Onkyo 9 channel amp with what else?

S

SRR

Audioholic Intern
Will have a Onkyo 9 channel amp I think circa 2012, soon, like within a week or so. With what should I pair it with, a denon 3600h, marantz 7705, etc. the choices have me confused but excited too. Pairing with a JBL THX system from 1996. And some jbl control1 for the atmos height speakers. Will eventually get another pair of speakers for rear surround. But for now 5.2.4 is what I have. And yes will get another amp to flush it all out. BUDGET: 1600~ max. Less is good too. More might be possible and not afraid of refurb/renewed from amazon or something along those lines. Help?!?

Oh currently have a Onkyo 787. No preamp outs so with out a upgrade that 9 channel amp is pretty worth less. LOL. Oh and edit: I also have a Dayton subwoofer amp for the two JBL subs that came with the JBL THX, system.

And thanks.

Last edited:
S

SRR

Audioholic Intern
So I think I'm going to go with the Denon, besides auro 3d am I missing much between that and the marantz 7705?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon 3600 has amps on board, the 7705 doesn't so a pretty major difference between the two units. Haven't compared their full feature set myself, tho. Getting avrs with pre-outs is much handier IMO for amp flexibility and keeping amps to a minimum....

S

SRR

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the reply. Is the loss of auro 3d a deal breaker to anyone? I doubt it right? I would like to have thx cert still (have it now). But won't die with out it, I guess. Is the onkyo 3100 an older product? Or the 5100?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never heard an Auro 3D setup myself (I haven't even gone to Atmos type speakers). THX certification doesn't mean all that much any more IMO, altho it can give you an idea of spec range at a glance I suppose if you know what the parameters for each type are. The 3100/5100 appear to be a few years old, released about 3 years ago. The 3100 is an avr, the 5100 a pre-pro.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Im going to second the THX cert doesnt matter anymore, especially when you are up at denon 3600 and up territory which are far beyond the normal old THX specs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is the loss of auro 3d a deal breaker to anyone?
It's a dying breed.

Most people don't have any Auro3D contents and some people have a few that they have obtained from the very few available Auro3D contents in Europe and Australia.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis