Onkyo TX-SR805 No display on LED

Mooney

Mooney

Enthusiast
i've had my amp for a few months with no problems, and now all of a sudden the led display is always off. i've tried pressing pretty much ever button including dimmer, but nothing. if i turn the volume up or down on the remote, i see a little red LED flash, but the display doesn't come on.

anyone have any ideas??

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
You are probably in some Direct mode. It turns off things that are unnecessary to reduce possible interference within the device. Look through your manual for something like this.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Sounds like 'pure direct' mode to me too. It turns off all video processing including the display.

Mooney

Mooney

Enthusiast
the mode you guys are referring to is 'pure audio'. i usually do run in this mode which turns off the display, but when you press buttons on the remote like change volume the display will come on for a few seconds displaying your current volume. i can't get the display to come on regardless of mode, yet all the functionality of the reciever seems to work including switching in and out of 'pure audio mode' (theres a blue indicator light that comes on when in that mode)

i tried googling and came across only two people with this problem and they seemed to think they had defective units. :( i was hoping there was some easy fix. any other ideas, folks? i bought my unit off ebay like six months ago for really cheap, knowing that i was making a bit of a gamble. :(

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Is it possible you've dimmed the display? Behind the flip down door is the dimmer button. Have you tried that?

Mooney

Mooney

Enthusiast
Is it possible you've dimmed the display? Behind the flip down door is the dimmer button. Have you tried that?
yeah, i have. the blue light around the volume nob changes intensity, but still nothing on the LED display.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Don't know if you want to go through the hassle, but you could try resetting the receiver to its factory defaults. Pg 113

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Don't know if you want to go through the hassle, but you could try resetting the receiver to its factory defaults. Pg 113
Not much to lose at this point. It sounds like that thing is hosed.
I can't think of another reason the display would be out like that.

Mooney, let us know what you find.
Good luck.

M

muzz20

Audiophyte
I have the same issue with my 6 month old SR805!

It is under guarantee so have to send it back I guess which could cost alot for shipping.

Did you ever get yours fixed?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have the same issue with my 6 month old SR805!

It is under guarantee so have to send it back I guess which could cost alot for shipping.

Did you ever get yours fixed?
So obviously those units have bad LED display chips or driver circuitry.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Alot of owners are having this problem with the LED and in some cases (not all mind you) resetting the reciever will fix the issue, just be warned when restting the reciever, you will have to run Audyssey again to set your speakers.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
i've had my amp for a few months with no problems, and now all of a sudden the led display is always off. i've tried pressing pretty much ever button including dimmer, but nothing. if i turn the volume up or down on the remote, i see a little red LED flash, but the display doesn't come on.

anyone have any ideas??
Yes. It is a simple issue; you need to change a couple resistors.
If you read page 578 and 579, it is quite simple to fix yourself, with very clear pictures starting at
post #17340 ("805 Display fix" from cambrian).

Here's the link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857502&highlight=resistor&page=578

Last edited:
sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
It looks like I'm now having this problem with my 3 1/2 year old Onkyo TX-SR805 as well. I'm worried about resetting it, because if I do and the display doesn't work them I am SOL. I don't think I could set it up again without a display.

Anyone know if it is better to get this fixed or just buy a new receiver?

Thank you in advance.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
This has been a on going problem with the 805. There is a 700 plus page thread on Audio Karma about this and many other 805 heat related HDMI problems.ask me how I know? The resistor has gone bad for the front end display and on this thread there is pic's and directions for replacing the resistors if you have some soldering skills. Sorry to hit you with the bad news but resetting the processor will not fix this. My 805 did this when it was in warranty.....freight and 6 weeks later it came back fixed. A few months after my warranty wet it out my 805 went up in smoke from burned out HDMI parts. Onkyo said it was too expensive to repair.......:mad: again freight and weeks waiting for a answer. Multi phone calls and emails to Customer Service was Very flustrating. Some 805 are still working great, but mine and Many others all suffered these two design flaws. Any local Shop can do this and then I advise you purchase a cooling fan and make sure you have at least 6" of venting space about the 805 so you do not have heat issues too. These will pop up after 2 to 3 years of service. I really liked the 805but the great amps (heat) and poor cooling design really hurt this AVR from a long service life.

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
From what you say, it sounds like it might not be worth trying to get it fixed. My receiver is about 3 1/2 years old. About 2 years ago the on screen programming stopped working. Since it wasn't that great to begin with, I didn't bother trying to get it fixed. Now I have this problem and one of my HDMI ports also has quit working.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
From what you say, it sounds like it might not be worth trying to get it fixed. My receiver is about 3 1/2 years old. About 2 years ago the on screen programming stopped working. Since it wasn't that great to begin with, I didn't bother trying to get it fixed. Now I have this problem and one of my HDMI ports also has quit working.
You really only know if gear is any good when it is a few years old. Obviously those receivers are in the junk category. So if you fix it you will still have junk. Time to deep six that unit.

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
That is exactly what I was thinking. Any advice on what would be a comparable unit? I'm not opposed to going with Onkyo again, if they generally last better. 3 1/2 years is terrible. My old Kenwood was still going strong after 14 years.

Thanks for the insight.

You really only know if gear is any good when it is a few years old. Obviously those receivers are in the junk category. So if you fix it you will still have junk. Time to deep six that unit.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Obviously those receivers are in the junk category.
Or perhaps in the "Hey, honey, seeee...we need a new receiver" upgrade category. Onkyo - built by men for men. :D

J/K, of course. I'd much rather upgrade because I want to, not because my system broke and I have to.

Any advice on what would be a comparable unit?
Are there any features in particular that you want to keep from that unit? There are a number of potentially great fits on the market.

sbradfor

sbradfor

Enthusiast
Well, I'm not sure. I'm still shell shocked from having to scramble to fix or replace this. Here is what I have hooked up if that is of any help:

Panasonic TH-58PZ700U 58" 1080P plasma TV via HDMI
Panasonic Blu Ray Player via HDMI (which I hope to replace with an Oppo)
Oppo DVD player via HDMI
PS3 via HDMI
Onkyo CD changer via ?? (I can't remember. I think it is optical).
AV123 MFW-15 Powered Sub Woofer

Are there any features in particular that you want to keep from that unit? There are a number of potentially great fits on the market.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis