Onkyo Tx-NR809 no sound

R

rburke789

Audiophyte
I recently hooked up a Onkyo TX-NR809 that i inherited when my brother in law passed away. Without getting into too much detail I swapped it out for a denon that I intend to relocate to a different area of the house, so all speakers are in place. I connected all the speakers and sub woofer, used RCA cable to go from the TV to the TV input on the receiver - tested it and it worked fine. Then I started playing with zones and now I cant get any sound - i dont know if i caused it by messing with setup or it coincidentally stopped working. Before I disconnect and bring it in for repairs, I am looking for help with diagnosis or maybe some advice on how it is set up. The owners manual for this receiver is very long and complex. I just want to run my TV through the receiver for movies and music. Thanks in advance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you played with zones, open the front panel and press the OFF button next to the ZONE 2 and 3 buttons after pressing each zone to turn them off and see if sound returns to main zone.

R

rburke789

Audiophyte
Thank you for the reply. It looks like all zones are off, I have been playing with it for a few hours. I press zone 2 and zone 3 and it says off. On the display it says "TV/CD All Ch Stereo" - i am wondering if there is another menu option buried somewhere that is not properly set.

I have hooked up to another TV to rule out an issue with the TV. Going to try a few more options here but I suppose I am going to need to take this in for service. sadly.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Check your input assignments in the setup menu and see if anything was changed there. Did you use analog connections on both TV sets?

R

rburke789

Audiophyte
Check your input assignments in the setup menu and see if anything was changed there. Did you use analog connections on both TV sets?

yep - analog on both. I ended up putting the denon back in this spot so I can debug this in an area thats a lot easier to work on. I will take a look at the input assignments. Thank you very much

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it worked at one point I'd say something in settings is still off. Was main zone set to on when you got no sound? If so then I'd look at input assignment and other possibilities. RTFM sometimes will yield answers, tho :)

R

rburke789

Audiophyte
If it worked at one point I'd say something in settings is still off. Was main zone set to on when you got no sound? If so then I'd look at input assignment and other possibilities. RTFM sometimes will yield answers, tho :)
that manual is a damn novel of complexity!! But yeah I have been reading it, so far i got nothing :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another thing you might try is a factory/microprocessor reset...often a good first step for a used unit, too....instructions should be in the #@%&> manual ;)

R

rburke789

Audiophyte
Another thing you might try is a factory/microprocessor reset...often a good first step for a used unit, too....instructions should be in the #@%&> manual ;)
yep - tried that as well! I think i just found that with the google.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It shouldn't matter if you are using analog inputs, but go into the digital input assignments and turn off optical 2 for TV/CD, it's the default. You just want dashes to show in the digital assignment. Then, check HDMI assignments for TV/CD. Same thing, should be dashes. Make sure TV Audio Out setting is OFF and RIHD(HDMI-CEC) and ARC are also OFF. If you haven't already, try another analog input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yep - tried that as well! I think i just found that with the google.
If it continues to not work at all after a reset something's wrong other than settings I'd think. However, there is more than one reset procedure depending on model, hopefully you got the right one for your model. Hopefully your unit hasn't finally succumbed to the hdmi/network board issues Onkyo avrs had at that time (from 2009-12).

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If it continues to not work at all after a reset something's wrong other than settings I'd think. However, there is more than one reset procedure depending on model, hopefully you got the right one for your model. Hopefully your unit hasn't finally succumbed to the hdmi/network board issues Onkyo avrs had at that time (from 2009-12).
I had to get my 809 hdmi board swapped out for this issue. It happened out of nowhere since the unit was working fine before I moved, not at all after.

After getting it fixed, it works perfectly and has since. Maybe they'll still fix them for free?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That extended warranty program expired a couple years ago...but maybe if you ask nicely?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Plug in a bluray player with any disc and try using the headphones out to see if that works. I had a 809 and never had an issue but I kept fans on top and it was happy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis