Opinion on Emotiva A4 amp

S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
I am looking a getting the Emotiva A4 amp to supplement my V6A. I am going to use the A4 to power my front channels and use my V6A to power the rear and height channels. Right now I have B&W 602 S2 fronts but looking at replacing them with KEF LS 50 META or R3 (depending on my budget at the time of purchase).

Ken

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why get an amp that's less powerful than your avr's amps? Why a four channel amp for two speakers or ? If getting an external amp I'd get a much more powerful amp if I'm going to go that route....

S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
Why get an amp that's less powerful than your avr's amps? Why a four channel amp for two speakers or ? If getting an external amp I'd get a much more powerful amp if I'm going to go that route....
That makes sense. I should go for a 2 channel. That being said, what your opinion on Emotiva A2. Reason I am looking at Emotiva is the price and I have heard very positive opinions on it but I like to hear the members here.
Ken

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That makes sense. I should go for a 2 channel. That being said, what your opinion on Emotiva A2. Reason I am looking at Emotiva is the price and I have heard very positive opinions on it but I like to hear the members here.
Ken
Personally not a fan of Emotiva but the A2 is likely more powerful in 4 ohms than your avr, close to what you have at 8 ohms, tho. I'd still go bigger if going with an external amp. Personally I'd go with a Crown XLS 1502 for close to the same money, much more powerful.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Ken
Inbox Gene, about Emotiva's service after the warranty runs out. Gene had two of their top dog monoblock amps. They went out and after the warranty ran out, Emotiva refuse to service them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had issues with Emotiva's processors, but their service has always been good. I had one issue with an amp and they took care of it very quickly. They also repaired my processor for the price of shipping previously, while it was under warranty. When it died the second time, I went with another brand, though I still have the XPA-5.

I have to agree as well, that moving to an external amp that is about the same power doesn't make a lot of sense. Yes, it will lower demand on the AVR, but the benefit isn't worth the cost. My son in law has the A5 amp and I sold him my old 4 Ohm speakers. It could not handle having 3 of the speakers being 4 Ohm despite its 4 Ohm rating, but they are pretty demanding speakers @ 2.6 Ohms minimum.

A2, A3 and A4 all unavailable FYI.

Last edited:
S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
Personally not a fan of Emotiva but the A2 is likely more powerful in 4 ohms than your avr, close to what you have at 8 ohms, tho. I'd still go bigger if going with an external amp. Personally I'd go with a Crown XLS 1502 for close to the same money, much more powerful.
I looked into the Crown XSL 1502. and am liking what i hear. I think on getting these. I take it that the Crown will have no issues powers any speakers.

Ken

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I looked into the Crown XSL 1502. and am liking what i hear. I think on getting these. I take it that the Crown will have no issues powers any speakers.

Ken
I use them for both mains and subs myself, no issues with low impedance speakers (they're rated to 2 ohm). FWIW I have four XLS1500s (the first gen) and a XLS2502.

S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
I use them for both mains and subs myself, no issues with low impedance speakers (they're rated to 2 ohm). FWIW I have four XLS1500s (the first gen) and a XLS2502.
Look at getting KEF LS50META or R3 speakers and I hear they need power to get the best out of them.

Ken

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Look at getting KEF LS50META or R3 speakers and I hear they need power to get the best out of them.

Ken
You'll hear that about many many speaker brands/models from somewhat overly excited fans :) but then again having more amp than you need isn't a bad plan either. A speaker needs the power it needs depending on your distance from the speaker and your listening levels (might play around with this calculator to get a feel for the relationship http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html ). Kef makes a good speaker, and looking at measurements of the speakers a 4 ohm capable amp or better would be in order for both of these models. What do you have for subs?

S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
You'll hear that about many many speaker brands/models from somewhat overly excited fans :) but then again having more amp than you need isn't a bad plan either. A speaker needs the power it needs depending on your distance from the speaker and your listening levels (might play around with this calculator to get a feel for the relationship http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html ). Kef makes a good speaker, and looking at measurements of the speakers a 4 ohm capable amp or better would be in order for both of these models. What do you have for subs?
No sub yet but I am leaning towards a SVS Micro 3000 but I am open to any suggestions. I like to get a compact (due to spacing) and preferably white to match my décor of the room and the replacement speakers will be in white too. The sub will be powered by my V6A. Pictures give you an idea with the space I am working with. Right now my 602 S2 are behind my TV and it is working great and by new speakers will be behind the TV also.

Ken

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No sub yet but I am leaning towards a SVS Micro 3000 but I am open to any suggestions. I like to get a compact (due to spacing) and preferably white to match my décor of the room and the replacement speakers will be in white too. The sub will be powered by my V6A. Pictures give you an idea with the space I am working with. Right now my 602 S2 are behind my TV and it is working great and by new speakers will be behind the TV also.

Ken
Personally I'd just use the speakers with your avr to start, and only expand to a power amp if you run into audible issues. Those speakers definitely need support from a sub, but I wouldn't get one of those little subs like the micro, not a real sub particularly. Hard to fight Hoffman's Iron Law....

S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
Personally I'd just use the speakers with your avr to start, and only expand to a power amp if you run into audible issues. Those speakers definitely need support from a sub, but I wouldn't get one of those little subs like the micro, not a real sub particularly. Hard to fight Hoffman's Iron Law....
So you believe I should just stick with my 22 year old 602 S2 without a ext amo for now. The reason I am looking at new speakers is because I am starting to notice that my S2 are getting long in the tooth. The drivers are not as tight as they used to be and I am hearing it on some bass heavy music.

Ken

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You will get more benefit from upgrading the speakers than an amp IMO. Not that the S2s are a bad speaker, but speakers have the largest impact on your sound. For sure the S2s do not need an amp in that space.

Smallest sub I would consider is probably the SVS SB1000 pro and it comes in white. Depending on the actual room size though, you may want something bigger.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a B&W fan particularly myself, but perhaps their age is affecting performance, perhaps not. Sonic memory is not a very exact thing....but if you had measurements to compare....but lots of good speakers outside of B&W/Kef....

S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
Not a B&W fan particularly myself, but perhaps their age is affecting performance, perhaps not. Sonic memory is not a very exact thing....but if you had measurements to compare....but lots of good speakers outside of B&W/Kef....
Well these are the speakers I have been looking at:
Monitor Audio Bronze 100
Q Acoustics 3030
Warfedale Evo 4.1 or Diamond 21.2 or Linton
Martin Logan Motion 35 XTi
DefTech Demand D9 or D11
Just to name a few off of the top of my head. The reason I lean on KEFbecause I have heard them and like their sound and styling. B&W is because I have a pair now but not really impressed with their current models except their 800 diamond series and those are WAYYYYY out of my budget. any suggestion on other speaker that are not more then $1500 but prefer around $1000.

Ken

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
States until December 19 when I will be moving to Dublin.

Ken
Just was curious with the several UK brands in your list :) Will all your gear be appropriate for the electrical system there? Wonder if it might also yield better pricing for those brands over there? I haven't speaker shopped particularly for a while. I do like my JBL 590s, and they do go on sale fairly regularly for under $1k/pr.....

S

sgt1255

Enthusiast
Just was curious with the several UK brands in your list :) Will all your gear be appropriate for the electrical system there? Wonder if it might also yield better pricing for those brands over there? I haven't speaker shopped particularly for a while. I do like my JBL 590s, and they do go on sale fairly regularly for under $1k/pr.....
I like British speakers that's why but not married to them so I will look at recommendations too. I am planning on getting the components here. I will look at the JBL 500. I am not a big Klipsch fan. Besides JBL, any other suggestions.

Ken

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis