Onkyo TX-SR702 Static Hum from all speakers

S

sealdogfish

Audiophyte
Hi, I have an Onkyo TX-SR702 with an intermitent hum from all speakers, not really loud but noticable at average listening volumes. Also when you tap the Amplifier or the desk it is on or even the floor sometimes it will emitt a loud static sound which disipates within a second. This happens with no inputs plugged in. Only front two speakers plugged in or any other speakers. Have Tried different speakers/power outlets etc with no success. Any Ideas? Thanks.

L

Livin

Audioholic Intern
could be many things...
bad ground inside the unit
noisy power
bad ground in your house
speaker wire cross talk

take it to someone else house that has no issues, and see if it happens there.

S

sealdogfish

Audiophyte

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have tried 4 different houses, many different speakers, only plugging in one speaker/different outputs.
If the noise comes and Im sitting on the carpet I can put my hand on the amp and the noise will dissipate, or I can tap the amp and It might go away for a while.
The amp has only two pins on the power plug, no ground. Should I ground the amp anyway? there is a ground screw on the back of the amp.
Also after doing the audo speaker setup the noise from all speaker will be extremely distorted until I change a few settings or wait a while or something.
the volume goes from 0 to 99, sometimes it will play at decent volume when its on 10 - 20, other times it will need to be on 60 - 80 to get the same volume... any Ideas?

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
Could be anything from a loose connector to a cracked circuit board. Take the unit to a good service center, it needs bench time.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis