Onkyo TX-SR805 goes BANG at 17 minute point of "Master and Commander"

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
This first happened many years ago and when I posted here about it some kind soul suggested a change in the setup of the receiver. I should have kept a record of that setting. That change worked, but in the mean time I have done some reconfiguring of the system and the other night "Master and Commander" went BANG again. I hadn't watched it in quite a few years. Great movie, by the way. Does anyone know what the fix is? Thank you!

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I think I'm getting old. I found the earlier thread about this, from 2016. So I now know what to do. Search is my friend!

Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m curious what the bang was. In my mind it was the clack of a subwoofer bottoming out. Master and commander(i assume you mean chapter 4)has content down to about 4hz if memory serves. Depending on what the subwoofer has for safeguards it is easy to overdrive, especially if you run the sub/s hot.
Yes, great movie.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
Hi William,

There was plenty of high frequency "bang" coming from the front speakers. And the highs are relatively easy to locate in space. So I doubt that it was just the subwoofers. Seating is about one third up from the rear wall. One sub is diagonally forward on the right, and the other sub is diagonally rearward on the left. I don't run the volume at reference levels. My tinnitus is bad enough as it is. ;-)

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
Yes. In 2016 I made changes that fixed the problem. But since then I have made some other changes, and had forgotten about the "bang" issue. So I don't remember if I did the multi-channel solution or the PCM out from the player solution suggested by another forum member. But I have the weekend to try both. Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’d be curious to know what your equipment is. The Onkyo 805 was a great AVR with almost endless power. If the mains are set to large, and/or lfe+mains that might cause them some stress. I will have to rewatch that’s section as I’ve never noticed any banging that wasn’t in the soundtrack.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
I finally changed the output of the Oppo Blu-Ray player to PCM and that fixed the problem. I have a 7.1 surround sound system. Sound quality seems to be the same. Does anyone know of any possible problems from outputting PCM?

The Martin Logan main speakers are their now discontinued "Vista" model, bought new in 2008. They are rated as having output down to 40hz if I remember correctly. But I have the Onkyo receiver set to "small" for the mains, so they get little or no input below 80hz. I spent quite a bit of time getting the two SVS subwoofers to work well at the seating position. So I'm quite pleased with the audio quality for both movies and music.

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
To be clear, the change I made was to the output of the Blu-Ray player, no change was made to the Onkyo receiver. And the wiring between the two remains as HDMI.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis