AMP Recommendation for Buttkicker LFEs

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Hi all,
I recently ordered a pair of Buttkicker LFEs, wireless module, and the BKA-1000P amp to run them both in series. I've been very impressed with the LFEs and the wireless module works exactly as intended. I am not however, all that thrilled with the amp. The first unit I got failed within the first week, and was replaced (customer service was good). I noticed the second one running very hot to the touch, so I placed a couple $5 Amazon USB fans next to it and it no longer gets all that hot. Despite this, I occasionally notice a burning type smell coming from the amp.

Basically, the amp runs the kickers well, but it feels extremely cheap, and I don't trust it to last.

What would you guys recommend I look at to replace it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look at pro amps; I use Crown XLS amps with a different brand tactile transducer (Clark) as well as for my subs.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,
I recently ordered a pair of Buttkicker LFEs, wireless module, and the BKA-1000P amp to run them both in series. I've been very impressed with the LFEs and the wireless module works exactly as intended. I am not however, all that thrilled with the amp. The first unit I got failed within the first week, and was replaced (customer service was good). I noticed the second one running very hot to the touch, so I placed a couple $5 Amazon USB fans next to it and it no longer gets all that hot. Despite this, I occasionally notice a burning type smell coming from the amp.

Basically, the amp runs the kickers well, but it feels extremely cheap, and I don't trust it to last.

What would you guys recommend I look at to replace it?
Being a 'digital amp', it's not going to be as heavy as ClassAB, etc. The specs show that the LFE is a 4 Ohm transducer, the Concert is 2 Ohms- why didn't you get the Concert, so you could operate the amp with a 4 Ohm load and develop more power than the 8 Ohms allows?

BTW- the amp is spec'd with a 2 Ohm load.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Being a 'digital amp', it's not going to be as heavy as ClassAB, etc. The specs show that the LFE is a 4 Ohm transducer, the Concert is 2 Ohms- why didn't you get the Concert, so you could operate the amp with a 4 Ohm load and develop more power than the 8 Ohms allows?

BTW- the amp is spec'd with a 2 Ohm load.
I searched around on forums, watched some reviews and spoke with a couple guys at Buttkicker. This was the setup that most recommended for my application, so I pulled the trigger.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I searched around on forums, watched some reviews and spoke with a couple guys at Buttkicker. This was the setup that most recommended for my application, so I pulled the trigger.
OK, since these weren't included in your original post:

How loudly do you use your system?

Do you find that the power and number of transducers aren't 'enough'?

How are they fastened to your seating?

How long are the speaker wires between the transducers & amp and what gauge?

Have you measured the line voltage at the system when it's in normal operation? Low Voltage can make equipment run hot.

If the amp runs hot without fans, does it have enough air space around it? Is it on a shelf and if so, does the shelf have slots to allow air flow?

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I agree with Lovinthehd. Pro amps are a slick ticket for something like this. I bought a used Yamaha PX10 that gives me plenty of power and flexibility to run 2 channels of 3 kickers wired in series (12 ohms/channel).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis