Onkyo announces TX-NR3009 & 5009

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Yesterday Onkyo USA released details on the latest line of their flagship series of receivers.

Press release here

Details of the 3009 here

Details of the 5009 here

They appear to be quite similar however the 5009 sports a better DAC section (192/32 bit vs the 3009 with 192/24 bit)

Both weigh in at a respectful 55 lbs and are of course THX Ultra 2 Plus Cert.!

Can't wit to see the First Look preview coverage.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, until Onkyo improves the reliability of their AVRs, I don't think a lot of people here are very impressed.:D

I think these days, only the AVRs from Yamaha, Denon/Marantz, and Pioneer Elite get all the attention because they have been shown to be more reliable.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If I were looking for a new high-end receiver the 5009 would be high on my candidate list. Party because the 606, 707 and 906 that I have scattered around my house have been flawless and partly because of the bang for the buck feature set.

Hmmmmm who was it here that kept getting defective refurbished Denons? I know somebody here got 2 or 3 bad ones but I don't remember who. ;)

Where in my opinion Onkyo does suck is customer service. I have never dealt with a more useless and clueless bunch in my life. I don't know if it's a turnover issue, a training issue, or a management decision to be clueless and unhelpful issue but more than a tad disappointed with them. But to be fair when I wrote them about my Audyssey issues they sent me a new mic that cured the problem. Of course I got in before Audyssey declared that there wasn't any truth to the story of the wrong mics being sent out with Onkyo receivers and put a stop to Onkyo's commendably proactive but unofficial Audyssey mic recall. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
runninkyle17

runninkyle17

Audioholic
I currently own an Onkyo 805 and while it has been a really great receiver, I don't really think my next upgrade will be an Onkyo unit. I will have to see how the 5009 performs and what type of DACS it uses.

Personally I am more interested in the feature set of the possible Integra 80.3 (or Onkyo equivalent).

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Sweet, I've been waiting on these higher end Onkyo units. I'll have to dig into their feature sets and see if they have everything I expect/want

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Personally I am more interested in the feature set of the possible Integra 80.3 (or Onkyo equivalent).
Then have a look at the Onkyo TX-NR5009, 'cause the Integra DTR-80.3 receiver will just be a clone of that (just as the 80.2 was a clone of the TX-NR5008) and the DHC-80.3 pre-amp will be a clone of the Onkyo PR-SC5509, which is just the TX-NR5009 minus the internal amps and plus XLR connectors :D

Having a quick look through, I'm rather surprised to see two expected features "missing":

1) No Audyssey LFC - I was really expecting to see this.

2) No 11.2 pre-outs. The Denon 4311 had it, I'm expecting the Denon 4312 to have it. I can understand having 9 channel amps, not 11, but what would it really cost/take to put in the extra pre-outs? Even if you could only run 9.2 signals, it'd be nice to be able to connect an 11.2 speaker configuration and then choose which 9 speakers to run (although being able to run all 11 would, of course, be even better ;) )

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I dissapoint

a) No make Coffee
b) No make B .... J ' ... s

:rolleyes::D

[/trolling]

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmmmm who was it here that kept getting defective refurbished Denons? I know somebody here got 2 or 3 bad ones but I don't remember who. ;)
Don't.... know..... what you are referring to.:eek:

Never heard of him.:D

No, I think PENG was right.

Ecost and Dakmart suck 100%.

Accessories4less rules 100%.

I don't think I would be too afraid of buying a higher-end Onkyo like the 5009 + a 5 yr ext warranty from A4L or some other good rep company.......as long as I only have to pay $1,000. :D

It does tickle me to see that the Onkyo can upscale to 4K resolution. Now I need to get a $100,000 4K projector to utilize this function to it's full potential :D

Last edited:
sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It does tickle me to see that the Onkyo can upscale to 4K resolution. Now I need to get a $100,000 4K projector to utilize this function to it's full potential :D
Like you aren't already scheming on one of those projectors for Christmas... Now how to convince the wife. :p

G

glenncontreras

Audiophyte
I just looked throught them there not that much different from the Nr809 even the 809 is certified THX 2 select the only difference i see is in the eletrical capacity and internal eletrical components that slight change beside the 7.2 to 9.2 you can get with nr1009 what would be the bang for the buch on the others after the nr1009

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
...what would be the bang for the buch on the others after the nr1009
The biggest bang-for-buck models in Onkyo's lineup, IMO, are the TX-NR709 and the TX-NR5009, with MAYBE the TX-NR1009 stuffed in between.

The 709 is pretty much the least expensive receiver out there to offer full 7.2 channel pre-outs for use with a separate amp. That's a HUGE feature in my book and I find it ridiculous that all of the other manufacturers charge more by putting it into higher-level/priced receivers only. The 709 also has Audyssey MultEQ XT while pretty much all of its competition only has MultEQ or some other auto-setup that isn't as robust as the XT version of Audyssey.

The 1009 is the first jump to 9 channel amps, so there's that.

The 5009 really is the bang-for-buck champ though. It's a true "flagship" receiver selling for around $2500 street. It's all about that massive and tremendously better power section over any of the other models. It might not seem to add any features, but that huge toroidal transformer is worth the difference in price! You've got your MultEQ XT32 and almost every other feature and input under the sun. Compared to other "flagship" receivers - many of which don't offer the same number of features and inputs or even power for that matter - the Onkyo 5009 is a steal.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
4K?

Pshaw!

4K is for losers. I want me some Super High Vision 8K dammit!

:D

G

glenncontreras

Audiophyte
with this economy the way things are going we:rolleyes: will be lucky if this nation gets to see 1440dpi which is really the next step then comes the 4K(3xxxdpi :rolleyes: but hey who knows i think the way of the future is projectors the flat screen tv is begining to hit its peak. it only took us just a few years to make the jump from 720p to 1080P and know we been with just different version of HZ and 3D of 10809 I would think we should aleast be on 1440 by now. but yeah i keep seeing projector screen keep getting wider and bigger and projector getting much better with better option then flat screens these new A/v receiever that are coming out clearly are really meant for projectors:cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
4K?

Pshaw!

4K is for losers. I want me some Super High Vision 8K dammit!

:D
Oh, that's right, I recall "The Sound of Music" was remastered with 8K Video.

Not that I watch "The Sound of Music" or anything like that. I just read it somewhere that's all.:D

Yeah, I'm not upgrading until I see that 8K on board.:cool:

But if Denon were to offer me a firmware that could put 4K resolution in my AVP-A1, then shoot, I'm there. (Dreaming my life away......) :D

T

tailwater

Audiophyte
I just upgraded from my 3007 that i loved to the 5009... their is no comparison as far a sound quality and power. So far I am very satisfied with this receiver, great bang for the buck.

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
Where in my opinion Onkyo does suck is customer service. I have never dealt with a more useless and clueless bunch in my life. I don't know if it's a turnover issue, a training issue, or a management decision to be clueless and unhelpful issue but more than a tad disappointed with them. :rolleyes:
I can't say I've needed to utilize customer service with audio components much, but I do know that CS is often useless for just about anything.

I listened to a radio talk show discussing a survey where only 1 in 5 people were satisfied with their CS experience in general. They then proceeded to teach you the correct way to bypass CS in order to get anything done.

C

ChrisL9472

Audioholic Intern
Well... I got their top of the line 2-channel receiver w/o HDMI's so I'm good to go (I hope)! :)

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Hey does Onkyo only give you the manual on a disc and not in book style? Nevermind.......

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis