killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Did anyone try to open these speakers?

What should I watch for? Any "heads up"?

Thank you!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Why do you want to open them? Is there something you must do inside them? Or are you just curious?

The screws that attach the driver to the cabinet are hidden by a trim ring. Prying that ring loose may or may not be difficult. And the effort to pry it loose may or may not damage the finish. That may not harm the sound, but it will be highly visible. I know you prize your LS50s. Do you care about their appearance?

Here's an exploded diagram showing those trim rings

And here is a diagram showing the inside of the cabinets

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I know you prize your LS50s. Do you care about their appearance?
Thank you @Swerd As you might have expected, I've seen these and starred at them for hours.

I care for every minute hair-scratch to the finish. This is why I wouldn’t go through the front. I’ve managed to find a video clip showing this way of removing the driver. I got the feeling that screws might have had some type of resin that would, either be a seal of a sort and a proof that they haven’t been opened, or to prevent screws from loosening over time due to vibrations.

I’m afraid I will have to open them; there has been an accident of a sort. Don’t even ask. I had nightmares.

I’m thinking of removing the baffle with the driver attached. I wouldn’t want to pluck a wire or something, so I’m asking if anyone ever opened one of these.

What I can tell you and the others here so far, to share my experience, is that even rubber covers on the back of the speaker seem to be fastened with some sort of glue/adhesive/fixer… (at least I hope it’s that and that I’m not slowly discovering some foul play on the dealer’s side – as in; he sold me a returned pair hoping I wouldn’t find out).

The shinny ring around the rubber suspension is removed much like grills on older speakers. I didn’t go through with it, but I saw it being removed simply by pulling.

I hoped for a quick in and out – four screws – baffle off – do what I need to do – baffle on – screw it in place.

Now I see that even the screw covers don’t come out easily. I would still prefer this way.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
All speaker cabinet front baffles (with one exception), that I've seen, have been permanently glued onto the rest of the cabinet. To get inside, it would necessary to remove the screws that hold the driver to the baffle. There may be a rubber gasket or some other type of sealing material between the woofer frame and the front baffle. Before you try to go inside, it would be wise to learn what that sealing material is. Have a suitable replacement ready to use in case removing the woofer destroys the existing seal.

Good luck.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
All speaker cabinet front baffles (with one exception), that I've seen, have been permanently glued onto the rest of the cabinet. To get inside, it would necessary to remove the screws that hold the driver to the baffle. There may be a rubber gasket or some other type of sealing material between the woofer frame and the front baffle. Before you try to go inside, it would be wise to learn what that sealing material is. Have a suitable replacement ready to use in case removing the woofer destroys the existing seal.

Good luck.
Exactly! I'm in no rush and that's why I asked here. So you assume that the four screws going from the back of the speaker through the box and into the baffle plastic are more like reinforcement and not something that does the entire job of holding the baffle? I'll try to learn as much as possible before doing anything. I wrote to the KEF company, I'm still waiting for the response.

Maaan, are these some gray days for me. One should never punch above his weight, it's too much of a tragedy when it fails. I'm posting this as a tip of the day.

Thank you for the wishes.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I found a couple of pics around the web and it would seem that at least there's no glue between the baffle and the cabinet:
DOTK1hV.jpg
Don't worry, this is not mine. The guy said the baflfe comes of but it would appear he thinks it is made of aluminum:
imageproxy.jpg
This is a quote from him:
"Once the four screws are removed the aluminium front panel will be loose."
I was right about the rubber covers:
IYjd5Ik.jpg

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
So you assume that the four screws going from the back of the speaker through the box and into the baffle plastic are more like reinforcement and not something that does the entire job of holding the baffle? I'll try to learn as much as possible before doing anything. I wrote to the KEF company, I'm still waiting for the response.
I mean something different that what I think you've said. The screws on the front hold the driver to the baffle. I don't expect to see any other attachment. KEF will certainly know.

Once you pull out the trim ring from the front of the driver, you should see 4, 6, or 8 screws. Probably 4. They alone attach the driver frame to the front of the baffle. The diagrams I saw don't clearly show what type of screwdriver tip is required. It may be Phillips head, hexagonal, Torx, or other type. See this link for a list & diagram of different types. Use the correct tip for the job, but don't buy anything before you see what you need.

Remove the screws carefully. Take care to never allow the tip to slip out of the screw head and puncture the woofer cone. (Trust me, I have firsthand experience :eek:.) Square, Robertson, Hex, or Torx type screw head are good because those tips cannot slip out. Be most careful with slot drive tips. If you need Phillips head, my sympathy. (They were designed by the Devil.)

You may have to pry the woofer frame loose from the rubber gasket behind it. Do that carefully with a thin bladed flat tool, like a butter knife.

After that, the woofer should come out easily. Study the wire colors and where each wire is attached. Do not rely on your memory – write it down. (see above comment about firsthand experience).
Maaan, are these some gray days for me. One should never punch above his weight, it's too much of a tragedy when it fails. I'm posting this as a tip of the day.
Don't despair. It can be repaired. If the finish does get scratched in the process, it can be filled or polished out. Any good furniture finish repair guy can do that.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I mean something different that what I think you've said. The screws on the front hold the driver to the baffle. I don't expect to see any other attachment. KEF will certainly know.
I have a feeling it is easier to release the entire front baffle. I don't even need to separate the driver from the baffle. Also, comments and pics would imply there is no glue or gasket between the baffle and the cabinet which is one more reason to opt for this method.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The screws are Philips for the driver and hexagonal for the baffle.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I keep finding pics like this one. It looks like there's no glue.
post-144521-0-96544700-1456104992_thumb.jpg

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Just curious but would going in through the back be easier? I found this..

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Just curious but would going in through the back be easier? I found this..
Yes, I've seen these. Thank you anyway. The pic is from the powered one; wireless LS50. ON the back of the passive ones there's just four screws, two binding posts and a port. Nothing else.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@killdozzer
Don't just leave us in suspense! What's going on that makes you want to open these up and have a look???

Even if it's painful, we may be able to offer advice.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@killdozzer
Don't just leave us in suspense! What's going on that makes you want to open these up and have a look???

Thank you, man. Your post, as well other, soothes my soul.

Look, I'm ashamed to say it. It really doesn't present me in a favourable light.

I put a dent into the cone. It is so small and barely visible that most of you would probably tell me to leave it and touch nothing, but it has no place there and it needs to disappear.

I was dusting my speakers. I'm fully aware of how soft aluminum membrane must be. So I never use anything hard or harsh on them, but I don't want to leave the dust because afterr awhile it sticks to the surface and doesn't go away.

I just take the cloth for reading glasses and I flick the dust away. I do this EXACTLY because I know I have to be careful. While flicking my fingers touched the membrane so slightly that I didn't even stop. I went on to dust the other one not even suspecting something could be wrong. While standing in front of my other speaker I glanced towards the previous and saw, much to my horror, that the membrane circle is not fully round, but that there is a small indentation slightly banding the curvature of the membrane.

I froze. I'm not making this up, I dreamt I was taking it to the shop and getting it back good as new.

No audible distortions even when played very loud. As i said, it is so small, it is more of a dent to my heart.

I can NOT leave it there. It haunts me. I have to make it right. It is so small that the lightest push in opposite direction would even it out right away. Barely visible.

My speakers can not have a dent. It makes me feel stupid.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@killdozzer

I honestly think I didn't deserve this. I was making speaker cables for my nephew the whole day and I just wanted to dust them of. It was one uncontrolled move. Damn it!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you, man. Your post, as well other, soothes my soul.

Look, I'm ashamed to say it. It really doesn't present me in a favourable light.

I put a dent into the cone. It is so small and barely visible that most of you would probably tell me to leave it and touch nothing, but it has no place there and it needs to disappear.

I was dusting my speakers. I'm fully aware of how soft aluminum membrane must be. So I never use anything hard or harsh on them, but I don't want to leave the dust because afterr awhile it sticks to the surface and doesn't go away.

I just take the cloth for reading glasses and I flick the dust away. I do this EXACTLY because I know I have to be careful. While flicking my fingers touched the membrane so slightly that I didn't even stop. I went on to dust the other one not even suspecting something could be wrong. While standing in front of my other speaker I glanced towards the previous and saw, much to my horror, that the membrane circle is not fully round, but that there is a small indentation slightly banding the curvature of the membrane.

I froze. I'm not making this up, I dreamt I was taking it to the shop and getting it back good as new.

No audible distortions even when played very loud. As i said, it is so small, it is more of a dent to my heart.

I can NOT leave it there. It haunts me. I have to make it right. It is so small that the lightest push in opposite direction would even it out right away. Barely visible.

My speakers can not have a dent. It makes me feel stupid.
Yeah, that is painful!

I think you said it best when you said it dented your heart.

I will reassure you, this is almost certainly cosmetic only and won't degrade the audio performance.

It's a shame that those speakers don't even have a grill option, this could have avoided that situation completely

For dusting electronics and valuables, I can give you 2 excellent recommendations.

Compressed air cans or electric blowers. But, be careful with air cans not to spray out any liquid by mistake, and sometimes the electric blowers can have too much pressure

And/or the swiffer dusters are excellent! Just be sure to get the plain unscented variety and not the febreeze variety

https://www.amazon.com/Swiffer-Dusters-Surface-Refills-Unscented/dp/B076DJQDLZ?crid=2UGIQYFLI8VMX&keywords=swiffer+duster&qid=1534452176&sprefix=swiffer+du&sr=8-3&ref=mp_s_a_1_3

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks man. I really hate it. Dent in the cones is just not who I am. I treat these things as someone else' work, with respect and to outlast me.

I have to just touch it, gently from the inside and straighten it. Can you see it:
1534453280739.jpeg
It's there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis