Online Tone Generator

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting site to test ur hearing & audio system.
http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I clocked in at a low of 5Hz to a high of 12,104Hz using a pair of Salk SongTower QWT floor-stander speakers & a SVS SB-2000 sub-woofer with the volume set to 75% on the web site, using a Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR in STRAIGHT (l+r+sub) mode, fed from my PC. 62 years old BTW.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Interesting site to test ur hearing & audio system.
http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I clocked in at a low of 5Hz to a high of 12,104Hz using a pair of Salk SongTower QWT floor-stander speakers & a SVS SB-2000 sub-woofer with the volume set to 75% on the web site, using a Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR in STRAIGHT (l+r+sub) mode, fed from my PC. 62 years old BTW.
It is very unlikely you are hearing 5 Hz. You are far more likely hearing harmonics of 5 Hz.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
True but audible to my ears nonetheless.
What @shadyJ is saying is that your hearing noise when a 5 Hz tone is produced is not a product of your ability to hear low tones, but of your sub's harmonic distortion trying to reproduce that tone. What you heard might've been 10 or 15 Hz, the 2nd or 3rd order harmonic of the 5 Hz fundamental. Exciting the air enough to produce a 5 Hz fundamental tone would take an enormous amount of energy and driver surface area, more than a 12" sub can provide. For reference, each out-in cycle of a driver playing a 6 Hz tone happens at the same rate you can say each syllable of "seven Mississippi". Vibrations that slow are more floppy than audible.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
What @shadyJ is saying is that your hearing noise when a 5 Hz tone is produced is not a product of your ability to hear low tones, but of your sub's harmonic distortion trying to reproduce that tone. What you heard might've been 10 or 15 Hz, the 2nd or 3rd order harmonic of the 5 Hz fundamental. Exciting the air enough to produce a 5 Hz fundamental tone would take an enormous amount of energy and driver surface area, more than a 12" sub can provide. For reference, each out-in cycle of a driver playing a 6 Hz tone happens at the same rate you can say each syllable of "seven Mississippi". Vibrations that slow are more floppy than audible.
Agreed on the "floppy" part :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah, its doubtful that what is being heard is any low-order harmonic. It certainly isn't the second, third, and probably not the fourth. We are talking way above those even. For a sub like the SB-2000, they are probably mostly odd-order products from fifth and above.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, its doubtful that what is being heard is any low-order harmonic. It certainly isn't the second, third, and probably not the fourth. We are talking way above those even. For a sub like the SB-2000, they are probably mostly odd-order products from fifth and above.
i love it when u guys talk dirty :D;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis