that to benefit from the rears in a 7.1 configuration, the disc itself must be natively in 7.1.

A receiver cannot apply matrixing or post processing to the mch analog inputs, AFAIK, but maybe there's an exception out there. However, if there does indeed exist exceptions, they would probably have to turn it into digital, add processing, turn it back to analog.

Lastly, you are reliant on the bass mgmt on the player itself, which for most is pretty rudimentary and/or inflexible.

Nutshell: HDMI wins.
And boom goes the dynamite

H

HDPCsound

Audioholic
I have many players using 7.1 analog going thru my multichannel switch box and i enjoy the sound!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis