Onkyo sucks nowadays?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Bought a TX NR-656 less than a year ago, today, the surround left channel blew out. Ever since purchasing it, up to this point, I have been rather unimpressed by it’s performance. The amplifier section seemed pretty decent, but everything else left me feeling like they’d cheaped out.

First off, Accueq is still a dumpster fire, failing to even set trim and distances properly, let alone the horrific mangling of frequency response it does. Unlike every other brand that seems to have solved this issue soon after DTS: X was released, it still doesn’t allow crossmixing between Dolby and DTS upmixers. The streaming apps are clunky and frequently fail to respond. Atmos flag recognition often is buggy when streaming Vudu titles when hdmi CEC is enabled, and frequently requires restarting. Last but not least, many have reported issues with the subwoofer volume wildly varying with different sources, and while I can’t be 100% positive, there’s been a few instances it sounded off to me as well.

Reading through different discussions on avsforum and reddit, lots of people have complained of reliability and quality control issues with onkyo ever since the hdmi board problems from 2009-2012 models, which took them years to address, with even the newer receivers often failing soon after warranty expiration.

I have decided to replace the receiver with a Denon x1300w and resell the onkyo once it’s repaired for fear of longevity problems.

Does anybody else have any concerns with onkyos reliability or feel they’re not up to par with other brands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
In our AV install biz, we have had good luck with Onkyo AVRs.

IMHO..
The major issue with Onkyo AVRs was that @ the factory they would set the output stage bias high to minimize x-over distortion which caused the amplifiers to run hot as the devices are always partially ON....
Nice idea but in today's HT world too many consumers stuff their AVR into a small, cramped space without adequate free-air ventilation, it overheats and then fails. Out of 78 Onkyo/Integra installs we only had 1 failure, that was a power supply that went out... No HDMI boards or output stage failures but then again since we guarantee our installs for 5 years we made sure the units had adequate free-air clearance...

Just my $0.02... ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Don't know about your model but my 939 at 19 years is still putting out powerful sounds as an amp section and my 705 @ 19 is processing the audio just fine, amp not used just wasting energy idling. :D

ps, I think the 705 was a refurb to boot.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
In my opinion all of the top big box manufacturers suffer from all sorts of issues, especially while digging through forums. More people post about issues and how to fix them rather then "hey my equipment is good". I do think the hdmi issues hurt them big time but from what I've heard the were more than willing to resolve those issues, even on receivers bought second-hand.
I'm a big time Integra fan these days and the backlash from onkyo issues doesn't make me worried, I've owned several units and still do, no real issues from any of them

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Onkyos have always been a bit hit or miss. In the old days (5+ years ago) they had great power and features for a low price at the expense of some reliability issues. For example while my TX-NR906 has been rock solid for the 7-8 years that I've owned it, the HDMI section of my TX-NR809 failed two years ago - well outside of the warranty. Fortunately Onkyo fixed it anyway, on their dime including shipping both ways (silent recall?), and extended the warranty through 2018. My 606 and 707 died months apart this year after almost a decade of use. I love my 909 and 809 but I'll probably go with a Denon next time.

Edit: And let's not forget the whole mess, first acknowledged and then denied, of Onkyo shipping some of their X09 series receivers with the wrong setup mic. I'm one of these that received the wrong mic and it about drove me crazy trying to figure out why my system sounded so bad. A new setup mic solved the problem.

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
And let's not forget the whole mess, first acknowledged and then denied, of Onkyo shipping some of their X09 series receivers with the wrong setup mic. I'm one of these that received the wrong mic and it about drove me crazy trying to figure out why my system sounded so bad. A new setup mic solved the problem.
Note that other brands received the defective out-of-spec Audyssey microphones including Marantz, Denon, Integra as well...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
In my opinion all of the top big box manufacturers suffer from all sorts of issues, especially while digging through forums. More people post about issues and how to fix them rather then "hey my equipment is good".
Are you saying people get on to forums things complain rather than sing hymns of praise?
I am shocked by this. Absolutely shocked. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it has a lot to do with how users use/abuse their AVRs. People don't do that to their integrated and separates, but they care much less about their AVRs especially if they didn't pay much for them. That's just my take on this, and even my >10 years old ones are still in top shape.:D

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I
Just have to point it out lol. I see a lot of people going to forums for reviews on products and its not always the best choice. Legit reviews are only good with a working product. Complaints and common issues seem to get more attention from potential buyers. Don't get me wrong, negative feed back is good for consumers, it helps in choosing products, but I see many people pushed away from good products bc they only see the bad side of things. Defective products will always be out there, but how many were made vs how many are still good is never perceived in a setting where issues are brought up more frequently.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've only had one receiver (kenwood I bought at 16) have any sort of issues other than my Onkyo 809 HDMI board. Onkyo fixed that and it's still in use.

My kenwood still works fine (18 years old) with the exception of the center channel. It is currently running two of my Atmos speakers in my theater. Works great until I get a 2ch amp with a 12v trigger. I'm in no hurry.

When I look at user reviews or complaints about anything I want to see how many complaints there are about a specific part. IE if I want to go to a restaurant and there are 1000 good reviews and one guy that got a hair in his food 4 years ago, I'm gonna assume it's safe. If I go to buy a receiver that has tons of HDMI issues, I'm going to look elsewhere.

I won't get an Onkyo again due to the HDMI issues and the fact that it no longer has Audyssey.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've have an Onkyo HT-RC370 I got 6 years ago; earlier this year it developed the hdmi/network board issue and I had it repaired under the extended warranty (which was a quick and painless experience and it's working great in daily use in my bedroom). My general take on reliability is I've seen few complaints about Onkyo since they stepped up and resolved the hdmi/board issues.

Even if I weren't a little leary of their past issues, their dropping Audyssey just takes 'em off my radar. Maybe if they had done something better than AccuEQ....maybe someday they/Pioneer can get a Dirac setup incorporated....

bears_t2

bears_t2

Junior Audioholic
As to Onkyos being good these days I cant say... I can say my 605 is still running GREAT!! My 818 though.... in 2 times the last 4 years for repairs... 1st time on my dime... the 2nd time thru warranty.. although I think the 1st time should have been too. I do have to say at least they did it at no cost this time. I wont be going back to Onkyo for the 3rd time. Great unit but bad parts will make me go elsewhere. If I get 3 years out of this repair Ill go Marantz/ Denon or go uptown to Anthem. Or maybe just go preamp and amp.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
When AVR shopping, I returned a defective refurb NR818 for a refurb X4000 thinking Denon reliability would be higher. Since then, I have had a HDMI board failure and sub-out failure. I've paid in repairs half the cost of this X4000's purchase price.

In contrast, a bottom of barrel refurb Yamaha has been working flawlessly for 5 years now. My next AVR will most likely be a Yamaha.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I had an Onkyo 707 that worked fine, but then tried a couple of RZ710s recently and both had firmware that went corrupt; so hit or miss in my experience. If reliability is your priority, Yamaha is where you want to look.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I had an Onkyo 707 that worked fine, but then tried a couple of RZ710s recently and both had firmware that went corrupt; so hit or miss in my experience. If reliability is your priority, Yamaha is where you want to look.
I had a 707 too, it lasted 3 or 4 years about. AVR's should really last longer. My Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX that I use for my desktop PC system has been going strong from 2002, even after suffering a nasty drop, so I went back to Pioneer for my home theater, an SC-55 that has had no problems. It runs cooler than the Onkyo as well. I don't really like MCACC, so I get the Pioneers for the reliability, but now that Onkyo owns the Pioneer AVR division, I will have to look for another brand for my next AVR.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I had a 707 too, it lasted 3 or 4 years about. AVR's should really last longer. My Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX that I use for my desktop PC system has been going strong from 2002, even after suffering a nasty drop, so I went back to Pioneer for my home theater, an SC-55 that has had no problems. It runs cooler than the Onkyo as well. I don't really like MCACC, so I get the Pioneers for the reliability, but now that Onkyo owns the Pioneer AVR division, I will have to look for another brand for my next AVR.
Why don't you like MCACC? I find MCACC more tweakable than Audessey.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why don't you like MCACC? I find MCACC more tweakable than Audessey.
I don't like MCACC because their target curve has never sounded as good as just using no EQ at all. Also it does not EQ below 63 Hz, which is a region where equalization does the most good.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My "I needed it because my only receiver died" Pioneer VSX-521K has been going strong since the day I got it. Still running my living room setup. I always loved Pioneer, but after Audyssey there really is no going back for me. My Onkyo 809 is still great after the HDMI board was replaced. Working well in my office. I'll use it till it dies. Same with my new Denon 4300h. Never owned Denon, but I've got high hopes.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I don't like MCACC because their target curve has never sounded as good as just using no EQ at all. Also it does not EQ below 63 Hz, which is a region where equalization does the most good.
OK. 63 HZ is low frequencies. I think MCACC Pro eq down to 30 Hz.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
My "I needed it because my only receiver died" Pioneer VSX-521K has been going strong since the day I got it. Still running my living room setup. I always loved Pioneer, but after Audyssey there really is no going back for me. My Onkyo 809 is still great after the HDMI board was replaced. Working well in my office. I'll use it till it dies. Same with my new Denon 4300h. Never owned Denon, but I've got high hopes.
The only thing about Audyssey is that it's not that tweak-able.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis