Onkyo TX-SR805 BAD Problems

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
How can I find out if my Yamaha RX-V1900 HD AVR ($1,399.00) retail is loaded up with crossover distortion??
Can you hear it? Do you hear anything unmusical or "disconnected"? If not, this distortion is so low its negligable and I would NOT worry about it.
I have the RX-V1800 which has teh same amplifiers as your 1900 driving an entire suite of PSB Image series speakers with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. The speakers dip to to 4 ohms but my receveir handles them very well. I run the towers full range during two channel listening and I listen to a wide variety of music from classical to hard rock. Everything sounds great to me with no distortion artifacts at all. I'm on the 4th year of my receiver and it never gets hot. Don't worry about the crossover distortion.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
Can you hear it? Do you hear anything unmusical or "disconnected"? If not, this distortion is so low its negligable and I would NOT worry about it.
I have the RX-V1800 which has teh same amplifiers as your 1900 driving an entire suite of PSB Image series speakers with a nominal impedance of 6 ohms. The speakers dip to to 4 ohms but my receveir handles them very well. I run the towers full range during two channel listening and I listen to a wide variety of music from classical to hard rock. Everything sounds great to me with no distortion artifacts at all. I'm on the 4th year of my receiver and it never gets hot. Don't worry about the crossover distortion.
I read your post two times and thought about it a second...... No "I" don't hear any distortion of any kind( I can hear) at any volume. I was told the 1900 had the 3900 amps and HDMI section but mine does not go online. I also read the 1900 is warmed over 1800 and same for you and 3800. When I went to Yamaha web site and looked up my 1900 and NO Firmware updates :D no mention of what firmware I do have.:) I looked for weeks before I purchased another HD AVR and used the 2400 7.1 no HDMI or HD audio decoders or it will still be in den. My friend has 2065 that was smammed a little as it has same 130X7 HD etc and it's 18 pounds lighter then the 1900??? In my very small room Very Happy with the 1900 and the 805 when it worked, it was great. Add some fans and any AVR used 14 hours a day will last longer....retired and trust me, the fans blowing on 1900 cools it like it's not turned on. I must admit 3 years of my use is like 10 years or more for Man with job..:eek:

I wonder if there is distoration that I don't hear that could cause a problem years later?? The scope "sees" a signal, does it hear it???I never used a scope. .... I lieded, used a scope on a V-8 327 Corvette looking at spark plugs fire and looking and how high the graphs went to read scale, hunting a stumble in the engine tune.. Old Sun oquipment.

Louis

M

moss

Audiophyte
hi

I have a onkyo tx-sr805 , the light in the front that shows the mode is not working at all everything else is. please help

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
hi

I have a onkyo tx-sr805 , the light in the front that shows the mode is not working at all everything else is. please help
This is a common problem with the 805. There are two( I think) resistors that have gone bad that work the display lights. Mine did the same thing.and I had to send it in for warranty repairs. There is a TX-SR 805 thread that has 700 pages from 2007 to now. One member has pic's on a "how to" for repairing this with parts from Radio Shack. If you send it in you are looking at about $150.00 in labor and parts, any good tech can do this....most is labor... sorry, been there. The next thing to go bad will be the HDMI board or other HDMI parts will fail after several years of hard use...don't stack on it and install a fan to blow across the 805.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is a common problem with the 805. There are two( I think) resistors that have gone bad that work the display lights. Mine did the same thing.and I had to send it in for warranty repairs. There is a TX-SR 805 thread that has 700 pages from 2007 to now. One member has pic's on a "how to" for repairing this with parts from Radio Shack. If you send it in you are looking at about $150.00 in labor and parts, any good tech can do this....most is labor... sorry, been there. The next thing to go bad will be the HDMI board or other HDMI parts will fail after several years of hard use...don't stack on it and install a fan to blow across the 805.
This just adds to the Onkyo rap sheet doesn't it? We have had this problem posted about before.

Now this is not bad luck, obviously the Onkyo engineers did not account for the current draw of the display properly and under rated the dropper resistors. Using a voltage regulator would have been ideal, but they cost more than a couple of very cheap resistors.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I read your post two times and thought about it a second...... No "I" don't hear any distortion of any kind( I can hear) at any volume. I was told the 1900 had the 3900 amps and HDMI section but mine does not go online. I also read the 1900 is warmed over 1800 and same for you and 3800. When I went to Yamaha web site and looked up my 1900 and NO Firmware updates :D no mention of what firmware I do have.:) I looked for weeks before I purchased another HD AVR and used the 2400 7.1 no HDMI or HD audio decoders or it will still be in den. My friend has 2065 that was smammed a little as it has same 130X7 HD etc and it's 18 pounds lighter then the 1900??? In my very small room Very Happy with the 1900 and the 805 when it worked, it was great. Add some fans and any AVR used 14 hours a day will last longer....retired and trust me, the fans blowing on 1900 cools it like it's not turned on. I must admit 3 years of my use is like 10 years or more for Man with job..:eek:

I wonder if there is distoration that I don't hear that could cause a problem years later?? The scope "sees" a signal, does it hear it???I never used a scope. .... I lieded, used a scope on a V-8 327 Corvette looking at spark plugs fire and looking and how high the graphs went to read scale, hunting a stumble in the engine tune.. Old Sun oquipment.

Louis
Crossover distortion won't cause any problems down the road. Like I said, if you get drawn into the sound and listen for hours on end (if given time too), then cross over distortion even though it may be physically manifesting itself is too low for human perception. If you can't hear or discern it, than it don't worry about it.

I have a recording on vinyl of Tchiakovsky 1812 overture on a London label. One of the double bass in that recording has a vibration problem as I heard it buzz through out the recording. I'm sure cross over distortion would have masked that detail but it didn't as it was very easy for me to hear it. Just in case your wonder if it was my speakers, I frequently attend orchestras and on a few occasions, I heard the same vibrating cabinet of a double bass being played.

LAB3

LAB3

Senior Audioholic
hi

I just noticed..... a new member............. Welcome.... there is a lot of members here with "Skills" that will post up on most questions. Start a new thread about how to replace the resistors but do a "Search" first...maybe someone has does this.
Louis

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis