Onkyo TX-NR616 vs Sony STR-DN1030

C

Chip_127

Audiophyte
Hey guys, after weeks of reading reviews and specs on numerous AV receivers I think I have it narrowed down to either the Onkyo TX-NR616 or the Sony STR-DN1030.
I currently have a pair of Cerwin Vega D-3s that I re-foamed the subs on. This will be used 75% music / 25% movies. I do plan on purchasing a center and surround speakers later this year.
Can you give me your opinion on which would be the better receiver?
Thanks in advance.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Honestly, if I were you, I would try to find an equivalent receiver from either Denon, or Yamaha. Onkyo's and Sony's are not known for their reliability. Are there any features out of those two that you need? How many HDMI ins are you going to use, for example?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have not heard any negative concerning Sony reliability.

Sony 1030: 2Ch 8/4 ohms: 134.7/167.7 watts and 5Ch 8 ohms: 90.4 Watts.

So between the Onkyo and Sony, I would get Sony.

C

Chip_127

Audiophyte
Honestly I have a pretty simple setup. I have a Direct TV box and a DVD player which will soon be replaced with a blue ray player. Other than that my only other concern is being able to plug in my MP3 player via USB port.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Hey guys, after weeks of reading reviews and specs on numerous AV receivers I think I have it narrowed down to either the Onkyo TX-NR616 or the Sony STR-DN1030.
I currently have a pair of Cerwin Vega D-3s that I re-foamed the subs on. This will be used 75% music / 25% movies. I do plan on purchasing a center and surround speakers later this year.
Can you give me your opinion on which would be the better receiver?
Thanks in advance.
I'd get the Onkyo. I had a 616 for a few days. I couldn't get Audyssey to work properly with my setup. However, you should be ok.

Honestly, I liked the sound of that TX-NR616 better than I do my Yamaha A720.

I've never heard a Sony that impressed me.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I had the Onkyo 707 and kept the OHM to 4 instead of 6 because of the heat(as most receivers) and never had a problem at all(I think that's why alot of the 707 had issues). I would not hesitate to get another Onkyo.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis