Onkyo txnr840 vs Denon avrx3600h

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Hello,

Trying to decide which AVR to go with. Had an Onkyo for 8 years before - HDMI board went but Onkyo support was awesome and fixed it outside of the warranty period and no issues since.

I live in Canada and these AVRs go on sale and can be purchased for roughly the same price.

Things I am considering:
- needs to be able to drive 4 ohm speakers (Denon is rated 6ohm but I understand that the Denons generally ok with 4 ohm, Onkyo specifically mentions 4 ohm on website)
- Planning on driving Monolith 365Ts, 365C, and something for side surrounds with dual subs
-eventually looking to do 7.2.4 once I get a new house...
- Bonus to Denon for allowing the front three channels to have a separate amp when all channels are used.
- I think I will just get a minidsp mic and use REW for my EQ, so built in room correction not essential
- Listening levels are not insane - generally used for comfortable-ish volumes except for the new Tool album of course, and I do crank it once a week or so
- I think the 840's ability to do a stereo only mode is cool where it shuts everything off except the power and process needed to drive 2.1 music
-I plan on two subs, and the Denon wins here as the pre outs are discrete
- I'm unsure what each offer, but aptx Bluetooth or some way to stream at high fidelity is important. Onkyo has DTS Play-fi or something... Not sure, never used it...
- I don't know enough about chip architecture and component quality, but I generally "hear" that Denon wins over Onkyo on that front
- I don't know anything about the DACs in each, but all my music is digital, so if someone can let me know what to look for here...

Also, other receiver suggestions in this price range welcome.

Any input is appreciated. I am one of those types that over researches and analysis before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thought you already bought one or am I getting my canucks confused? :)

Well I'm more a Denon fan boy since my Onkyo had the same death from the network/hdmi board issue (but fixed by Onkyo....and not really part of their current rep...and still using it...maybe not fair :) ). I can use my Denons to do the 2.1 thing like that, tho. Pure Direct with sub enabled...doing it right now as a matter o'fact on one of 'em. The XT32/SubEq (the two sub thing, allowing separate delay/level for two subs) is better than Onkyos AccuEQ I think, too, especially with the Audyssey app for control.

The Denon 3600 is compatible with Airplay 2, DLNA and BT (and Heos, too)...4.1 per the manual and mentions also about BT:
This unit supports the following Bluetooth profile.
- A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile):
When a Bluetooth device that supports this standard is connected,
monaural and stereo sound data can be streamed at a high quality.
- AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile):
When a Bluetooth device that supports this standard is connected, the
Bluetooth device can be operated from this unit.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Does anyone have any experience with either of these units or any suggestions of other options. Comparing AVRs is becoming a full time job for me...

It also doesn't help that I need a professional engineering degree in order to decided the differences in DACs, power supplies, etc. Then on top of that, experience to know which stats are BS.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Thought you already bought one or am I getting my canucks confused? :)

Well I'm more a Denon fan boy since my Onkyo had the same death from the network/hdmi board issue (but fixed by Onkyo....and not really part of their current rep...and still using it...maybe not fair :) ). I can use my Denons to do the 2.1 thing like that, tho. Pure Direct with sub enabled...doing it right now as a matter o'fact on one of 'em. The XT32/SubEq (the two sub thing, allowing separate delay/level for two subs) is better than Onkyos AccuEQ I think, too, especially with the Audyssey app for control.

The Denon 3600 is compatible with Airplay 2, DLNA and BT (and Heos, too)...4.1 per the manual and mentions also about BT:
This unit supports the following Bluetooth profile.
- A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile):
When a Bluetooth device that supports this standard is connected,
monaural and stereo sound data can be streamed at a high quality.
- AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile):
When a Bluetooth device that supports this standard is connected, the
Bluetooth device can be operated from this unit.
Yes, I think I am leaning towards the Denon. But honestly I don't know. Am I in the right range here to match my short and long term plans, should I be looking to jump up to something like the AVR4500?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, I think I am leaning towards the Denon. But honestly I don't know. Am I in the right range here to match my short and long term plans, should I be looking to jump up to something like the AVR4500?
I don't think you have all your facts right in your first post. For example, the AVR-X3600H specs also claimed the ability to drive speakers with impedance 4-16 Ohms.

Both units can no doubt drive 4 ohm speakers under the right conditions. A quick way to get a rough idea is to use an online calculator such as this one:

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to add a 3 channel amp for the LCR speakers.

The Onkyo's specs does give me the impression that it has a stronger amp section, probably more comparable to that of the X4500H, though the difference in terms of SPL will be very minimal, may be 1 to 1.5 dB at the most. You know you need double the power to gain 3 dB spl right?

Both have the same AK4458 DAC for the main zones and a lower grade one for zone2/3.

Since you are in Canada, you should know that the Marantz SR7013 was on sale for $1,249.99 less than two month ago. It lasted for about a week, then the price went back up. Obviously I cannot link something that is no longer there, but you can see guys spreading the news at the time over at the redflagdeals.com.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-buy-today-only-marantz-sr7013-9-2-channel-4k-ultra-hd-network-av-receiver-1249-99-2301967/

When the sale was on, it was available at both Bestbuy and Amazon.ca, for the same price.

My point is, if you can wait, and you prefer Denon, then you should wait patiently, because is that kind of sale happened once two months ago, it will likely be back. The Denon AVR-X4500H and Marantz SR7013 are very similar, the Marantz adds 7.1 analog inputs and HDAM, that's about it.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
I don't think you have all your facts right in your first post. For example, the AVR-X3600H specs also claimed the ability to drive speakers with impedance 4-16 Ohms.

Both units can no doubt drive 4 ohm speakers under the right conditions. A quick way to get a rough idea is to use an online calculator such as this one:

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to add a 3 channel amp for the LCR speakers.

The Onkyo's specs does give me the impression that it has a stronger amp section, probably more comparable to that of the X4500H, though the difference in terms of SPL will be very minimal, may be 1 to 1.5 dB at the most. You know you need double the power to gain 3 dB spl right?

Both have the same AK4458 DAC for the main zones and a lower grade one for zone2/3.

Since you are in Canada, you should know that the Marantz SR7013 was on sale for $1,249.99 less than two month ago. It lasted for about a week, then the price went back up. Obviously I cannot link something that is no longer there, but you can see guys spreading the news at the time over at the redflagdeals.com.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-buy-today-only-marantz-sr7013-9-2-channel-4k-ultra-hd-network-av-receiver-1249-99-2301967/

When the sale was on, it was available at both Bestbuy and Amazon.ca, for the same price.

My point is, if you can wait, and you prefer Denon, then you should wait patiently, because is that kind of sale happened once two months ago, it will likely be back. The Denon AVR-X4500H and Marantz SR7013 are very similar, the Marantz adds 7.1 analog inputs and HDAM, that's about it.
Thanks for the info. I'll add that one to the watch list. I do indeed have patience. I find in Canada, you need to in order to find a decent deal on electronics. Not like the days when we were at parity and it was easier...

I think I've got some comfort now on driving my speakers from researching all I can.

One thing I can't seem to get over is the lack of HD Bluetooth codecs on these receiver. My phone can transmit FLAC audio over aptxHD and LDAC. Why can't this technology get integrated into these AVRs?

Also, is waiting for HDMI 2.1 pointless? I don't think I'll ever jump into 8k. Honestly 4k means nothing to me on my 65" TV. Well done 1080p content is the same quality IMO on a screen that size.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think you can go terribly wrong with either....as long as it has the features you want/need. They're more similar than different overall.

J

JRED 1219

Audioholic
Sounds like people are coming to a similar conclusion as me.

What a great opportunity for Gene to do a head to head...

Warrior... Struggling..... To remain.... Consequential.....
Bellow aloud
Bold and proud
Of where I've been
But here I am...!

Oh, and if someone could let me know how TOOL's "Invincible" sounds on either of these that would be great! :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Check out reviews on Amazon, Onkyo unit's are still having HDMI issues. Their RZ800 up to the RZ840. Onkyo has stated they updated their HDMI board, I read a bunch of reviews and some who have their AVRs are having issues. It seems to be random.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Bellow aloud
Bold and proud
Of where I've been
But here I am...!

Oh, and if someone could let me know how TOOL's "Invincible" sounds on either of these that would be great! :)
Probably sounds great on both, but that's more Tool's doing...or your speaker/room interface more than your electronics....

B

Boorock70

Audiophyte
Actually I love the Onkyo design most. Clean-cut, beautiful lines, sophisticated look.
but...
- USB input is on the back.
- Stereo performance looks promising than Yamaha & Denon. (at least they have a reputable stereo background)
- HDMI & "running HOT" issues seems to be not solved yet (an amazon review stated it)
- Their app is the worst. Horribly cheap looking, an amateur designed UI with limited functions. (this category is owned by Yamaha I think.)
I'm considering an update with similar usage scenario too. Although, I'm looking at the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 (better A2070, if I can find. I don't care about the Surround AI sh*t)

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Actually I love the Onkyo design most. Clean-cut, beautiful lines, sophisticated look.
but...
- USB input is on the back.
- Stereo performance looks promising than Yamaha & Denon. (at least they have a reputable stereo background)
- HDMI & "running HOT" issues seems to be not solved yet (an amazon review stated it)
- Their app is the worst. Horribly cheap looking, an amateur designed UI with limited functions. (this category is owned by Yamaha I think.)
I'm considering an update with similar usage scenario too. Although, I'm looking at the Yamaha Aventage RX-A2080 (better A2070, if I can find. I don't care about the Surround AI sh*t)
Iv'e had a chance to directly compare Onkyo's new receivers literally alongside brands like Denon, Marantz, Anthem, Arcam, etc. and IME the Onkyos run noticeably cooler than Denon and Marantz, comparable to Yamaha.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Bellow aloud
Bold and proud
Of where I've been
But here I am...!

You keep referencing TOOL!

You wanna go do karate in the garage?

*Edit: I posted a thread right before the album came out if you wanna give it a look.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm listening to Fear Inoculum right now. I've had it looping all morning.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis