ONKYO A/V Tuner/Amplifier TX-SV414PRO

B

Bob3209483434

Audiophyte
I was thinking of buying something similar to this, except for around 30$ from someone. I'm a HT beginner, and was wondering whether or not this was worth it. Would this be any good if hooked up to something like a pair of Polk R15s (mostly just for music/movies)? I'm only planning on using 2 speakers until I can get some more money. It seems pretty old, I don't know much about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3094610755&category=39797

Onkyo Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Receiver
Stereo Mode:
Front L/R channels:
60 Watts per channel min. RMS. at 8ohms, both channels driven from 20Hz to 20,000Hz Continuous Power output: 2x90 watts 4ohms OR 2x70 watts 8ohms

Surround Mode:
Front L/R & center channels: 50 watts per channel min. RMS at 8ohms.
Rear channels: 15 watts per channel min. RMS at 8 ohms.

U

Unregistered

For $30, I would say it is a decent buy - as long as you are aware of what features it has vs newer receivers and it will meet your needs. Until recently, I owned a TX-SV525 (one model number above the 414). It was bought new in '96 and is still going strong (gave it to a family member).

Just be aware that it is a Pro-Logic receiver and cannot decode today's formats, like Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. If your DVD player has a built-in DD decoder, you can connect it using the analog outputs and the receiver can then apply Pro-Logic processing to the output of the dvd. It also lacks today's convenience features such as adjustable crossover, bass management, etc, but in terms of power and sound quality, it is quite good for a starter system.

If you decide you want modern processing, most mfg's have entry level receiver that are very good, for less than $300 - sometimes much less on sale or B-Stock (has been returned and re-furbished, usually still with same warranty as new). For $30, I say get it and use it until you feel the need to upgrade.

B

Bob3209483434

Audiophyte
thanks for the reply. i think i'll be buying it since you can't really go wrong with a reciever for 30$.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis