Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well it’s finally happening.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well it’s finally happening.

Is it though? :D

Haven’t we been hearing about Onkyo’s impending/imminent demise for like the past few years even before Covid?

I wonder what happens to the current warranty once the bankruptcy is finalized? It’s a good thing their AVRs are cheap.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
https://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/22/05/14/0327259/classic-japanese-audio-brand-onkyo-files-for-bankruptcy said:
Onkyo, one of the best-known Japanese manufacturers of home theater equipment, has "filed for bankruptcy at Osaka District Court on Friday, with total liabilities of around 3.1 billion yen ($24 million)," reports Nikkei Asia. The report is sparse on details but attributes the bankruptcy to a "market shift to streaming and smartphones."

In mid-2020, Onkyo USA Corporation ended a 45-year run as Onkyo's exclusive sales, marketing and distribution division for the Americas, according to Audioholics.

Onkyo has appeared in a few stories on Slashdot over the years. Our personal favorite was a story in 2003 about a new use of embedded Linux in Onkyo's home music server.
Had of few of these and I really liked the brand. I hope it can keep afloat.

https://entertainment.slashdot.org/...panese-audio-brand-onkyo-files-for-bankruptcy

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Sad To hear this, for the past week I have been listening to my Old Onkyo receiver exclusively for two channel music. Right now I have it hooked up to the Klipsch speakers, this week I switched to the B&W speakers. Sounds great either way. maybe I am being nostalgic but I love my Onkyo receivers.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Haven’t we been hearing about Onkyo’s impending/imminent demise for like the past few years even before Covid?

I wonder what happens to the current warranty once the bankruptcy is finalized? It’s a good thing their AVRs are cheap.
Poor Onkyo they got all ate up.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think this is the end of the line for old Onkyo. They have been in this trouble for quite some time and seemed to be starting to get on track but this seems like it. I really liked the Integra brand, they had some nice and affordable separates.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Haha, I swear I posted something last year about Onkyo doing belly up but then they released new AVR's a few months later. Haha.

I've never owned Onkyo, but have heard back in the day they were the bee's knees'. But I just think with how well Denon, Marantz and Yamaha have been doing, they just couldn't keep up. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Haha, I swear I posted something last year about Onkyo doing belly up but then they released new AVR's a few months later. Haha.

I've never owned Onkyo, but have heard back in the day they were the bee's knees'. But I just think with how well Denon, Marantz and Yamaha have been doing, they just couldn't keep up. :D
Closest I've come to owning an Onkyo was when I bought one from a store and then before I made it home, I turned right around and returned it. I never even opened the box. :D

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Bummer. So desperately wanted an RZ50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Sad to see any competition leave the market.

I have a 10 year old Onkyo still being used faithfully on a 2 channel setup practically daily.

Very best,

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Good thing you got that Yamaha CD player, instead of Onkyo. That was too close for comfort. :D
My oldest Son still has two Onkyo CD players. C7020 over 12 year's old and C390 6 disc player over 7 year's old still using them.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
My last two Onkyo's I've owned,
Screenshot_20220515-164053~2.png
Screenshot_20220515-163417~2.png
Screenshot_20220515-163221~2.png

THX-NR818

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TX-SR805 - Still going on 16 years now. Got it new from Amazon for $700. The only repair so far has been replacing two resistors for the front LED display. Good luck finding a 130W/8 ohm RMS 7 channel amp with THX Ultra2 certification in today's market. Also long as you not going to try to cook it in a tight space, it will be happy to work for many years.
It is missing the latest gizmos and features and doesn't do 4k, but there are many like it, but this one is mine.
I wasn't going to get Onkyo as its possible replacement anyhow due to they switched to the AccuEQ system, but since then they change the mid to hi-end model to DIRAC.
Let's just say if I see a great deal on their top stuff, I might be very tempted. Bankruptcy or not.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
So what’s the next best thing to the rz50 that has Dirac Live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

They closed a couple newly formed divisions last year....this appears to be the parent company filing now. We'll see how Sound United does under their new owner Masimo....that deal apparently closed a few weeks back https://investor.masimo.com/news/news-details/2022/Masimo-Closes-Acquisition-of-Sound-United/default.aspx

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis