Onkyo HT530's and frequency response

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for speakers for a 5.1 setup. I primarily want something that will sound good listening to music, particularly SACD and DVD-A. In general, I have not been impressed with the sound from HTIB packages. However, Onkyo has a package, SKS-HT530, which they sell as speaker-only package, or combined with a receiver for HTIB, which sound much better than the typical packages.

One thing that I found interesting is the listed frequency response of these speakers. Onkyo lists the fronts and center at 55Hz-50kHz, and the surrounds at 60Hz-20kHz. The lows certainly extend lower than many other HTIB packages, which is why they sound fuller (although certainly not as full as good floor standing speakers). But I was very interested in the 50kHz high end of the range. Most other speakers I've looked at, including very expensive units, tend to top at 20kHz-22kHz. Does this mean that these speakers produce sounds in the higher frequencies that other speakers do not? Are there other speakers, in any price range, that show 50kHz frequency response? Does this even matter, or is that something that really doesn't matter, since we don't hear frequencies that high anyway?

Also, does anyone have these speakers at home, and how do they sound? I've only heard them out on the floor at a circuit city (not in a listening room), and could only compare them with other HTIB packages, and as I've said, I thought they were noticeably better. At around $279 for the package (speakers-only), they seem like an incredible value. If I try to build a 5.1 package around floor standing fronts, I can't seem to do it for much less $1,300. Is there anything in between (in terms of price) that will deliver fuller/deeper sound from the fronts when listening to music, without costing 4-times as much?

Thanks in advance for the help.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You hit the nail on the head, no one can hear 50kHz. I doubt that would even be in the audible levels anyway, as no +/-dB rating is listed, so it's probably very much below the response of the normal frequencies. It's a moot point.

Another option would be to go for BIC DV84 floorstanders up front (they're around $150 each, shipped, so $300 for the pair). Then add on a a matching center channel ($105 shipped) and two bookshelves for the rear ($125 shipped), and $191 shipped for the 12" sub. That comes to $741 shipped overall. Not as bad as $1300, but still considerably more than the Onkyo option.

BIC

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
For a short time I had the Onkyo ?520? ?510? speaker system. No doubt a previous version of the 530. Not very impressive for music. I got it for $140. For a while it worked for me. I believe you said $270?? Too much money.

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the recommendation, jaxvon

I checked out the BIC website, and I really liked what I saw. I am very anxious to check these out in person - do you know where I can listen to them? I live in Northern California, near San Francisco. Any chains that you know of carry them?

I really think the BIC front towers and center speaker may work well for me. I would like to be able to mount the surround speakers on the wall, so I am not sure if the bookshelf BICs are necessarily the best choice. Do you think there would be any problem mounting the BIC bookshelfs on the wall (I could not find the weight of the speakers). If they are not suitable for wall mounting, do you have any other suggestions for mountable surround speakers which would complement the BICs? Also, what are your thoughts on the BIC sub versus other choices. If I were willing to spend a little more on the sub, are there any other brands I should be checking out which may sound better?

Thanks for your suggestions - I appreciate it.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I am very anxious to check these out in person - do you know where I can listen to them? I live in Northern California, near San Francisco. Any chains that you know of carry them?
For Information About BIC Dealers Near You...
Call Toll Free 1-888-461-4628

I really think the BIC front towers and center speaker may work well for me. I would like to be able to mount the surround speakers on the wall, so I am not sure if the bookshelf BICs are necessarily the best choice. Do you think there would be any problem mounting the BIC bookshelfs on the wall (I could not find the weight of the speakers).
The DV62's are excellent bookshelves, and weigh about 15lbs each. They can easily be mounted on the wall. The DV52's are even smaller, but don't have the bass response the 62's do.

Also, what are your thoughts on the BIC sub versus other choices. If I were willing to spend a little more on the sub, are there any other brands I should be checking out which may sound better?
The BIC 1220 is an very good 12" sub, and hard to beat for the money. If you can stretch and double your budget, check out the subs at www.hsuresearch.com or www.svsubwoofers.com. They are arguably the best in the $500-$2000 price range. I like SVS's PB12 ISD and HSU's VTF MKII for the money, but they are quite a bit more expensive than your BIC 12". I can't say without a doubt their entry level subs will exceed the performance of the BIC 12". MacManNM would be able to answer that for you.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis