One Love, Bob Marley All Star Tribute DVD

A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>This film was well produced with very high quality audio and interesting camera sequences. &nbsp;The bright audio is an excellent way to show off a high-end audio system. &nbsp;Very little information is sent to the rear speakers, but the feeling of being there is well done. &nbsp;The overall performances of the various artists were generally good. &nbsp;The traditional Jamaican artists were by far the most enjoyable (Marley family members, Jimmy Cliff, Toots, Harper...). &nbsp;However, the modern rap singers (Queen Latifa, Lauren Hill, Erykah Badu) really detracted from an otherwise excellent grouping of artists. &nbsp;Rap versions of Bob Marley songs don’t do him justice, and ruined some of the songs for me. &nbsp;Tracy Chapman was a surprisingly excellent addition to the lineup. &nbsp;Her deep voice and range fit well with Bob Marley ballads. &nbsp;Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders was under whelming, but I enjoy her vocals on my best of UB40 cd.</font>

I

im timmy

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#A8A8A8'>Allangarman, have you had a chance to listen to the dvd-audio discs put out for Bob Marley and the Whalers. There are a few of them I believe and I was just wondering your opinion on the discs, that is if you listen to dvd-a formats? Thanks, tIMMY
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
A

allengarman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I was not aware of any Marley disks available in the DVD-A format. &nbsp;

I do however own three DVD-As, &quot;Best of the 80s&quot;, &quot;Bach Organ Spectacular&quot;, and &quot;Diana Krall&quot;. &nbsp;The new more detailed format excites me. &nbsp;My favorable impression of the DVD-A format relates to their technical superiority and my limited listening experience. &nbsp;Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to compare the exact same song/artist on both DVD-A and CD. &nbsp; I did note something that was rather astonishing to me. &nbsp;The “Best of the 80s” DVD-A contains the Billy Idol song “Rebel Yell”. &nbsp;His voice contains a remarkable level of warmth and realism that I have never encountered in any CD recording. &nbsp;I recall that his voice always seemed more distant and cold. &nbsp;Ultimately, I am not sure if the sound quality improvement is primarily derived from the splitting of the audio between the 5 speakers, or perhaps from the higher resolution recording. &nbsp;I have also recently purchased a set of 5 high-end speakers from Sapphire Audio, so my perceived improvement in quality may be partly due to the speakers.

I have noted that the new speakers revel more of the music detail of some of my old CDs. &nbsp;Again, it would be nice to directly compare the same CD and DVD-A. &nbsp;Perhaps one of the new Bob Marley recordings on DVD-A will give me that opportunity.

Thank you for the suggestion. &nbsp;Where have you seen them sold?</font>

I

im timmy

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#A8A8A8'>Looks like were in the wrong section to chat about dvd-a but since it's just me and you replying. Dvd Empire. com had some Bob Marley for dvd-a, and If I remember correctly I thought I saw a disc at best buy. The format blew me away when a sales guy first demoed it at tweeter for me. Alot of posts that I come across regarding dvd-a mention the clarity and sounds that were never heard before on cd when played in the new formats. Your experience with Billy Idol doesn't surprise me given the format and yes your new speakers! Hopefully the formats will stay alive and catch on more in the mainstream. I want to get the blueman group disc, it really exemplifies the surround sound on dvd-a. Just got back from Jamaica on a honeymoon and was taken by some live reggae performances down there. Most notably JhenI, not sure that is the correct spelling of his name. Anyway just interested in some Bob Marley like yourself. Maybe we can chat in the new format section and exchange opinions on certain discs. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis