Onkyo TX-DS575 losing settings

E

EnderW

Audiophyte
Hi,

I guess this would be a very long shot, but I have looked at a lot of places for help and none could really provide any.

My problem is that I have a Onkyo TX-DS575 receiver which cannot store it's settings anymore. Whenever I cut the power and then plug it in again, I have to adjust all settings which can be a real pain. It used to be able to store the settings for weeks. I assume there is a battery or a capacitator which is dead, but I cannot find anywhere which has such info. The amp is 3-5 year old. So if anyone knows anything about where that battery or capacitator would be located on the PCB's and what kind it is, it would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be great too, but I guess that would be asking too much :)

Thanks in advance

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
When you say you cut the power, do you mean completely? If you are unplugging your receiver for extended periods, then it is losing its memory settings. Not sure if it uses a battery to store.

E

EnderW

Audiophyte
Polkfan said:
When you say you cut the power, do you mean completely? If you are unplugging your receiver for extended periods, then it is losing its memory settings. Not sure if it uses a battery to store.
Yes, I mean unplugging it completely. It used to store it's settings unplugged for at least over a week, perhaps more (never tried), but now it can't even store them a day. What I would like to know is where in the receiver the battery/capacitator is located and what sort it is.

J

JPW

Junior Audioholic
Have you tried resetting the receiver? Normally on Onkyo gear you press and hold both video 1 and the power buttone after the unit is on.

P

Polkfan

Audioholic
EnderW said:
Yes, I mean unplugging it completely. It used to store it's settings unplugged for at least over a week, perhaps more (never tried), but now it can't even store them a day. What I would like to know is where in the receiver the battery/capacitator is located and what sort it is.

Why not just leave it plugged in?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
EnderW said:

Have you called Onkyo tech support?

E

EnderW

Audiophyte
Polkfan:

Danger of lightning ruining all of my equipment at nights etc.

mtrycrafts:

I mailed them, but they just asked me to go to an official repair shop. I then contacted an official repair shop but they wouldn't give out such info and I would have to buy a $50 repair book. I guess that is an option, but I thought it was rather expensive.

What I haven't thought of yet though is mailing all of the available shops worldwide...perhaps I can get the info out of one of them ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
EnderW said:
Polkfan:

Danger of lightning ruining all of my equipment at nights etc.

mtrycrafts:

I mailed them, but they just asked me to go to an official repair shop. I then contacted an official repair shop but they wouldn't give out such info and I would have to buy a $50 repair book. I guess that is an option, but I thought it was rather expensive.

What I haven't thought of yet though is mailing all of the available shops worldwide...perhaps I can get the info out of one of them ;)
Have you tried calling them? They used to have a tech section that helped consumers.

You may also want to get a surge protector?

E

EnderW

Audiophyte
Sure, I should get a surge protector, but the problem wouldn't really be fixed though. :)

Thanks for all your answers so far by the way.

KTT

Audiophyte
JPW said:
Have you tried resetting the receiver? Normally on Onkyo gear you press and hold both video 1 and the power buttone after the unit is on.
you must press and hold video-1 and then speakers-A buttone

Last edited by a moderator:
crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I know you are looking for the location of a battery or capacitor.

Although I can't help you with the location. I CAN however give you this little piece of info. You WILL be looking for a battery of some sort, and not a capacitor. Your ONKYO (as all other AVRs do) will have a battery that stores the settings. they are not designed to be used so frequently as it sounds you used it (unplugging often), and it's now toast. It will likely be a button battery, similar to one used in a calculator.

The only other suggestion I have for you is to leave it plugged in for a long period of time (weeks) in hopes that a long charge will restore it, but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis