Onkyo / Integra / Pioneer - Flagship 2022/2023 models finally starting to arrive!

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Integra has just announced the DRX 8.4

1) DAC's are ES9026Pro
2) Power amps are NOT Class D, but traditional Onkyo/Integra Class AB - rated 150W RMS into 2ch for 8ohm

This sounds like the return of the traditional Onkyo/Integra "beasts" of an AVR - previous generations rated less than 150W, produced 165W when measured - and were rated at 110W RMS into 7 channels.
The weight of this beast is roughly on a par with my old Integra DTR 70.4 "Beast" at circa 22kg vs the old one at 24kg - similar "ball park" figure - and I hold out some hope for its capabilities under load and with low impedance speakers.
I look forward to seeing it tested properly!

3) Dual independent sub outputs (provides the basis for proper optimisation of 2 subs)

4) Dirac Live RoomEQ - this comes as standard
5) Dirac Live Bass Control (DLBC) - optional upgrades from the Dirac website

6) Auro3D in Spring 2023 via firmware update
7) All channels powered (other than subs) - no need for additional external amps for 7.x.4
8) Initial announced pricing of US$3200

Musings on the above:

• Hmm the number 8, and the recent certification of the Pioneer LX805, seem to point to a Pioneer version.
  • Will the pioneer version be a full clone, with Class AB power amps, or will it continue the Class-D tradition in the Pioneer stream, differentiating the brands within the family?
  • All previous mentions of the Onkyo family have named the RZ70 - yet now we have an 8 series rather than a 7 series.... does that mean the RZ70 will be a step down in various ways? And presumably the RZ90 a step up? (possibly the RZ90 as pre only, although earlier DTS-Playfi compatibility listings included RZ90 in both Pre and AVR versions)
  • Onkyo and Pioneer announcements cannot be far away (can they?)

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
6 HDMI 2.1 ports (40 Gbps), Dirac Live + DLBC (upgradable). I think this is the first receiver outside of Arcam/Trinnov/NAD to be Roon Ready, albeit in September. Very nice looking AVR!

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
So I see it has two independent sub out in rca. Do u guys think the xlr sub out is also independent? That could give us a true 4 independent sub out. Denon marantz can't be the only players to have it in this price range. Do u guys think this amp build is better than the cinema 40 with there small boards used to house the channels?

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
So I see it has two independent sub out in rca. Do u guys think the xlr sub out is also independent? That could give us a true 4 independent sub out. Denon marantz can't be the only players to have it in this price range. Do u guys think this amp build is better than the cinema 40 with there small boards used to house the channels?
The Cinema 40 has the small channel boards with the large heatsink - that large heatsink does inspire confidence... and it has some space for the air to move.

The Integra has a series of smaller heatsinks (4 of them) - also heavy duty, but to me, the way they are squeezed in is concerning... I would be looking for reviewer feedback on how hot those heatsinks get. They look like they are designed more for fan forced cooling rather than convection - which can be a worry.

Having said that, experience since circa 2008, is that the main source of heat isn't the power amps but the DSP and HDMI chips....

The Integra according to their blurbs - has only 2 channels of sub processing - each channel is then provided with both two RCA outputs (in parallel) as well as one XLR output.... so we have 2 channels x 3 outputs - 6 total subwoofer connection points, but only 2 channels.

I expect they might aim for 4 sub outs in the RZ90/DR-R1.4...

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
How long do u think the wait is for the dr-r1.4 comes out? I don't know how much longer I can wait for the perfect model.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
How long do u think the wait is for the dr-r1.4 comes out? I don't know how much longer I can wait for the perfect model.
Not the foggiest!

They were all expected out mid last year.... and nothing happened.

We've known of their existence since Jan 2022 when the DTS PlayFi compatibility listing included all the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer flagship models.

Interestingly, at the time there was an Integra 7.4 but no 8.4 - so over the subsequent year things seem to have shifted.

It is up to Voxx / PAC to decide when to launch the rest of the flagship models - I would hope they would launch them before mid year!

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
I would bet there going to wait another year. Look at the holes in the denon marantz line up. No cinema 30 8015 replacement, 6800h missing, no mid level pre/pro from marantz. Even the new arcams have been missing for months now. Emotiva had planned an updated high end avr for end of last year and no word on what happen there. I hate playing this waiting game im the worst at it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The demand seems to be there, but manufacturers may still be facing supply chain related issues such as chip shortages due to trade war, sanctions related ones, and whatever..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis